Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Officiating
Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@kmillard said:
Make them all sign a release. End of problem.
I know these refs aren't to blame,  and many are likely as frustrated as the fans and players, but dammit they need speak up themselves at some point as to home impossible to enforce  the owners are making the rules for them. 
I sorta think that might be what's happening here. "I'm going to throw a flag here to show the NFL just how stupid this is." I hope all those twitter posts results in a serious backlash. It's even more infuriating that it came about because of Barr's hit on that cream puff in Green Bay. Man, we can't hit him hard enough this year. 

The helmet call against the Jags was almost as bad. As Leber pointed out, what's a defender supposed to do? If the ball carrier lowers his head, you either lower yours, take it in the belly, or let him go by you. And calling that on the ball carrier, which is just as possible, is even more ridiculous. How is a ball carrier supposed to run through traffic without lowering his head?  
yep,  if I was a jags fan I would be about as pissed as we were after yesterdays officiating debacle.  young hoculi is certainly picking right up where he dad left off in terms of running a crew that isnt afraid of throwing hankies.

If that bullshit roughing the passer call was an indication of how the league is going, that might finally be my breaking point. I'm serious: my Vikings could turn into a team I follow through the headlines. I need to watch real football. I'll start watching college and force myself to get into it...

This is absolutely ludicrous. 

Quote: @KingBash said:
If that bullshit roughing the passer call was an indication of how the league is going, that might finally be my breaking point. I'm serious: my Vikings could turn into a team I follow through the headlines. I need to watch real football. I'll start watching college and force myself to get into it...

This is absolutely ludicrous. 
Except that the targeting rule has had a major impact on college football. That has changed the college game and not for the better. I know there are malicious hits but there are plenty that are not illegal that get called. But I still follow college ball. And there is a change in the learning curve because of the different rules in college and pro ball. 

I was wondering if he hit the qb in the facemask when down.  I caught it on a replay.  And Zimmer said something like he was going for the ball to the ref.  

It wasn’t roughing shit.  It was a textbook tackle.  Maybe they should give a penalty based on how much it looks like it hurt?

Now I’m second guessing every sack 
On the nice take down by Odenigbo, flags went flying
& I’m like “ That was holding too... or did he tackle him too hard ? “

Yet another stupid rule that can go either way every play & will decide games

Quote: @Maple Surple said:

If he hadn't been held it was going to be roughing the passer.  That's the one that pisses me off the most,  there just is no fucking way to hit them legally anymore.

People say kickers and punters aren't really football players,  fuck that, these QBs are the ones that shouldn't be considered football players.  Hell half these QBs are as big as some DES amd LBs,  how are they supposed to get those guys down with falling on them?  We saw Bortles trying to avoid going down yesterday and our guy was above him and trying to hold him down without putting his weight on hin.....what a bunch of bull shit.

will make the game unwatchable.  

Just like his dad.... the kid likes to be on TV.  If the refs have this much control of the game...

To quote Ben Leber...  “I’m done”.  

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Maple Surple said:

If he hadn't been held it was going to be roughing the passer.  That's the one that pisses me off the most,  there just is no fucking way to hit them legally anymore.

People say kickers and punters aren't really football players,  fuck that, these QBs are the ones that shouldn't be considered football players.  Hell half these QBs are as big as some DES amd LBs,  how are they supposed to get those guys down with falling on them?  We saw Bortles trying to avoid going down yesterday and our guy was above him and trying to hold him down without putting his weight on hin.....what a bunch of bull shit.
What was most frustrating about that "flag" that they picked up was that their reasoning for it NOT being a penalty on Odengbo necessitates that it should have been a penalty on Jacksonville, but they didn't call it.

"There is no roughing the passer because the defender was tackled into the quarterback."

Ummm, okay... so that should be "Holding. Offense. Ten yards". But, nope. These new rules are so confusing that it has refs forgetting/ignoring existing rules that have been obvious for decades.

Quote: @Max said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Maple Surple said:

What was most frustrating about that "flag" that they picked up was that their reasoning for it NOT being a penalty on Odengbo necessitates that it should have been a penalty on Jacksonville, but they didn't call it.

"There is no roughing the passer because the defender was tackled into the quarterback."

Ummm, okay... so that should be "Holding. Offense. Ten yards". But, nope. These new rules are so confusing that it has refs forgetting/ignoring existing rules that have been obvious for decades.
they called the holding but the Vikes declined the penalty and took the sack yardage and the down instead of the 10 yard penalty and replaying the down.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Max said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Maple Surple said:

they called the holding but the Vikes declined the penalty and took the sack yardage and the down instead of the 10 yard penalty and replaying the down.
Ah, okay... I missed that. Thanks!