Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
With Mike Hughes around, Marcus Sherels could have to fight to make Vikings' roster
The issue with Sherels is he is unreliable at corner which is his listed position.  If he has to play corner then the Vikings are in more trouble than a little bit.
So him making the roster means they are carrying 4 special team ONLY players instead of 3.
This could be an issue if you want to keep 10 offensive linemen instead of 9, or 9 defensive linemen instead of 8, etc.
There will be another player at a position that they have to let go and it could come back to hurt them.  Maybe.
If a guy is a returner and that is all he does then he better be like Devin Hester.  To me.
Sherels does play special teams well but they can find others to do that.
Either the way, with his age, the end is near.

I'm hoping he makes the team. He is so sure-handed at fielding punts, I never catch myself holding my breath hoping he hangs onto it. I guess its like Walsh. (Chris, not Blair) I have always like the special teamers that give absolutely everything they have each time they are on the field.

Quote: @Bullazin said:
We want to ( and do) write him off every year and every year he not only sticks he performs.   unless he’s noticeably lost a step he makes the team to play special teams as he’s good bith ways.  
earlier in his career this was the case,  but the last couple years its been much harder to do that.  we havent had that guy that looks like he could play the part and provide more at a regular position.  time will tell if Hughes is the man to do it,  but if Hughes were to win starting nickel then I have to doubt they would put him out on return teams as a regular.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Bullazin said:
We want to ( and do) write him off every year and every year he not only sticks he performs.   unless he’s noticeably lost a step he makes the team to play special teams as he’s good bith ways.  
earlier in his career this was the case,  but the last couple years its been much harder to do that.  we havent had that guy that looks like he could play the part and provide more at a regular position.  time will tell if Hughes is the man to do it,  but if Hughes were to win starting nickel then I have to doubt they would put him out on return teams as a regular.
Good point Jimmy.  That makes it a wee bit more complex for sure.