Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings rookie Brian O’Neill packing on pounds by eating 6,000 calories a day
Nearly every meal for Brian O’Neill lately has been of the all-you-can-eat variety. 
O’Neill was listed at 297 pounds when he was taken by the Vikings in the second round of the NFL draft last April out of Pittsburgh. That’s actually light for an NFL tackle, especially one standing 6-foot-7. 
O’Neill has been trying to do something about that. After weighing between 295 and 298 pounds during minicamp in June, he said he gained between six and 10 pounds, depending on when he steps on the scale, in a six-week stretch before Wednesday’s start of training camp.

https://www.twincities.com/2018/07/26/vi...ies-a-day/

O’Neill said the goal is to be at at least 305 pounds when the regular season starts Sept. 9 against San Francisco. He said Vikings officials have told him the hope is he eventually will weigh 315. 
“That’s over time,’’ O’Neill said. “I’d say a year from now I could be 315, absolutely. We didn’t want me to come back (for training camp) at 315 because it wouldn’t be a good 315. But I’m going to keep progressing. I think I can handle 315 eventually down the road. I’ve got room to grow.’’ 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
O’Neill said the goal is to be at at least 305 pounds when the regular season starts Sept. 9 against San Francisco. He said Vikings officials have told him the hope is he eventually will weigh 315. 
“That’s over time,’’ O’Neill said. “I’d say a year from now I could be 315, absolutely. We didn’t want me to come back (for training camp) at 315 because it wouldn’t be a good 315. But I’m going to keep progressing. I think I can handle 315 eventually down the road. I’ve got room to grow.’’ 
That's exactly the weight I said he should be eventually playing at, 315 lbs. And he's 100% correct, put that weight on gradually so its muscle density, not fat. This kid knows how to put muscle on. He's 6'7". He ran a 4.82 during the Combine, the fastest by an OL. 

If he can learn, improve incrementally and get some reps and start 2019 at 315 lbs., the kid might be a player for this team that desperately needs an infusion of talent at OT. I'd love to see Reiff slide over to RT next season....that would be fantastic.

I hope it's not going to be a struggle for him like it was (is?) for Kalil. 

Agree with everything you said Sticky, except Reiff has excelled @ LT over RT. I think that's where he'll probably stay until he decides to hang-up the cleats. I'd have no issue with that if he continues to play well there. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:

Agree with everything you said Sticky, except Reiff has excelled @ LT over RT. I think that's where he'll probably stay until he decides to hang-up the cleats. I'd have no issue with that if he continues to play well there. 

Yeah, why would we want to make the same mistake that Detroit did by moving him to RT?  He didn't play as well there for whatever reason.  Leave him on the left side where he's a consistent above average player.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@purplefaithful said:

Yeah, why would we want to make the same mistake that Detroit did by moving him to RT?  He didn't play as well there for whatever reason.  Leave him on the left side where he's a consistent above average player.
Maybe its JMO, but O'Neill is a LT, not a RT. His athleticism is potentially perfect for that spot. I would think moving Reiff would make sense if O'Neill progresses. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:

Maybe its JMO, but O'Neill is a LT, not a RT. His athleticism is potentially perfect for that spot. I would think moving Reiff would make sense if O'Neill progresses. 
True...  his athletic profile probably makes him a candidate for LT, but Lane Johnson was in a similar situation as a rookie.  Tall, light, athletic former TE that converted to OT in college.  The Eagles played him at RT early in his career and he's become the top player at that position over the past couple seasons.  In the Vikings scheme, his athletic ability won't be wasted on the right side if they decide to keep there.

Reiff was better on the left. And I would not be surprised if part of the reason he signed here is because the Vikings wanted him at left tackle.

I think maybe we put too much emphasis on characteristics when placing these guys. The fact is, regardless of feet and athleticism, Reiff is just BETTER than O'Neill. O'Neill won't play on the left side until he's better than Reiff. That might be a while if it happens at all. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Reiff was better on the left. And I would not be surprised if part of the reason he signed here is because the Vikings wanted him at left tackle.

I think maybe we put too much emphasis on characteristics when placing these guys. The fact is, regardless of feet and athleticism, Reiff is just BETTER than O'Neill. O'Neill won't play on the left side until he's better than Reiff. That might be a while if it happens at all. 
How long is Reiff signed for?  Thought he had sort of a short term contract IIRC.  But I could be wrong.

Rieff is our LT and for much more reasons than simple talent.  He is also the leader of the group.  When we had Kalil and Boone and Kalil and anyone else on that side, we were soft and it showed.  Boone talked, but he didn't play.  Kalil got paid, but didn't love the game, didn't want to work.  So our lines were a mess.

Rieff and Remmers were signed as much for their attitude as for their blocking ability.  They changed the culture in that room.

I think the days of having a prototypical LT and RT are done.  You need two LTs now because the elite pass rushers come from both sides.  Moving Reiff to RT and O'Neill to LT just because of body composition is monkeying with something that doesn't need to be messed with.  If you are forced to start a slower mauling OT I agree that it makes sense to put the better pass protector at LT.