CBS Sports: The NFL's Secret Star
Quote: @AGRforever said:
@quattrovike said:
@AGRforever said:
@RS Express said:
@purplefaithful said:
Great read...

Dayum, we're lucky to have Hunter. 
I remember that draft people were ripping Spielman (yet another) new one over trading down twice in the third before taking Hunter at pick  88.  Seems to have worked out well B)

And remember, he's not even 24 yet...
let slow down on the back patting. if rick would have known (as well as every other GM) hunter would turn out this way. he would have been drafted long before the third. we got lucky. rick put us in a position to be lucky but its not like he had some diobolical plan where he just knew he could screw all the other teams by trading down and still getting a probowler. 

i think rick is doing a fantastic job but for every hunter theres a patterson. 

I guess I don't get this thought process. If everyone knew that Diggs was the reciever he was they would have drafted him earlier too. Or kendricks would have gone earlier. Thielen wouldn't have been undrafted. Cook would have gone in the first...A GM is paid to evaluate talent and find diamonds in the rough, lets not devalue that because he hit on some of these guys when we crucify him for missing on guys.
not crucifying him. i think hes s great gm. but i also acknowledge weve gotten dang lucky on some of our picks. 
Nothing wrong with having some good luck.

Quote: @AGRforever said:let slow down on the back patting. if rick would have known (as well as every other GM) hunter would turn out this way. he would have been drafted long before the third. we got lucky. rick put us in a position to be lucky but its not like he had some diobolical plan where he just knew he could screw all the other teams by trading down and still getting a probowler. 

I would say, if for every Patterson (who did some phenomenal things as a returner, btw) there is a Hunter, or a Diggs, or a Kendricks. Well, then I don't mind a swing and a miss from time to time. And don't forget, someone saw something in Thielen for him to keep making the roster early on. I don't know if that was more coach or GM.

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@quattrovike said:
@AGRforever said:
@RS Express said:
@purplefaithful said:
Great read...

I remember that draft people were ripping Spielman (yet another) new one over trading down twice in the third before taking Hunter at pick  88.  Seems to have worked out well B)

let slow down on the back patting. if rick would have known (as well as every other GM) hunter would turn out this way. he would have been drafted long before the third. we got lucky. rick put us in a position to be lucky but its not like he had some diobolical plan where he just knew he could screw all the other teams by trading down and still getting a probowler. 

I guess I don't get this thought process. If everyone knew that Diggs was the reciever he was they would have drafted him earlier too. Or kendricks would have gone earlier. Thielen wouldn't have been undrafted. Cook would have gone in the first...A GM is paid to evaluate talent and find diamonds in the rough, lets not devalue that because he hit on some of these guys when we crucify him for missing on guys.
not crucifying him. i think hes s great gm. but i also acknowledge weve gotten dang lucky on some of our picks. 
Reminds me of the saying that fortune favors the prepared.

I don't think luck has much to do with it.  If you consider it luck when you look at all the work the scouts do, the coaches do and then the GM bringing it all together through a painstaking process, then what would you consider actual work?

Now they can't know everything and sometimes character traits will pop up and bite them in the ass, or the character traits as Hunter has deepen and become exactly what you hope for.  That is the unknown, but there isn't much luck, just a whole bunch of people working to narrow the unknowns to almost nothing so they aren't surprised.  Then they calculate all that for value and pick them where they find the right value. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Ot maybe it's better to get lucky than be good? 
I've been told I better be good if I want to get lucky. But now I'm changing the subject.

Quote: @greediron said:
@AGRforever said:
@quattrovike said:
@AGRforever said:
@RS Express said:
@purplefaithful said:
Great read...

I don't think luck has much to do with it.  If you consider it luck when you look at all the work the scouts do, the coaches do and then the GM bringing it all together through a painstaking process, then what would you consider actual work?

Now they can't know everything and sometimes character traits will pop up and bite them in the ass, or the character traits as Hunter has deepen and become exactly what you hope for.  That is the unknown, but there isn't much luck, just a whole bunch of people working to narrow the unknowns to almost nothing so they aren't surprised.  Then they calculate all that for value and pick them where they find the right value. 

I believe you don't take anybody late or undrafted on any great knowledge. It is more on assumed potential then anything. It's up to the coaches to maximize that potential. So we can pat Rich on the back. He did his part. Coaches need to be recognized as well. Who really made these guys diamonds?

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
@greediron said:

I believe you don't take anybody late or undrafted on any great knowledge. It is more on assumed potential then anything. It's up to the coaches to maximize that potential. So we can pat Rich on the back. He did his part. Coaches need to be recognized as well. Who really made these guys diamonds?
I would say in the 3rd or 4th, they have significant knowledge.  It is just there are risks.  Hunter was raw.  Would he take to coaching, would he develop like he had the potential to.

Quote: @greediron said:
@suncoastvike said:
@greediron said:

I would say in the 3rd or 4th, they have significant knowledge.  It is just there are risks.  Hunter was raw.  Would he take to coaching, would he develop like he had the potential to.
Yea I was really kinda just agreeing with your previous post and just highlighting that coaching can't be overlooked in these guys becoming what they are. You look for guys with raw talent and hope they're coachable. You pick guys high sometimes only to find out they're not. Not always because of GM or coaches. Just missed a flaw or overlooked it thinking it could be coached out of them. 
Really just saying we are lucky to have people now good at both. We've had years of bad at both to compare results.

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
@greediron said:
@suncoastvike said:
@greediron said:

Yea I was really kinda just agreeing with your previous post and just highlighting that coaching can't be overlooked in these guys becoming what they are. You look for guys with raw talent and hope they're coachable. You pick guys high sometimes only to find out they're not. Not always because of GM or coaches. Just missed a flaw or overlooked it thinking it could be coached out of them. 
Really just saying we are lucky to have people now good at both. We've had years of bad at both to compare results.
Certainly.  Zimmer has made Speilman much better, and vice versa.  With Frazier and some of the others, you just hoped to find an elite talent that had the ability to be a star on his own, or even overcome poor coaching.  Now the coaches have a plan, know what they want, articulate it for the GM and then develop it.

Before anyone vilifies Spielmann sp---I;d like them to show me the Gm that hits on every pick and consistently trots out that All ALLPRO lineup annually
Criminy celebrate your hits

Quote: @Akvike said:
Before anyone vilifies Spielmann sp---I;d like them to show me the Gm that hits on every pick and consistently trots out that All ALLPRO lineup annually
Criminy celebrate your hits

I do think there's something to be said for sticking with a guy too. When we were signing Donovan McNabb or John Carlson I think fans were understandably very frustrated. But now, as greed pointed out, in conjunction with Zimmer, we are really home-growing lots of talent and bringing in top FAs. It *feels* like this organization is finding it's stride and poised for another good year.
Oh... and yeah, Hunter is awesome!