Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What I love about this team
I love the hunger and spirit they have. I love the unity displayed. The guys are always working together to lift each other up. They fight hard. They teach each other and learn from each other. They are good guys that genuinely like and appreciate each other. I loved seeing when Wilson got an interception at the night practice and seeing Barr and Kendricks run it to the house with him. I love when Tocho got an interception during the first preseason game, Rhodes and Kendricks were right there celebrating.

It wasn't about being cocky, it was about sharing the a moment. It was about seeing the hard work pay off. I love how quickly guys gravitate towards Cousins. I love seeing a kicker boot a long one right down the middle. I am loving the work between Diggs and Rhodes. That competition is fierce. But there are so many one on ones like that where they make each other better. I am enjoying what I am seeing from Barone and Janocho. It was a devastating blow losing Sparano but they are working to keep the guys together and moving forward. I love seeing Cousins battle this defense.

A defense that has gotten better. Cousins is always working things through in his mind even on the spot. There is a look in his eyes that shows that intensity and determination. He sees the challenge in front of him and stares it down. Richardson next to Joseph is a huge upgrade. Those two seem to get along quite nicely. It's nice to see them laughing and working together. Cousins has developed great rapport and timing with the receivers and the running backs. I am enjoying seeing all the pieces come together. I know it's early but I am looking forward to a great season. 

I think, without a doubt and without putting on homer goggles, there is zero doubt this team likes each other and likes playing together. The culture of the organization has changed under Mike Zimmer: there are expectations and accountability within the nucleus of the team. The coaching staff is respected by the players. The organization does things the right way and are very capable. The facilities are world class. Its better from an all around, comprehensive perspective than its ever been with the Minnesota Vikings. 

They have the talent in place to legitimately contend for the Superbowl. Having said that, the NFC has never been stronger in the last 20 years. Its the premier conference in the NFL. It won't come easy. But the team has a window for sure and as you say, it should be another fun year. We'll see what happens.

Nice write up, VG, and I agree.  This is Zim's best team as the Viking HC.  I really like and appreciate the culture and discipline Zim has brought to the Vikings.   I'm already excited for game days coming up this season. 

SKOL!

I like all those things, too, VG. But I think what I like most about this team is how they currently replenish talent. At nearly every positional unit there is a wealth of young, developmental players who went late in the draft or went undrafted entirely due to inexperience. Vikings work very hard to identify them, do what it takes to land them, then red shirt them, develop them, and if all goes right, in a year or two they end up with players ready to compete for a starting job. Collins, Hill, Harris, Wilson, Sloter, Bower, Weatherly, Odenigbo are a few examples. And it's looking like they might have found a few others this year: Boone, Thomas, Zylstra, Norton could be a few more ready to take this path. 

I said this a few years ago about the Seahawks and their uncanny ability to find late round and undrafted talent. The ability to put It is the very reason they won a Super Bowl. but it's really hard to compete with a team who can supplement high rounders (Wagner and Thomas) with later round stars like Sherman, Wilson and Chancellor. 

Vikings are doing that now. And I suspect they might be able to maintain it longer if they can manage their cap better than Seattle did.  Of course, that remains to be seen. We're only just now starting to open that can of worms. 

I love they hail from my birthplace. I love the wear horns on their helmets. I love they blow a big @ss honking horn when they score.
Oh and I really love the current group of guys representing all I love.
One last thing. I really love saying SKOL!!!
It just feels good.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
I like all those things, too, VG. But I think what I like most about this team is how they currently replenish talent. At nearly every positional unit there is a wealth of young, developmental players who went late in the draft or went undrafted entirely due to inexperience. Vikings work very hard to identify them, do what it takes to land them, then red shirt them, develop them, and if all goes right, in a year or two they end up with players ready to compete for a starting job. Collins, Hill, Harris, Wilson, Sloter, Bower, Weatherly, Odenigbo are a few examples. And it's looking like they might have found a few others this year: Boone, Thomas, Zylstra, Norton could be a few more ready to take this path. 

I said this a few years ago about the Seahawks and their uncanny ability to find late round and undrafted talent. The ability to put It is the very reason they won a Super Bowl. but it's really hard to compete with a team who can supplement high rounders (Wagner and Thomas) with later round stars like Sherman, Wilson and Chancellor. 

Vikings are doing that now. And I suspect they might be able to maintain it longer if they can manage their cap better than Seattle did.  Of course, that remains to be seen. We're only just now starting to open that can of worms. 
So true.  Not saying this isn't a great group, or that Rick and Zim haven't built a great locker room, but it is easy to stay positive and excited when you see the talent and success around you. 

As to Seattle, they became a bit enamored with their ability to find late round gems and neglected the o-line and RBs.  They lost their identity when they couldn't pound on people and since they were a team built on emotion, they couldn't find that heart to drive that once lynch was gone.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:

Absolute truth. The continuity and stability is huge. They have definitely developed the depth and made some great acquisitions along the way. The culture of the team is fantastic and the front office is top notch. Add that to the stadium, the new practice facility and the guys under contract, this team is built for quite a ride. 

Quote: @Vikergirl said:
@MaroonBells said:

Absolute truth. The continuity and stability is huge. They have definitely developed the depth and made some great acquisitions along the way. The culture of the team is fantastic and the front office is top notch. Add that to the stadium, the new practice facility and the guys under contract, this team is built for quite a ride. 
I couldn't agree more. The team has a different vibe. We had years of mismanagement, bad coaching and terrible PR. Threats of moving...ect. The stadium and practice facilities are great. As a fan not really important as a good team but is a great selling point for FA's. Good for image I guess. I was happy as a teenager sitting on frozen wooden chairs at the Met. I was enjoyed several of good games in the 80's at the Metro Dome. Which was a dump I was told. I had fun and never seen a loss there in a dozen ? maybe games. They killed it in that place then. I was at the Christmas night MNF game in 1989. Bengles v Vikes winner in the playoffs loser out. We came out on top and made the Packers cry. No magic for Magic Man that year...sorry.   Ha no I'm not. I hope to get up there soon to see a game at the Bank. Looked super cool from the outside when I seen it last spring. Point is I don't need the icing I want the cake. Been along time waiting. Got a good feeling. That's hard to stir out of some of us after all these years.