Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who’s watching Teddy??
Quote: @prairieghost said:
@greediron said:
@prairieghost said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I dont see the Jets letting Teddy go in the AFC east and have to face him twice a year if their rookie struggles to produce this year.
That's a good point. His upside is enormous and what might look brilliant at one point (having the vision to sign him and get something in return) could be a source of embarrassment for them if Teddy goes on to become a franchise QB for another team. The Jets took the best QB in the draft though. Darnold is going to be a good one. 

Honestly, if Teddy goes on to be a franchise QB for another team it is going to be an embarrassment for the Vikings. They supposedly know the most about his health. Fans all believe (and I'm sure the media too) that Teddy was let go because his knee couldn't be trusted going forward...too big a risk for big dollars...et cetera....that certainly makes sense, but perhaps the real reason is the availability of Kirk Cousins versus keeping Teddy. That to me is a roll of the dice. There's no real way the Vikings could predict Teddy's progress long-term. They saw an opportunity and grabbed it but who's to say that Teddy won't be the better QB in the long run? 
I just find it hard to believe that any doctor who cares about keeping his career would have advised Teddy to go back to playing football if the risk was too high. And, Teddy's a smart guy, I don't think he would have chosen to keep playing if he had information from doctors that he faced a far greater risk than most. Ultimately I just think the Vikings thought Kirk was the better bet for THEIR long-term. Why not just say that instead of letting fans believe it was worry over Teddy's knee?
This team has only drafted 1 true franchise QB, and that was Tarkenton (unless you want to count Culpepper).  I would love nothing more than to see Cousins get us our first SB victory. I truly hope the right decision was made.
It was a calculated decision. They took the emotions out of it and made the call.  Cousins types don't make free agency.  So we had to go with the sure thing and not gamble on Teddy's health.  Would love to see him succeed and do well, but I understand the need to make that decision with the team in place.
Agreed...but if Teddy goes on and achieves great success it's going to sting a little bit. I know he wouldn't be the first QB to ever leave the team who drafted him and go on to win a SB elsewhere, but it'd be more salt dumped on every Viking fan's gaping wound, wouldn't it?  
Yeah a little... but it will be softened by the pretty indisputable fact that we made the best decision we could make with the information we had. Some of us wanted to stick with Case Keenum. That was not the right decision. Some of us wanted us to stick with Bradford and Bridgewater. But that was a dangerous decision. Sam might have a great season in AZ. Teddy may very well go on and be the kind of QB we all expected him to become. And if that happens, I'll be happy for him. But I'll still say we made the best decision we could've made with the information we had. 

Quote: @greediron said:
@StickyBun said:
I'll say this and it won't be popular: Teddy isn't a franchise QB and his upside isn't 'huge'. He can be a decent game manager, that's his ceiling. Great kid for sure. 
He is no Rodgers?  Is that what you mean?   Nobody knows yet.  He could become the next Brady or just be another journeyman.  But I doubt game manager is his ceiling.
If 'nobody knows' yet, then don't doubt game manager as a possibility. Not sure that he's shown more than that up to now. Who said anything about Rodgers?? 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@greediron said:
@StickyBun said:
I'll say this and it won't be popular: Teddy isn't a franchise QB and his upside isn't 'huge'. He can be a decent game manager, that's his ceiling. Great kid for sure. 
He is no Rodgers?  Is that what you mean?   Nobody knows yet.  He could become the next Brady or just be another journeyman.  But I doubt game manager is his ceiling.
If 'nobody knows' yet, then don't doubt game manager as a possibility. Not sure that he's shown more than that up to now. Who said anything about Rodgers?? 
If you look at the difference in how we phrased our opinions, you will see mine is consistent with it simply being an opinion.  I said I doubt.  Not stated as a fact, so the "nobody knows" works with that statement.  You tend to be a bit dramatic and post yours as fact, end of story, no discussion.  "Teddy isn't a franchise QB" and "that's his ceiling."

As to the Mr. Rodgers, that was a joke.  Maybe I should have said he is no Trubisky...  Now that guy has huge upside IIRC.

Quote: @greediron said:
@prairieghost said:
@greediron said:
@prairieghost said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I dont see the Jets letting Teddy go in the AFC east and have to face him twice a year if their rookie struggles to produce this year.
That's a good point. His upside is enormous and what might look brilliant at one point (having the vision to sign him and get something in return) could be a source of embarrassment for them if Teddy goes on to become a franchise QB for another team. The Jets took the best QB in the draft though. Darnold is going to be a good one. 

Honestly, if Teddy goes on to be a franchise QB for another team it is going to be an embarrassment for the Vikings. They supposedly know the most about his health. Fans all believe (and I'm sure the media too) that Teddy was let go because his knee couldn't be trusted going forward...too big a risk for big dollars...et cetera....that certainly makes sense, but perhaps the real reason is the availability of Kirk Cousins versus keeping Teddy. That to me is a roll of the dice. There's no real way the Vikings could predict Teddy's progress long-term. They saw an opportunity and grabbed it but who's to say that Teddy won't be the better QB in the long run? 
I just find it hard to believe that any doctor who cares about keeping his career would have advised Teddy to go back to playing football if the risk was too high. And, Teddy's a smart guy, I don't think he would have chosen to keep playing if he had information from doctors that he faced a far greater risk than most. Ultimately I just think the Vikings thought Kirk was the better bet for THEIR long-term. Why not just say that instead of letting fans believe it was worry over Teddy's knee?
This team has only drafted 1 true franchise QB, and that was Tarkenton (unless you want to count Culpepper).  I would love nothing more than to see Cousins get us our first SB victory. I truly hope the right decision was made.
It was a calculated decision. They took the emotions out of it and made the call.  Cousins types don't make free agency.  So we had to go with the sure thing and not gamble on Teddy's health.  Would love to see him succeed and do well, but I understand the need to make that decision with the team in place.
Agreed...but if Teddy goes on and achieves great success it's going to sting a little bit. I know he wouldn't be the first QB to ever leave the team who drafted him and go on to win a SB elsewhere, but it'd be more salt dumped on every Viking fan's gaping wound, wouldn't it?  
Agreed.  I liked him a lot.  Easily my favorite Viking QB since Brad Johnson.  Very likable, mature and good teammate.  Looked like he was about to tap into his potential in his 3rd year.   I hope he shows everyone where he was headed before the injury, and yes it will sting a bit.  When most players leave, I don't really care about them anymore.  But I will follow Teddy.
I will follow and cheer for Teddy too. In all my years of Vikings fandom (43 years plus) I can honestly admit he is 1 of only 2 former Vikings I have or do cheer for after they left the team—the other one was John Randle.

Quote: @prairieghost said:
@greediron said:
@prairieghost said:
@greediron said:
@prairieghost said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:

Agreed.  I liked him a lot.  Easily my favorite Viking QB since Brad Johnson.  Very likable, mature and good teammate.  Looked like he was about to tap into his potential in his 3rd year.   I hope he shows everyone where he was headed before the injury, and yes it will sting a bit.  When most players leave, I don't really care about them anymore.  But I will follow Teddy.
I will follow and cheer for Teddy too. In all my years of Vikings fandom (43 years plus) I can honestly admit he is 1 of only 2 former Vikings I have or do cheer for after they left the team—the other one was John Randle.
Same here...  my boys fell in love with Teddy and were sad to see him go.  He stuck around after practice at Training Camp last year and they got his autograph.  Super gracious and kind person, they've been huge fans ever since...  Plus the whole "Hey Tedd-ay" thing...  Lol

I've actually used some of things he's done to teach my boys life lessons...  not just about sports, but always treating people with respect and doing the right things even when no one is watching.

I hope he does well moving forward, even if it is for another team.

He will be a great backup.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@prairieghost said:
@greediron said:
@prairieghost said:
@greediron said:
@prairieghost said:
@MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:

Same here...  my boys fell in love with Teddy and were sad to see him go.  He stuck around after practice at Training Camp last year and they got his autograph.  Super gracious and kind person, they've been huge fans ever since...  Plus the whole "Hey Tedd-ay" thing...  Lol

I've actually used some of things he's done to teach my boys life lessons...  not just about sports, but always treating people with respect and doing the right things even when no one is watching.

I hope he does well moving forward, even if it is for another team.
Yeah, Teddy is a great human, no doubt about it. But I sorta think that sometimes overshadows the fact that he's also a very good QB. His football acumen and leadership are unquestioned, but just watching that Jets game I was reminded just how great his footwork is, how poised he is in the pocket, his accuracy, etc. If he can stay healthy and land somewhere where he can get some continuity and compete for the starting job, he's going to make that team very very happy. 

That has to be one of the hardest parts of the job for coaches
Having to seperate personal feelings, gut instincts, facts & input from others, including the financial ramifications.

We all know Zim had aot of respect for Teddy, & who can’t help but cheer him on ?

There's s lot of "Why didn't we sign him instead of letting the Jets??" angst. But I think Bridgewater rejected the Vikings. There were reported contract negotiations before free agency opened, and then reports Teddy would consider nothing less than $10M/year from the Vikings and that ended discussions.

Bridgewater was willing to leave Minnesota for a team with less of an opportunity for him and for less money (I believe we would have given him more than the $1M the Jets guaranteed; we're paying Siemian $1.9M). He probably could have been a backup / tradebait here with the same contract or better and he wanted out.Vikings management couldn't have done what the Jets did because Teddy didn't give us the same opportunity. Something spoiled his feelings for the Vikings.

As for where he could end up, I think, if he keeps playing well, the first team to suffer a starting QB injury will consider trading for him. But the Jets won't receive a lot for him, he's on a one year contract.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
There's s lot of "Why didn't we sign him instead of letting the Jets??" angst. But I think Bridgewater rejected the Vikings. There were reported contract negotiations before free agency opened, and then reports Teddy would consider nothing less than $10M/year from the Vikings and that ended discussions.

Bridgewater was willing to leave Minnesota for a team with less of an opportunity for him and for less money (I believe we would have given him more than the $1M the Jets guaranteed; we're paying Siemian $1.9M). He probably could have been a backup / tradebait here with the same contract or better and he wanted out.Vikings management couldn't have done what the Jets did because Teddy didn't give us the same opportunity. Something spoiled his feelings for the Vikings.

As for where he could end up, I think, if he keeps playing well, the first team to suffer a starting QB injury will consider trading for him. But the Jets won't receive a lot for him, he's on a one year contract.
Could be the same reason we have mixed feelings about him going elsewhere.  Could have been some emotions tied up in it.  Maybe after risking himself last year to be the backup when Bradford went down, he may have wanted some guarantee here.  Hard to say, but I can understand wanting to move on once it was apparent the Vikings had.