Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What can we learn from Week 17 about the right side of the Vikings’ O-line?
Quote: @kahsmick said:
@purplefaithful said:
@suncoastvike said:
 Now sadly the Oline takes a even bigger hit with the passing of Tony.  I feel very good about the team this year. Less good about this unit. We all know what happens when this unit breaks down. This unit didn't just get bad week 17. It was bandaided together all season. The bandaides were beginning to get torn off by the end. Can anybody convince me this years unit is different? Please.
Bingo...
I am encouraged by the outstanding speed and quick feet of Collins, Morgan, and O'Neill.  On sweeps, and end runs they are going to be devastating when Cook has the ball.  If pass pro sucks, DeFilipo will go straight to RPO just like The Eagles did for Foles and which Cousins can run just fine.  If teams adjust to defend RPO, the drop back game gets more viable.  There is more than one way to cover deficiencies.  Oline Play across The league was turrible last year.  And Rashod Hill's weakness is more in run blocking anyway.  I do not see this unit overly struggling with pass pro, and if they CAN hold up?  Cousins is gonna have A Career Year.

Feel better?
Not sure if this is just keep-yer-chin-up encouragement, but there are solid points in here. When you look at strengths, weaknesses, styles and tendencies of Cousins, Flip, Cook, our extra tackle sets, and the tackles you mention who could play a big part in them, it's hard not see some sort of mad plan in the works. 

Berger was a better than League Average swing guard. He was not even a League Average Starter.

But he retired so the team is screwed right?

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
If the Vikings falter this year it will be due the OL. It's the team's biggest weakness. But Super Bowls have been won with league average OL play. The writer neglects to mention that the Vikings won that Chicago game 23-10 behind 111 yards and 2 TDs by Murray. For all their weakness on the OL, at the end of the day, they were the better team. That's what good teams do. No teams are perfect, but good ones attenuate weakness by being the better team on the field everywhere else.  I suspect that will be the case a lot this year. 

I have hope that Remmers will prove to be at least as good as Berger was in the run game. And Hill will be better than Remmers was in pass pro. And the fact that their strengths and weaknesses are opposite sort of mitigates that problem to a degree. No, they don't have the Cowboys line, but the Cowboys didn't even make the playoffs. 
If the Viking falter this year it will be more likely due to offensive scheme.  That is the big change for us.  Hill has taken steps to be a pro, he has the talent and now his body and energy should match that talent.  Remmers will be fine, Easton was pretty good last year.  Big question mark is Elflein at center.  Will he be ready?  He was the MVP of our offense last year IMO.  When he was out, we struggled.  Hopefully he will be strong enough after the time off and not have nagging compensation injuries.

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
@kahsmick said:
@purplefaithful said:
@suncoastvike said:
 Now sadly the Oline takes a even bigger hit with the passing of Tony.  I feel very good about the team this year. Less good about this unit. We all know what happens when this unit breaks down. This unit didn't just get bad week 17. It was bandaided together all season. The bandaides were beginning to get torn off by the end. Can anybody convince me this years unit is different? Please.
Bingo...
I am encouraged by the outstanding speed and quick feet of Collins, Morgan, and O'Neill.  On sweeps, and end runs they are going to be devastating when Cook has the ball.  If pass pro sucks, DeFilipo will go straight to RPO just like The Eagles did for Foles and which Cousins can run just fine.  If teams adjust to defend RPO, the drop back game gets more viable.  There is more than one way to cover deficiencies.  Oline Play across The league was turrible last year.  And Rashod Hill's weakness is more in run blocking anyway.  I do not see this unit overly struggling with pass pro, and if they CAN hold up?  Cousins is gonna have A Career Year.

Feel better?
Yeah, that's good stuff there. I'm a easy sell though. Still I'll take it. Let's see where it takes us.
Let O'Neill go battle some LBs to toughen him up.  Put him back at in-lineTE and go maul people.  I've been sayin' he gets plenty of snaps this year on account of his atheticism.
NFL Games are loaded with stretch plays.  He's not small for godsakes.  He's just not NFL LT Ready on an island in pass pro ready.
Elflien is the concern now.  PPF rated him low, but it doesn't tell the story.  Yeah.  He whiffed on guys.  It happens.  I expect a big improvement in his play if he stays healthy. Definite bright spot.  I also hear Colby Gossett is A Natural.  

Quote: @kahsmick said:
@suncoastvike said:
@kahsmick said:
@purplefaithful said:
@suncoastvike said:
Bingo...

Feel better?
Yeah, that's good stuff there. I'm a easy sell though. Still I'll take it. Let's see where it takes us.
Let O'Neill go battle some LBs to toughen him up.  Put him back at in-lineTE and go maul people.  I've been sayin' he gets plenty of snaps this year on account of his atheticism.
NFL Games are loaded with stretch plays.  He's not small for godsakes.  He's just not NFL LT Ready on an island in pass pro ready.
Elflien is the concern now.  PPF rated him low, but it doesn't tell the story.  Yeah.  He whiffed on guys.  It happens.  I expect a big improvement in his play if he stays healthy. Definite bright spot.  I also hear Colby Gossett is A Natural.  

Wait...what? What have you heard? I LOVED this guy at the Senior Bowl, but have you heard anything from OTAs or early camp? Because I've heard nothing. 

I think he was mentioned in coach interviews as have the natural size and strength you look for.  Not commenting on his OTA Performance.
Scouting reports were uniformly positive also.
I think what  I heard was 'he has more natural size for the position than other guards on the team', I cant remember the coach. Sorry.