Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I'm hearing PA was laying out some big hints of Vikings OL trade today...
Anyone else here him?  New left OG and that we'll have to trade a starter to get a starter...

Hmmmm...

Not saying he isn't correct or that it might not happen, but my question is: why would PA know? I mean, he's just the announcer. Who knows, maybe he hears things. Has he been known to have inside scoop on stuff in the past?

If its a starter for a starter, then this will be a meaningful trade for the Vikings. I'll say this: I think the team has had their eyes opened up on the quality of their backup OGs and its not pretty. They've got talent to spare on defense.

He hinted about a trade last week before the jags showed up....talked about familiarity and getting to see a player first hand prior to the trade.

If this goes down I think it talks about how far from ready Elflein really is. With the trade for Jones and now potentially this that really makes me wonder how bad it is for both Elflein and Easton long term.

Very interesting....and likely depressing,  these types of moves rarely work out as intended.

[Image: tbhr85n9gbxkq1fofsyj.jpg?resize=780%2C405&ssl=1]
 Image courtesy of Vikings.com
SpeculationPaul Allen on KFAN: Vikings Could Still Make a Trade for “Lineman or Line-men”The Vikings may pull the trigger on another trade before the regular season.
[Image: 7d0b8aa232ce45585c4da51ee2e42bb6?s=140&d=mm&r=g] Sean Borman Aug 29, 2018
 0 2 minutes read
Paul Allen, radio host of the “Nine to Noon” program on KFAN and voice of the Vikings, said on the air today that the Vikings may not be done making moves.
Quote:
[Image: Me_on_the_news_normal.jpg]
PA on @KFAN1003 says #Vikings could still make a trade for another “lineman or line-men” before the regular season begins. Suggested a DB could be traded for an experienced, starting OL to protect Kirk Cousins
10:50 AM - Aug 29, 2018
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Allen suggested that the team may look to trade a defensive back for an experienced, starting offensive lineman to protect quarterback Kirk Cousins. Now, the topic of debate becomes who that defensive back may be.
Because of the acquisition of safety George Iloka, the Vikings have a surplus of talent in the secondary. It makes sense for the team to trade from a position of strength to address a position of need, but can the right deal be reached?
Possible trade candidatesTrae Waynes, Mackensie Alexander, Anthony Harris and Jayron Kearse have to be seen as the likeliest candidates to be traded. Cornerbacks like Holton Hill, Craig James and Horace Richardson could also be traded, but they don’t hold near enough value to receive a starting offensive lineman in return. Their presence and upside, however, make it possible for the team to be comfortable trading one of their upper-tier defensive backs.
TRAE WAYNESWaynes is the only starter in the candidate pool. He also has the most trade value. With the emergence of rookie cornerback Mike Hughes, he may be looked at as a dispensable commodity. However, he’s a former first-rounder, bonafide starter and one of Zimmer’s first draft picks as a head coach. It may be a stretch to think the team would move on from an improving 26 year-old cornerback.
MACKENSIE ALEXANDERAlexander may be the most plausible trade candidate. He doesn’t have a ton of value to the team if coaches think Hughes can play the slot. Plus, there’s an experienced backup on the roster in veteran Terence Newman. In fact, an article published this morning on NFL.com named Alexander as a “trade candidate.” Here’s what Gregg Rosenthal said of the 24 year-old:
Quote:Mackensie Alexander, CB, Minnesota Vikings: First-round pick Mike Hughes might win the starting nickel job, with veteran Terence Newman also coming off the bench. That doesn’t leave much room for 2016 second-rounder Alexander, who suffered an ankle injury that could jeopardize his status for Week 1.
ANTHONY HARRISCarrying five safeties on the roster is a lot, even with Iloka playing a hybrid LB role. Could another team be interested in acquiring Harris or Kearse and making them a starting safety? Harris is a restricted free agent following the season, which increases his value to a new team. Plus, his cap hit in 2018 is only $705K. In three starts last season, the 27 year-old earned a 75.4 Pro Football Focusgrade.
JAYRON KEARSEKearse, 24, is under contract through the 2019 season. The 6-foot-4, 215-pound safety physically fits the mold of what Zimmer likes in a defensive back, but he hasn’t received a ton of playing time. In 15 games played last season he earned a 65.7 PFF grade. It’s highly unlikely a team would give up a starting offensive lineman for Kearse, but he still holds potential that could bring back a decent return for the Vikings in a trade.

Allen may not be 100% accurate when it comes to Vikings rumors, but in the past he has been rather precise with his speculation. Most recently he suggested the team would make a “sneaky trade” for an offensive lineman sometime this preseason. Well, that happened on Sunday when the Vikings traded with the New York Giants to acquire offensive lineman Brett Jones.
Will Allen’s latest conjecture come to fruition? We’ll find out within ten days.

a name left off that should be on there is Sandejo,  he could be the easiest one to replace with what is in house.  And 2.  10 days?  Why would anybody wait so long to make a move for a starter?   I would think both teams would want to get a player in house as soon as possible.

If they trade for someone they better do it quickly so they have time to get up to speed. I have a hard time seeing Zimmer trading any of his starters on defense. If he did it would have to be Waynes. Alexander is a far more likely candidate IMO. Interestingly, there is a ton of buzz out there right now that Philly guard Chance Warmack is on the market. 

From Albert Breer:

Five days from now is cut-down day, which means trade talk is about to heat up across the NFL. And the last year or so has provided proof that teams are far more open to dealing, and dealing for, veterans than ever before.
With that backdrop, I’ll repeat what was in this space last week: Offensive linemen are the hottest commodity out there on the market, making it good to be a team with any sort of depth up front. You could see it in what the Bills put in front of Allen on Sunday, and what Josh Rosen has had to operate in front of in Arizona. The league just doesn’t have enough of the big guys.
Who could be moved? Colts OT Austin Howard, Raiders OT Jylan Ware, Eagles OG Chance Warmack and Bears C Hroniss Grasu were among the names I’ve heard as available, with Howard and Warmack carrying extensive starting experience.

The only DB with any value for a starting, decent OL is Waynes.....and I guess I'd be shocked if that happened. If you trade Alexander, what would you really get in return? Not sure. 

It is funny that he didn't mention Sendejo. Some of us thought he was dead man walking when they sign IIoka. Not even trade bait now??? If we are talking starting caliber olineman. His list should be halfed. Unless we sweeten the offer.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
The only DB with any value for a starting, decent OL is Waynes.....and I guess I'd be shocked if that happened. If you trade Alexander, what would you really get in return? Not sure. 
Trading Waynes is unlikely for that very reason. It would be a massive trade for a high-level starter. Who's going to give up a high-level starter? And Zimmer isn't going to want to give up one of the key pieces of his defense either. Alexander makes a lot more sense, and he does have solid value. He's a 24-year-old, Zimmer-trained, former 2nd round pick not making any money, caught up in a numbers game. If we we needed help at corner, that's exactly the kind of player we'd be looking for.