Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wow, not a single post on the "historic" LGBTQ Kluwe fest?
https://www.vikings.com/news/vikings-hos...nce-center

I had thought that this would be a major topic on this board, or even worthy of a news story on the main page, given its "historic" designation for the organization. Oh well, silly me.

A question for the board : What is the difference between the G (gay) and the Q (queer)? 

I had always assumed that since the term Lesbian (L) was strictly used for female homosexuals, the term gay (when not used in its original context, meaning happy) was the proper, PC term for male homosexuals. But now they (meaning the LGBTQ faction) are throwing me a knuckleball (no pun intended) and confuse things with the Queer designation. 

It's obviously different from B (bisexual) and T (transgender) since those are given their own designations, but as a heterosexual male, I have to confess my confusion on the significant differences between "gay" and "queer".

Is it the attire (hat, bowtie, chaps, garters?). Is it makeup (Rocky Horror Picture Show)? Is it positional? Seasonal? Tattoos? Fondness of show tunes? Putting ketchup on a hotdog? Wearing socks with sandals? Ordering Filet Mignon well done? Being the pitcher or catcher?

Maybe Chris Kluwe could enlighten us all. He obviously feels very comfortable telling EVERYBODY how they should think...he should be equally willing to educate the mindless masses, to which I must admit I belong. But if someone here can differentiate these two terms for me I'd appreciate it.

Oh, and also explain why female homosexuals have their own designation, but male homosexuals do not....seems sexist to me and if I were a gay/queer/homosexual male, I'd want a term to call my own, damn it! #label me but don't you dare label me. 

BTW, I couldn't care less what people do in their private lives, as long as it doesn't affect me or my family. Just afford me the same courtesy and don't lecture me on how I should feel or think. 

SKOL! 

Growing support for the belief that there is no such thing as Lesbians.  Just women fooling around.
Most of the ones I know personally have kids.  Nothing in the bible forbidding it, either.
However, Men are specifically mentioned and chastised -  Not women.

Change my mind.

The real trouble that seems to have popped up recently is the notion we have Infinite Genders and that Society must now memorize all pronouns related to this declaration or be fired, censured, banned, etc.

My gay friends are appalled and embarrassed at the direction The Movement has taken and do not want to be championed like this at all.

Its as if there is an agenda behind it that isn't really what it claims to be on the surface.

Kluwe is a funny guy, though.  I don't hate him or anything.  But, I don't see where gays are oppressed culturally.  More like they are celebrated and can get away with saying anything.

I think it would be a lot braver to champion Traditional Values, for instance.

Just my two cents.  Please don't ban Xe for Hate Speech.

Quote: @kahsmick said:
Growing support for the belief that there is no such thing as Lesbians.  Just women fooling around.
Most of the ones I know personally have kids.  Nothing in the bible forbidding it, either.

Change my mind.

The real trouble that seems to have popped up recently is the notion we have Infinite Genders and that Society must now memorize all pronouns related to this notion or be fired, censured, banned, etc.

My gay friends are appalled and embarrassed at the direction The Movement has taken and do not want to be championed like this at all.

Its as if their is an agenda behind it that isn't really what it claims to be on the surface.

Kluwe is a funny guy, though.  I don't hate him or anything.  But, I don't see where gays are oppressed culturally.  More like they are celebrated and can get away with saying anything.

I think it would be a lot braver to champion Traditional Values, for instance.

Just my two cents.  Please don't ban Xe for Hate Speech.
Respect your position and thanks for a non-confrontational reply. And I agree that the current "social media" climate seems to demonize the majority.

I have gay friends (and family) too. They don't expect me to embrace, promote or celebrate their lifestyle any more than I expect them to embrace, celebrate or promote 
mine. Live and let live is a very good, basic philosophy. But when its skewed by the demand that you embrace, celebrate and promote a life style which you do not embrace, I have a big problem.

But my question of the specific difference between "gay" and "queer", as specified by the LGBTQ Alliance, remains a mystery to me. 

ANYONE?

I'm all for everyone to feel good about themselves and not be subject to bullying and ridicule, but you do get the sense from some advocates of preachiness and condescension. We all should be more tolerant in our everyday life and that includes those people that get offended by everything and anything on both sides of issues. The sexual preferences thing seems to have gone from several categories to sub categories within each acronym. Things like pan-sexual, etc. not sure what that means really. But I really don't give it much thought because it doesn't impact me and I wish for everyone to be as happy as possible regardless of what I understand or don't understand. There are nice people and there are assholes in every sexual orientation, race, gender, etc: that's what I care about in personal interactions. 

I support anyone's right to peaceful assembly. Even if it doesn't please my eyes. I choose to not go to or watch. I chose to go to the pool yesterday instead of the Pride events going on in my area. Having choices makes America great.

so why did i get chastised for saying i didnt think this was that big of a deal a month ago?  lol

Thanks for the replies. As I said, I too have a live and let live philosophy, but I have a big problem when accsptence is not enough....my heart and soul needs to be on board as well and THAT is inacceptable to me. JMO.

But seriously, any clue on the gay vs. queer question? I'm aware of the show "Queer eye for the straight guy", but that's about gay men offering life style tips to heterosexual men. Sooo maybe they're synonyms? But if so, why the separate designations in this ever-growing acronym? 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
so why did i get chastised for saying i didnt think this was that big of a deal a month ago?  lol
I consider being chastised a compliment...lol. Means people are paying attention to what I said. 

Quote: @kahsmick said:

Change my mind.
"Thou shalt not commit adultery"... that applies to both genders.   B)

I believe the media makes it more about "you have to be on board" or get involved. Maybe this movement and the parades and events became a reflection of that. It was a celebration of we are who we are deal with it. To being, get involved in it or you aren't dealing with it.  I'm ok with just letting them have their weekend with or without me.