Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zim and Kickers
Okay, I remember hearing a sound bite from Zimmer his rookie HC year basically pissing on kickers,  and while walsh wasnt solid prior to him getting here,  he certainly derailed under Zimmer.  then forbath comes in and is pretty solid until he has a miss or 2 and it was all down hill after that,  Carlson has a what sounds like a pretty solid preseason,  but once he starts to miss it completely goes off the rails from there.  at some point we have to start to wonder if these guys are getting pissed on or what.  good coached pick up struggling players and motivate them to do better,  I have to wonder if Zim isnt getting so far up in these guys heads.  kicking is part of the game,  but like receiving and catching it more mental than physical IMO and we have seen recievers and Qbs completely fall apart when the pressure gets to high,  is Zim and company  killing our kickers?

I thought Forbath was a decent kicker. He missed a few, but wasn’t terrible. They tried upgrading. Hasn’t worked.

Quote: @Riphawkins said:
I thought Forbath was a decent kicker. He missed a few, but wasn’t terrible. They tried upgrading. Hasn’t worked.
he was a mess on extra points,  and as soon as they brought in competition he wilted.  but he wasnt horrible, although he missed enough for me to never be comfortable when he came in to kick, and his leg strength was a problem on kick offs,  at least Carlson has shown that he can pretty much handle those duties without issue.

Oh won't you come home Dan Bailey?  Won't you come home? Wink

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Riphawkins said:
he was a mess on extra points,  and as soon as they brought in competition he wilted.  but he wasnt horrible, although he missed enough for me to never be comfortable when he came in to kick, and his leg strength was a problem on kick offs,  at least Carlson has shown that he can pretty much handle those duties without issue.
I guess when the best things I can come up with are, He’s decent and wasn’t terrible will tell you how bad a state Blair Walsh left the kicking game.

They have to do something, you can’t let a rookie kicker bring the whole team down.

In these division games it often comes down to a field goal. How many games are they going to let him lose? 1 should be enough...hopefully 

I hope tomorrow is swift and brutal for Carlson.  Sign a real kicker Rick...

Why stop at Zimmer? There was no reason to move on from Forbath in the first place. He ultimately solved our problems after Walsh went off the rails; we didnt need to reach and put ourselves in this position in the first place...

We dont have to hold Spielman in the fire over it, but hindsight is a *****... just a dumb move. If we could land Bailey just do it. Burn the pick, let Carlson go... get better by admitting a mistake and correcting it while a better option is available...

BMagic—i agree with you.  if we can get Bailey, get him and burn the pick, cut Carlson. But I was never comfortable with Forbath.  Maybe it was just learned behavior after Walsh, but I always held my breath when Forbath was kicking—FGs or EPs. We just gotta do better in this area.

I don't think Zimmer is to blame on this...