Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Love pours in for Zamberletti as news of his grave condition spreads
Bud Grant visited Fred Zamberletti a couple of days ago and there was no laughter to share. The former Vikings trainer couldn't communicate.

A rosary was wrapped in Fred Zamberletti’s right hand early on Friday morning at Methodist Hospital. He has the thick, strong hands that served him well as the head trainer from the Vikings inception in 1961 through 2003, although there now seemed to be swelling that would reflect the infections that have been slowly taking Fred’s life.
“There were two things that Dad listened to on the radio every day: sports talk and the recitation of the rosary,’’ said Juli, the youngest of Fred’s four children, following Lisa, Lori and Tom.
The grip on the rosary has not been the extent of Zamberletti’s preparations for his Going Home (in the religious sense). He had the family contact six priests that he knows from various parishes, encouraging them to visit.
“There was one day when I’m sure that he took Communion three times,” said Juli, with a smile.
On Friday, she alternately laughed while telling of her father’s peculiarities, and then fought tears while telling of visits and messages Zamby had received as news of his grave condition spread among former Vikings and an untold number of friends.
“One of the last days when Dad still was able to communicate, Bob Lurtsema was here,” Juli said. “Lurts had him laughing so hard that I thought that was going to do him in right then.”
Bud Grant visited a couple of days ago and there was no laughter to share. Zamby couldn’t communicate and Bud was very tearful.
“Randy Moss called last night,” Juli said. “I asked him to put a message on voice mail, so we can play it for Dad.”
Moss’ message on Thursday assured Zamby that he had a special place in Randy’s heart, and that he appreciated many things, including Zamby teaching him the “ancient game of Bocce,” and then said:
“When you walk to the Golden Gates of Heaven, you have done it, you have served your purpose, buddy.”
http://www.startribune.com/love-pours-in...492198061/

I am touched that Randy Moss reached out to Fred. 

So sad.   A real Viking legend.   I hope they do big honors for him.

Quote: @twgerber said:
So sad.   A real Viking legend.   I hope they do big honors for him.
I'm sure they will, he's already in the ring of honor - I think. 

Blessings to Fred and the Zamberletti family.

wow, the name Zamberletti is synonymous with the Vikings in my memory.  Glad he is getting the love from friends and family and he seems to have his priorities in order.  May God watch over him and his family in this difficult time.

Quote: @Caactorvike said:
I'll forever be on the bandwagon that Randy was a really misunderstood guy. He's rough around the edges and says some really dickheaded things, but I think he's a real sweetheart when it counts. 

Quote: @KingBash said:
@Caactorvike said:
I'll forever be on the bandwagon that Randy was a really misunderstood guy. He's rough around the edges and says some really dickheaded things, but I think he's a real sweetheart when it counts. 
I completely agree.