Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
OT....Rental Cars
Have a family cabin on a lake that I've been bringing my family to for many years. We fly into MSP and always rent cars in the terminal there. The taxes are off the chart so a 2 week rental on a standard car is roughly $850. Crazy. I've looked at the non-terminal locations and it's not really that big of a savings for the extra hassle/cost of a cab to go pick it up.Any ideas for cheaper rentals in the Twin Cities area?
Thx.

What dates roughly?  Costco has always been the best deal for me over the last handful of years.  I book my dates, then keep checking every now and then up until my trip.  I usually cancel and rebook a few times as prices fluctuate so much.  I just booked a Full Size 8 days end of September and it was $377 w/ taxes.  I usually get much better prices than that. 

With that said, there are some off-airport rentals in the Bloomington area.  Just use the main car rental sites to check. 

I've used Costco the last 5 years or so. They do have the best prices. I will try checking back in the closer it gets. Thanks for the tip.

I just searched on Costco again, this time looking up Bloomington area off-airport locations.  Wow, big difference!  There's a Budget/Avis office right off 494/I35 that is quoting me a Full Size for the week for $168.  Smile 

1217 Clover Drive South, Bloomington,
MN,
US

And... you can mess around with combinations.  I just searched picking up the car at that off location, then returning it at the airport and it only added $5.   That is definitely worth the convenience of returning it at the airport! 

Thanks for making me look up off-airport locations, got me half off... meaning a free Vikings ticket!  lol 

I didn't know Costco did rental cars...interesting.

Just checked offsite through Costco and it was about $200 less than at airport. Getting close to being worth the extra hassle.

Try Turo an app on your phone

Quote: @PSBLAKE said:
i did...just booked today. Saved $300 over terminal price. Interested to see how it works.
They did charge my card for full amount which isnt normally done with rental cars. Dont feel real good about that, but oh well.
Thanks for the tip.

Quote: @onebadshredda said:
@PSBLAKE said:
i did...just booked today. Saved $300 over terminal price. Interested to see how it works.
They did charge my card for full amount which isnt normally done with rental cars. Dont feel real good about that, but oh well.
Thanks for the tip.
Let me know how it goes!