Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zim Mentioned Bringing In A KR
Raiders release Taiwan Jones
Posted by Josh Alper on July 27, 2017, 2:40 PM EDT
Getty ImagesThe Raiders won’t be bringing Taiwan Jones with them to training camp this year.
Adam Schefter of ESPN reports that the Raiders are releasing the six-year veteran ahead of their first camp practice this Saturday.
Jones was drafted by the Raiders as a running back in 2011, but they moved him to cornerback a couple of years later before reversing the switch when Jack Del Rio became the head coach ahead of the 2015 season. Regardless of his listed position, Jones saw the great majority of his playing time on special teams.
Jones both covered and returned kicks over his time with the Raiders and that would figure to be his path toward playing time if he finds another home for the 2017 season.

Hmm, wonder why the Raiders let him go? ... the NFL, gone in a Flash!  Wink

We will regret losing Patterson.

Zimmer was asked to give an update on Adams' progress at camp so far.
"I don't know that he's going to be the kick returner," Zimmer said. "He did a good job when he was at South Florida, but we are going to continue to look at guys. We'll continue to look at guys that come available, too. That was one part of the game last year where we were able to (score) some points and get some yards, so that's going to be important for us.

Quote: @Bolstad79 said:
not likely.

assuming that we can replace him with an "avg" kick returner,  considering he only had an average of 2 returns per game,  we will be giving up a whopping 12 yards per game of field position and .44 points per game.

Adams is a rookie and he's probably not securing the ball consistently. Tough to trust a rookie in that spot unless they are either: a) exceptional like Patterson or b) have unusual confidence coming in. Adams is also a slight build guy, might get his world rocked back there. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Bolstad79 said:
not likely.

assuming that we can replace him with an "avg" kick returner,  considering he only had an average of 2 returns per game,  we will be giving up a whopping 12 yards per game of field position and .44 points per game.
Considering how razor thin the difference can be between winning and losing, I'd prefer having a difference maker available in the field position battle...

I don't think the Vikings will lock themselves into Adams until he shows something as a receiver. Right now it appears Coley is above him on the WR depth chart and you just can't keep both unless you're going to open up another spot elsewhere which would likely need to be Sherels. 

Quote: @"BarrNone55" said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Bolstad79 said:
not likely.

Considering how razor thin the difference can be between winning and losing, I'd prefer having a difference maker available in the field position battle...
In a perfect cap free world yes.

I am really only concerned about two things when it comes to kick returners. 
A.  Hold onto the ball.
2.  Run forward, not sideways.
A difference-maker is nice to have, but I just don't need any extra "excitement" anymore.