Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Sheriff will be inducted into Ring of Honor
Bills Game (9/23)

Well deserved, give Big K a big hello from us fans too.

The day after former Vikings coach Dennis Green died from a heart attack in July 2016, the team formally opened U.S. Bank Stadium — a building chief operating officer Kevin Warren said might not be there if not for Green’s hand in guiding the Vikings’ current ownership group.
Warren recalled on July 28, 2016 how Green had called him back in 2004 to inform him Vikings owner Red McCombs was thinking about selling the team and suggest Warren put together a group to buy it. Less than a year later, the Wilf family purchased the Vikings from McCombs for $600 million.
“But for that phone call from [Green] that day,” Warren said, “I don’t know if the Wilf family would own this team.”
This fall, Green will be honored in the building that figures to be the Wilfs’ crowning achievement as Vikings owners.
The team announced Monday that Green — who won the second-most games in Vikings history — will be inducted into the team’s Ring of Honor on Sept. 23 against the Buffalo Bills.
“Dennis Green’s impact on the Minnesota Vikings, and really the entire NFL, is still felt to this day,” Vikings co-owner Mark Wilf said in a statement. “In addition to being widely regarded as one of the NFL’s top coaches, Denny was also known as a great mentor and leader by all who had the fortune of being in his presence. We’re extremely honored to forever memorialize Denny and his family in the Vikings Ring of Honor and we’re looking forward to the induction in September.
”http://www.startribune.com/dennis-green-is-vikings-2018-ring-of-honor-inductee/485824171/

I always loved Denny. Excellent coach.

That's so freaking cool. Another thing to appreciate Denny for. I look forward to celebrating that moment. 

Quote:"StickyBun" said:
I always loved Denny. Excellent coach.

Yeah, but he kept the Vikes from hiring Pete Carroll... Wink

Great regular season coach!!

I always liked Denny, well most of the time anyway. There were, I’m sure a few times I wasn’t a fan of his. 
Well deserved, I’m glad the organization is doing this for past greats.

I remember when they hired him. My 1st response was...who? Then he comes in and starts trading/releasing Pro-bow players. I thought this guy is going to ruin this team. Then they win 11 games. 10 years of competitive teams. No championship game. Still a good run of longevity and consistency. #2 all time Viking coach.

Nice of the Vikings to honor Denny.  He has a place in history with this team.  He knew offensive talent, but he struggled with defense.  It was like he didn't respect talent on that side of the game (releasing Doleman?).

I really wanted Dungy to stay and Denny to leave before Tony left for the Bucs.

Quote: @HappyViking said:
Nice of the Vikings to honor Denny.  He has a place in history with this team.  He knew offensive talent, but he struggled with defense.  It was like he didn't respect talent on that side of the game (releasing Doleman?).

I really wanted Dungy to stay and Denny to leave before Tony left for the Bucs.
doleman was traded at age 32 to Atlanta for a 1st and second round pick in (1994)