OT: RIP Anthony Bourdain
Quote: @suncoastvike said:
@Sir Viking Bob VWO said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Mike Olson said:
@JimmyinSD said:
 I also think many of "mental health professionals" are likely not nearly educated enough to honestly diagnose an issue and that most of them should not be able to prescribe medications to try and "control" something that they really arent equipped to diagnose to begin with.
That's a hell of a statement right there. 

For me personally if it weren't for mental health professionals.... I would not be here today. For absolute certainty. 
not saying that there arent real professionals out there doing good work,  but the whole mental health crisis is out of whack.
Ever see the side effects for anti-depressants ??  maybe the FDA may ought to look into them alot more before allowing them...  when the most severe side effect is suicidal thoughts from an anti depressant, something is seriously wrong
and they are handed out like candy.  anti depressants are the biggest item that drug seekers are after outside of pain killers and doctors dont seem to have any issue prescribing them.  a few years back a buddy of mine was working for a chain of pharmacies out in california and he said that nearly every single person that came into their pharms had a script for prozac,  he said they went through more prozac in a week in cali than what he pushed out in a year in sioux falls,sd.   yea he was in a more populated area... but that was rediculous.
Well, I guess that explains Cali...  

I also think outside the box a lot, I think you need to look at all the GMO foods, and Fluoride in water and see the harm they do to the human brain as well.
I can't speak for California but I'll speak for my state. Florida has a huge pill problem. They changed some laws and increased difficulty of obtaining pills. Mostly pain meds. Cracked down on pill mill doctor's. We had people coming in for out of state to our "pain clinics". It was an embarrassment. Still a big problem and still touches alot of lives. At least some who were profiting off it are being held accountable. Sorry if you are handing out 2-3 months "supplies" 250+ pills to out of staters you barely checked you are no longer a doctor. You're a pusher. 
But to the topic of anti-depressants. We do a woeful job of helping mentally ill. If you have no means of support or health insurance. As alot of them don't. They pick you up off the street or something. The officers determine your mental state. They baker act you. Then the doctors have 72 hours to get you better. Which means usually sending you on your way with a bottle of pills. They will give you a referral to  mental health sevices. Get in line for weeks if not months for outpatient with no money. The state run mental hospitals we have are so few and underfunded they are reduced to mostly getting people competent to stand trial. They have 7 hospitals with around 400-600 capacity being the biggest. That's less then 4000 beds. For a state of nearly 21 million. So they keep trying to numb the symptoms insted of treating the causes. It's a sad state of the mental health problem that I'm sure is not confined to my state. We are maybe just worse at it. So you wonder why after years or less maybe of the cycle. Baker acted, released, drugged but still confused. You say screw it and check yourself out. Permanently. 
I get what you are saying, but what is the CAUSE for the mental illness?? at the current rate, the hospitals would need to double or triple to accommodate everyone, instead just treating them, lets find the cause!   

Quote: @Sir Viking Bob VWO said:
@suncoastvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Mike Olson said:
@JimmyinSD said:
 I also think many of "mental health professionals" are likely not nearly educated enough to honestly diagnose an issue and that most of them should not be able to prescribe medications to try and "control" something that they really arent equipped to diagnose to begin with.

For me personally if it weren't for mental health professionals.... I would not be here today. For absolute certainty. 
not saying that there arent real professionals out there doing good work,  but the whole mental health crisis is out of whack.
Ever see the side effects for anti-depressants ??  maybe the FDA may ought to look into them alot more before allowing them...  when the most severe side effect is suicidal thoughts from an anti depressant, something is seriously wrong
and they are handed out like candy.  anti depressants are the biggest item that drug seekers are after outside of pain killers and doctors dont seem to have any issue prescribing them.  a few years back a buddy of mine was working for a chain of pharmacies out in california and he said that nearly every single person that came into their pharms had a script for prozac,  he said they went through more prozac in a week in cali than what he pushed out in a year in sioux falls,sd.   yea he was in a more populated area... but that was rediculous.

I also think outside the box a lot, I think you need to look at all the GMO foods, and Fluoride in water and see the harm they do to the human brain as well.
I can't speak for California but I'll speak for my state. Florida has a huge pill problem. They changed some laws and increased difficulty of obtaining pills. Mostly pain meds. Cracked down on pill mill doctor's. We had people coming in for out of state to our "pain clinics". It was an embarrassment. Still a big problem and still touches alot of lives. At least some who were profiting off it are being held accountable. Sorry if you are handing out 2-3 months "supplies" 250+ pills to out of staters you barely checked you are no longer a doctor. You're a pusher. 
But to the topic of anti-depressants. We do a woeful job of helping mentally ill. If you have no means of support or health insurance. As alot of them don't. They pick you up off the street or something. The officers determine your mental state. They baker act you. Then the doctors have 72 hours to get you better. Which means usually sending you on your way with a bottle of pills. They will give you a referral to  mental health sevices. Get in line for weeks if not months for outpatient with no money. The state run mental hospitals we have are so few and underfunded they are reduced to mostly getting people competent to stand trial. They have 7 hospitals with around 400-600 capacity being the biggest. That's less then 4000 beds. For a state of nearly 21 million. So they keep trying to numb the symptoms insted of treating the causes. It's a sad state of the mental health problem that I'm sure is not confined to my state. We are maybe just worse at it. So you wonder why after years or less maybe of the cycle. Baker acted, released, drugged but still confused. You say screw it and check yourself out. Permanently. 
I get what you are saying, but what is the CAUSE for the mental illness?? at the current rate, the hospitals would need to double or triple to accommodate everyone, instead just treating them, lets find the cause!   
i have a feeling that somebody knows the common causes... but it to expensive to or to ingrained in our society to change.  I also think we may be seeing some effects of the "everybody" is special  and "you cant do that to my kid" shit that we have been feeding ourselves and our kids for the last 40+ years.   people arent as mentally equipped IMO to handle diversity and struggle as they were years ago,  we honestly have very few of us still alive in this country that can really understand real hard work,  real hunger,  at least real situations that are out of our control... some of us do stupid shit and put ourselves in bad/difficult situations,  but even then it mostly pales in comparison to what our grandparents faced in the 30s and early 40s.  and the whole devaluing of life through tv, movies, video games, and such.

but yeah... there are certainly outside influences as well that are absolutely physically changing our mental makeup.

Quote: @Sir Viking Bob VWO said:
@suncoastvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Mike Olson said:
@JimmyinSD said:

The CAUSE is not the same in ever person. The cure or numbing is sadly the same, pills. I don't know it there's more of it now or just better at diagnosis. My point is they are not keeping up with the need of treatment after diagnosing. I think because of costs they have chosen to try and numb everything the same. They get these people so numbed up the stop seeking help and only seek numbing. Then they get creative in how to get more numb. Sad really.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@suncoastvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Mike Olson said:
@JimmyinSD said:

i have a feeling that somebody knows the common causes... but it to expensive to or to ingrained in our society to change.  I also think we may be seeing some effects of the "everybody" is special  and "you cant do that to my kid" shit that we have been feeding ourselves and our kids for the last 40+ years.   people arent as mentally equipped IMO to handle diversity and struggle as they were years ago,  we honestly have very few of us still alive in this country that can really understand real hard work,  real hunger,  at least real situations that are out of our control... some of us do stupid shit and put ourselves in bad/difficult situations,  but even then it mostly pales in comparison to what our grandparents faced in the 30s and early 40s.  and the whole devaluing of life through tv, movies, video games, and such.

but yeah... there are certainly outside influences as well that are absolutely physically changing our mental makeup.
My parents are the WWII generation. Children during a depression and my father was a WWII vet. The thing is they call them the greatest generation for that. My thing is they made it though that and then were rewarded with years of prosperity. Good paying jobs. Sometimes without even a High School education. They worked in the factories that made America great. Retired with good security and nice pensions. It's not that time anymore. It is harder now to enjoy a good life. Hard work is nessisary but that alone is not enough anymore. The had it tougher and easier in the same life. If you follow what I'm saying.

Quote: @pumpf said:
I could be wrong... but it is my opinion that the same "elements" that are driving more and more people to kill themselves... is the same thing that drives people to kill others.  I don't want this to turn political in any way, so I'll just leave it at this: treating the symptoms is never going to bring about a cure.
If your opinion is right about the elements being the same that drive people to kill themselves as well as people who kill others, and in another post someone said the murder rate was down statistically, then maybe some of these suicides are for the best. 

How many times has there been a murder/suicide where we say, “If he wanted to kill himself, why not just do it, why take someone else with him?”

Disclaimer: That statement was for conversational purposes, I don’t think suicide is a good thing.

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
@suncoastvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Mike Olson said:
@JimmyinSD said:

The CAUSE is not the same in ever person. The cure or numbing is sadly the same, pills. I don't know it there's more of it now or just better at diagnosis. My point is they are not keeping up with the need of treatment after diagnosing. I think because of costs they have chosen to try and numb everything the same. They get these people so numbed up the stop seeking help and only seek numbing. Then they get creative in how to get more numb. Sad really.
I think much of it is what my daughter calls "seekers".   that is a label for people that come in with non physical ailments on a regular basis,  it can be pain that isnt attributed to any identifiable physical ailments,  and people that come in feeling "down"... the scary part for the doctors is if they send somebody away without help they get named in a wrongful death or malpractice type law suit if the individual actually does take some sort of action... and even if they arent sued you can bet the word of mouth campaign will have them in a bad light possibly hurting their practice/careers... so the easy thing is a script for some sort of feel good pill and a referral to a specialist... but very few ever make it to the specialist,   they got their pills.  Its because of these people that those that really need the care and need the specialists cant get what they need,  the system is clogged with those that are abusing it.  kind of like people that run to the doctor for every upset tummy or runny nose... 

@suncoastvike said:
@suncoastvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Mike Olson said:
@JimmyinSD said:

I think much of it is what my daughter calls "seekers".   that is a label for people that come in with non physical ailments on a regular basis,  it can be pain that isnt attributed to any identifiable physical ailments,  and people that come in feeling "down"... the scary part for the doctors is if they send somebody away without help they get named in a wrongful death or malpractice type law suit if the individual actually does take some sort of action... and even if they arent sued you can bet the word of mouth campaign will have them in a bad light possibly hurting their practice/careers... so the easy thing is a script for some sort of feel good pill and a referral to a specialist... but very few ever make it to the specialist,   they got their pills.  Its because of these people that those that really need the care and need the specialists cant get what they need,  the system is clogged with those that are abusing it.  kind of like people that run to the doctor for every upset tummy or runny nose... 
I most definitely agree with this, and it is why there now are now prescription monitoring systems being used by physicians and mid levels to combat the issue.

@suncoastvike said:
@suncoastvike said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Mike Olson said:
@JimmyinSD said:

I totally agree with your daughter. They get very creative about the answers they give the doctor. The problem I'm talking about is the treatment or the specialist for mental health. If you have no insurance which is a problem with mentality ill people because they are hard to keep employed. You get no specialist. So you medicate yourself by using a system that seems to prefer this anyhow. You are also correct I don't blame the good doctors. These seekers talk among themselves too they know which one to seek. They're crazy not stupid. Sorry had to.

I typed this in response to Suncoast's thoughts on the WW2 gen and their lives.  it wouldnt let me post it after I quoted him.

they were rewarded in the end for their years of hard work... the problem with today is that in comparison to that generation people today want to have a cushy job, live a cushy life, and want the rewards right now as well as in the end.... and that doesnt work.  everybody thinks they deserve to live in a 4 bed 2 bath home with 2 stall garage, big screen TV, smart phone,  etc,... and all the stresses that come with it,  every man wants to be married to hybrid of barbie and betty crocker,  nobody seems happy with their lot in life anymore.  (dont take this as a sexist comment on women shouldnt be allowed to work or to undermine the efforts of single parent homes)  but I think having to have 2 income homes to afford all this shit that we "have to"  have is leading to a lot of the issues we have today in society.  Kids are raising themselves and are getting their heads filled with shit that most parents wouldnt really want in their kids heads,  yes there have always been negative influences on kids,  but IMO they are much stronger,  much more prevalent, and much more dangerous in todays society... kids cant escape the bad shit anymore and unfortunately very few parents are around to shelter their kids from much.

and then we buy the cheap goods from foreign countries,  but then we piss and moan when our companies move our jobs overseas or they want to bust our unions etc... now some companies are abusing the system and making bull shit excuses all the while their investors are making huge returns on their investments and their employees struggle,  but at the same time there are companies that are truly struggling on the global market that we live in and they cant afford to play the games the way the big boys can.

as a country we need to slow down a bit,  and find some fundamentals that made our country great and try and reconnect with those beliefs and ways of life.

I typed this in response to Suncoast's thoughts on the WW2 gen and their lives.  it wouldnt let me post it after I quoted him.

they were rewarded in the end for their years of hard work... the problem with today is that in comparison to that generation people today want to have a cushy job, live a cushy life, and want the rewards right now as well as in the end.... and that doesnt work.  everybody thinks they deserve to live in a 4 bed 2 bath home with 2 stall garage, big screen TV, smart phone,  etc,... and all the stresses that come with it,  every man wants to be married to hybrid of barbie and betty crocker,  nobody seems happy with their lot in life anymore.  (dont take this as a sexist comment on women shouldnt be allowed to work or to undermine the efforts of single parent homes)  but I think having to have 2 income homes to afford all this shit that we "have to"  have is leading to a lot of the issues we have today in society.  Kids are raising themselves and are getting their heads filled with shit that most parents wouldnt really want in their kids heads,  yes there have always been negative influences on kids,  but IMO they are much stronger,  much more prevalent, and much more dangerous in todays society... kids cant escape the bad shit anymore and unfortunately very few parents are around to shelter their kids from much.

and then we buy the cheap goods from foreign countries,  but then we piss and moan when our companies move our jobs overseas or they want to bust our unions etc... now some companies are abusing the system and making bull shit excuses all the while their investors are making huge returns on their investments and their employees struggle,  but at the same time there are companies that are truly struggling on the global market that we live in and they cant afford to play the games the way the big boys can.

as a country we need to slow down a bit,  and find some fundamentals that made our country great and try and reconnect with those beliefs and ways of life.
Good job I totally agree. Not only have we seemed to lose our societal contract the family bond isn't even as close. I am a baby boomer. Trust me my folks boomed.. We lived  9 of us in a house at times from 70 year old grandma down to babies. We bathed 2 at a time when little. We ate around one table at one time. In a house that by "modern" terms would be a 4 person home. I understand what your saying all to well. But what advice my father gave me. Find a good company make a good life. I really couldn't give my kids. He was able to support all of us on his factory income. Hard to change times. I enjoy all these unnecessary things now as much as anyone. Live simple is good advice though. I agree.