Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Barr- WHY?
Ok,  so for the last couple weeks of camp we have heard about Barr working with the DEs on pass rushing,  some have speculated that it was more an effort to get him better at getting off blocks when he blitzes from his LB spot,  but others are convinced that he will be putting his hand in the dirt and coming off an end... Griff seems to agree that AB will be playing some end for us this year.... my question is why?   going into a contract year,  why are they handing his agent a reason to try and pull a bigger contract?   lets say he does well in this new roll,  are the Vikings then going to pay him like a top pass rusher and move Griff?   are they going to showcase his talents early and then move him before the trade deadline? (in a push for a superbowl... highly unlikely)  I dont understand the thought process here unless Zim has crazy new scheme that he wants to deploy and none of the other DEs that we have on the roster will fit the roll?

I still question the team setting up his agent to demand an even higher pay day considering it already looks like we wont be able to pay them all.
Why isn't Chuck Foreman in the Hall of Fame?

Because coaches coach and agents and GM's deal. Coaches don't care about money or where you were drafted. It's the way it should be.

I wondered about this too. Maybe they want it to work out that way (make his price out of their range). It would put all the "blame" so-to-speak at Barr's door if he makes a huge contract demand that they cannot match. Then they can let him walk without fans thinking they didn't try to retain him....
*this is obviously very much a tinfoil hat theory on my part*

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
Because coaches coach and agents and GM's deal. Coaches don't care about money or where you were drafted. It's the way it should be.
do you really believe that?  I think we have seen plenty of proof that coaches play politics just as much as the GMs do at times.

Barr can rush the quarterback from the DE position or drop back in coverage.  He's been doing that all along.  the only difference is that on some plays he will start with his hand in the dirt.  Really no big significance as far as I can see.

I do think they might be appeasing him some.  But it is way too early to think that they will play him very much as a DE.  Zimmer loves his wrinkles and I can see some but rare plays where Barr is playing from DE.  Not enough to warrant DE money - IMO.  Agree that it would be highlighting Barr's skill set for a 3-4 team.

Barr's strength has been coverage, not tackling or pass rushing.  If he and his camp are talking top DE money then I have to let him walk or maybe swing a trade before this season to get some picks - like 2nd next year and 4th the following.  But we have no replacement for Barr and are thinner at LB'er then any other position on the team - IMO.

That said, a lot of veteran LB'ers get cut late and are even available now.  None will be as good as Barr in Zimmers scheme but for that type of money I just can't see us paying him DE type money from the LB position.  He is the one of the big 3 that we might lose this year or next. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@suncoastvike said:
do you really believe that?  I think we have seen plenty of proof that coaches play politics just as much as the GMs do at times.
Ok you got me...maybe I want to believe it. I believe coaches do have favorites. Those favoritisms are why you need a good GM. Winning is the only thing for coaches otherwise we'd need a much big salary cap. Sometimes those favoritisms cost them their job.

Quote: @ArizonaViking said:
Barr can rush the quarterback from the DE position or drop back in coverage.  He's been doing that all along.  the only difference is that on some plays he will start with his hand in the dirt.  Really no big significance as far as I can see.
if he gets to showcase his ability to play a tradition 43 DE or a 34 OLB,  that will mean more money for him... thats the difference IMO.   He has rarely ever line up in a DE position that I can recall,  maybe a few times as a rookie,  but not since then that I remember.

Quote: @minny65 said:
I do think they might be appeasing him some.  But it is way too early to think that they will play him very much as a DE.  Zimmer loves his wrinkles and I can see some but rare plays where Barr is playing from DE.  Not enough to warrant DE money - IMO.  Agree that it would be highlighting Barr's skill set for a 3-4 team.

Barr's strength has been coverage, not tackling or pass rushing.  If he and his camp are talking top DE money then I have to let him walk or maybe swing a trade before this season to get some picks - like 2nd next year and 4th the following.  But we have no replacement for Barr and are thinner at LB'er then any other position on the team - IMO.

That said, a lot of veteran LB'ers get cut late and are even available now.  None will be as good as Barr in Zimmers scheme but for that type of money I just can't see us paying him DE type money from the LB position.  He is the one of the big 3 that we might lose this year or next. 
if they were interested in moving AB... I think they would have made a bigger push to sign M Kendricks or some other decent vet LB prior to mini camp.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@minny65 said:

if they were interested in moving AB... I think they would have made a bigger push to sign M Kendricks or some other decent vet LB prior to mini camp.
Thats the thing, I don't think we are interested in moving Barr at all - move as in trade or as in DE.  Some occasional pass rush and maybe a rare rush from DE. But if the numbers are so out of range then I can see us looking into a trade and then making sure Diggs and Hunter are signed.  I think we are throwing out numbers to all 3 and if one of them isn't even close we might try and get something for them and I am thinking Barr at this point. 

We did have some interest in Kendricks so that was interesting.  I do think even with Barr we will bring in a vet later.  Our depth at LB'er is probably our thinnest on the team.