Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So Which Is It?
Newman can come back if injuries required it or "No, once you become a coach, you cannot play that year"?
http://www.startribune.com/vikings-teren...492356491/

Then again, Newman also left the door open to returning. In fact, if injuries mounted at nickel back, he said, “I wouldn’t have a choice. … I would definitely do it, but I hope I don’t have to.”

Is it a collective bargaining isse? How else could they stop him? Players have retired and un-retired before. Maybe not eligible for game 1, but otherwise, why not?

I was wondering this as well. If he chose retirement he should be able to un-retire. The Vikings had him under contract when he retired they retain his rights. Or so I thought. If they cut him it would be different. 
Mike Tice retire in 1993 then played 3 games in 1995.  I don't  remember if he started being TE coach in between. That might be the difference. I don't know how they could stop Newman if he wanted to.

If it is a rule it makes sense,  otherwise teams would just make veteran cuts into coaches to stash for later in the season if needed essentially cheating the roster number rules.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
If it is a rule it makes sense,  otherwise teams would just make veteran cuts into coaches to stash for later in the season if needed essentially cheating the roster number rules.
I agree but didn't Newman retire not get cut? I guess the league probably wouldn't like your scenario. If he was cut then the Vikes would lose his rights anyhow. There would be no stashing. I still don't see where it matters. If he retires and takes up gardening as a hobby then gets bored he can un-retire. If he coaches and says being around it makes me want to play he can't?_?  Sounds like a court battle.

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I agree but didn't Newman retire not get cut? I guess the league probably wouldn't like your scenario. If he was cut then the Vikes would lose his rights anyhow. There would be no stashing. I still don't see where it matters. If he retires and takes up gardening as a hobby then gets bored he can un-retire. If he coaches and says being around it makes me want to play he can't?_?  Sounds like a court battle.
if he is around the team he would be more involved day to day and it would be just about like having an extra guy on the practice squad.  I can see it either way,  but they have to try and do something to maintain a little integrity in their rosters.

however its not like Brady wont be getting 10 million a year for life for some sort of bull shit title from the pats after he is done.  

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@suncoastvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
if he is around the team he would be more involved day to day and it would be just about like having an extra guy on the practice squad.  I can see it either way,  but they have to try and do something to maintain a little integrity in their rosters.

however its not like Brady wont be getting 10 million a year for life for some sort of bull shit title from the pats after he is done.  
I get it. Gardening was a lame comparison. Not apples to apples. I still wonder if the league should be allowed to say he can't. He resigns as a coach files for reinstatement. They can say yes but not with the team that has your right or the one you want to play for. They have to cut you and you clear waivers 1st or something. Then someone could claim you to extort a draft pick. That still seems wrong to me. Integrity or not.

No person employed by a club as a coach, trainer, or in any capacity other than as a player, including, but not limited to, consultants, independent contractors, part-time employees, paid or unpaid interns, or any other person(s) providing non-player services to the club, may play for that club or any other club in that same season.

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
No person employed by a club as a coach, trainer, or in any capacity other than as a player, including, but not limited to, consultants, independent contractors, part-time employees, paid or unpaid interns, or any other person(s) providing non-player services to the club, may play for that club or any other club in that same season.

Thank you.

Makes sense.