Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Zimmer: There will be ‘good competition’ in Vikings’ backfield
Quote: @medaille said:
I disagree that Cook is a "carry the load" back or a "workhorse" back.  I think the Vikings were overusing Cook last year.  I just don't think that is a workload that suits him as I think he'll be dinged up or injured too often with that kind of workload, but Cook is clearly the centerpiece in the backfield.  I think you just pick a snapcount you want for Cook to keep him fresh and healthy and give Murray the rest.  Maybe get a bruiser as the 3rd back for 4 minute offense situations.  Both Murray and Cook are do all type backs, but neither are physically punishing runners.
Yah, I remember thinking to myself those early games that he was getting used too much. Or at least not at a pace that was sustainable over 16 games. 

Maybe looking at the actual carry count might change my mind... 

You burn and churn RBs....there's always decent ones every year in the Draft. You see it each year. His injury had nothing to do with overuse. He's solid with excellent muscle mass. Ride Cook into the dirt.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
You burn and churn RBs....there's always decent ones every year in the Draft. You see it each year. His injury had nothing to do with overuse. He's solid with excellent muscle mass. Ride Cook into the dirt.
I disagree,  use him as necessary to keep him fresh for a long season,  it should be the plan for all starters and regular contributors.  Don't lose games because you are to conservative with your players...but when given the chance to spell them...get them off th field and get the reserves some reps.  It will save on the starters and make the reserves better players for when the have to be in there for injury or other reasons.  

Look at griffen last year,  he went down in a game that was well in hand trying to extend a sack streak and it cost him being effective the rest of the season.  How much different is last year with a healthy and effective Griff down the stretch?

As people wear down they expose themselves to injury more,  keep them as fresh as possible IMO.