Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PC People Need to Go Away.... especially some of us fatties.
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Vanguard83 said:
You all in the midwest are spoiled.  Our meat tastes like dirt. (you HAVE to marinade it)

My folks were from Iowa and always complained about the CA. meat....Never understood what they were bitching aboutUNTIL a trip back to see my grandfolks.
WOW.  My folks explained that it was the corn-fed cattle (not the WEEDS that CA. livestock eat) the steak had a sweet, rich taste.
...and THAT....my friends is when my balls dropped and I became a man.
whats funny is I had one of the best steaks I have ever had in southern CA, I bought it at a Ralphs and grilled it myself and it was really damn good.  I asked about it and was told that the cattle they use are fed the waste greens from the  vineyards and vegetable fields in Northern CA.... it had really good flavor,  but yes there are some scrub brush steers out there that should just be made into hamburger for chilli.
I am betting the cow you ate got into the vineyards and was wine marinated.... 

Quote: @Sir Viking Bob VWO said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Sir Viking Bob VWO said:
@Vanguard83 said:
@Vanguard83 said:
Too bad there isn't a scale that measures narcissism.

https://www.psychologytoday.com/us/blog/...narcissist

In the meantime, slide me a medium well T-bone with double baked potato, and cheesecake for dessert.  Personally I'd rather die fat and happy.
medium well???   shame on you!!!!  LOL 
Ohhhh...an aristocrat huh??

well you can take your bloody filet mignon and quail egg and....
LOL, I will pass on the quail egg, for now as they arent horrible.... but give me a nice medium rare steak and a nice hearty beer to go with it!!  Heaven!!!!!!
find some pecan wood... 

salt your steak, both sides, about 6 hours ahead and put it on a rack in the fridge so air can get around it,  that dry brine and air movement will create a layer on the surface for smoke to adhere to. get a small bed of coals going on one side of the grill,  throw a chunk of pecan in there and let it ignite and burn for a minute or two and close the lid to smother it... leave the top vent open and control the bottom vent to keep the temps in that 200-225 range,   throw the steaks on indirect (away from the heat)  let them slowly come up to about 100-110 degrees,  soaking up that pecan goodness,  and then remove,  throw the vents open,  leave the lid off and let those coals really get rolling now,  when the grates are branding iron hot,  slap those ribeyes back over the coals for a couple minutes per side,  get a nice crispy finish on the outside... and you will have the most perfectly cooked med rare steak I have come up with.  (and I have tried about every way I can imagine.)  sometimes I add course ground pepper,  but thats about it,  good beef has all the flavor it needs with some salt.
Thanks Jimmy, I will try that soon enough, I got a smoker for Fathers Day. I fully trust your opinion, the meat that you and Mike made for the VF BBQ was freaking AMAZING!!!! 
you dont even have to use a smoker,  I do these on the grill all the time.   (of course I use charcoal)  i just get a big pile of unlit coals on one side,  dump a small pile of lit coals on top with the piece of pecan sandwiched in between,  have the bottom vents only cracked open a little bit to make those lit coals burn down real slow,  have the meat on the others side and you will be golden.   if you dont use a charcoal grill you can do the same on a gasser with multiple burners and a smoke generator or foil pack.  ( i wont explain it all right now but if you are interested just ask and I will point you in some good directions.)

Quote: @Sir Viking Bob VWO said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Vanguard83 said:
You all in the midwest are spoiled.  Our meat tastes like dirt. (you HAVE to marinade it)

My folks were from Iowa and always complained about the CA. meat....Never understood what they were bitching aboutUNTIL a trip back to see my grandfolks.
WOW.  My folks explained that it was the corn-fed cattle (not the WEEDS that CA. livestock eat) the steak had a sweet, rich taste.
whats funny is I had one of the best steaks I have ever had in southern CA, I bought it at a Ralphs and grilled it myself and it was really damn good.  I asked about it and was told that the cattle they use are fed the waste greens from the  vineyards and vegetable fields in Northern CA.... it had really good flavor,  but yes there are some scrub brush steers out there that should just be made into hamburger for chilli.
I know the cook was well marinated that trip.   it was a trip we arranged as a welcome home for my little brother when he got back from a year in Iraq.   Our BIL has 2 cousins that run some very very nice courses south of palm springs so they comped us 4 days of golf and I paid them back by cooking up a storm in the evenings...of course we then kept them up all night playing poker and boozing so they likley needed a vacation themselves by the time we headed home.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Vanguard83 said:

I know the cook was well marinated that trip.   it was a trip we arranged as a welcome home for my little brother when he got back from a year in Iraq.   Our BIL has 2 cousins that run some very very nice courses south of palm springs so they comped us 4 days of golf and I paid them back by cooking up a storm in the evenings...of course we then kept them up all night playing poker and boozing so they likley needed a vacation themselves by the time we headed home.
I was going to ask if you were well marinated.  Sounds like a great time.  Golf, food, drinks and poker.

Quote: @greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Vanguard83 said:

I was going to ask if you were well marinated.  Sounds like a great time.  Golf, food, drinks and poker.
Southern California had no idea what to make of us 4 very white, very boisterous.... and often very drunk guys.

I encountered my first roundabout on that trip,  that in itself was hilarious..... in hindsight,  scared the shit out of us in the moment.   think mad max, and national lampoons vacation.    the trip was definitely one of those once in a lifetimes things as I am sure I would be in jail if we tried some of that shit again.

Yeah as you get older I find keeping the weight down is not easy. I'm lucky to be active with a lot of walking and stairs at work. Problem is I like my food and beer. Love craft beers and they do bring a few more calories than light anything that has no flavor for me anymore. Just a couple weeks ago I invited my little brother out for steak at the best place in town as payback for some car work he had done for me. He's a couple years younger and slimmer than I by about 30-35 pounds. He goes about 200...me 235. Anyways we both ordered the 40 oz porterhouse medium rare with steak fries. We both cleaned it up. Could of ate more. Why I can eat like I'm 29 when I'm 59. It's hard to change. Maybe someday....in retirement. Ha!

Quote: @Purplemachine said:
Yeah as you get older I find keeping the weight down is not easy. I'm lucky to be active with a lot of walking and stairs at work. Problem is I like my food and beer. Love craft beers and they do bring a few more calories than light anything that has no flavor for me anymore. Just a couple weeks ago I invited my little brother out for steak at the best place in town as payback for some car work he had done for me. He's a couple years younger and slimmer than I by about 30-35 pounds. He goes about 200...me 235. Anyways we both ordered the 40 oz porterhouse medium rare with steak fries. We both cleaned it up. Could of ate more. Why I can eat like I'm 29 when I'm 59. It's hard to change. Maybe someday....in retirement. Ha!
what sucks is I dont eat or drink near as much as when I was in my 20s and I am still gaining weight....