Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Danielle Hunter looking to make more noise — and money — as the Vikings' frightening edge rusher
History indicates General Manager Rick Spielman will make attempts at long-term deals for all three cornerstone players prior to Week 1. Hunter is looking at a favorable market for 4-3 defensive ends.
He already has received a nearly $1.2 million pay raise for 2018 from the NFL’s “proven performance escalator” program, rewarding third- to seventh-round picks who play a lot. He’s set to become a free agent after accounting for $2.06 million of the Vikings’ salary cap this season.
Six of the NFL’s 4-3 defensive ends, including Griffen, already are averaging at least $11 million per season on long-term deals. That’s not counting two $17.1 million franchise tags on the Lions’ Ezekiel Ansah and the Cowboys’ Demarcus Lawrence.
To get to that level, Hunter said his offseason priorities revolved around conditioning and pass-rush moves.
Those two areas were pinpointed after Hunter’s first season as a full-time starter. A 20 percent increase in playing time (and 12.5 sacks the year before) led to more attention from offenses. Hunter was admittedly frustrated when he’d go long stretches in games without a true one-on-one opportunity.
That messed with his head at first.
“A lot of these young guys, they have a tendency to think so much about what they should do or what they might do,” coach Mike Zimmer said. “His natural reactions are good enough.”
Hunter started to find his groove at the end of the 2017 season. Coaches felt he hit his stride in December, when Hunter ranked as one of the most productive 4-3 pass rushers, according to Pro Football Focus.
http://www.startribune.com/danielle-hunt...5317911/#1

Before we pay him like a top DE I would like to see how productive he is on the right side agaisnt the better left tackles in the game.  It's not LDE is easier and is with its own difficulties,  but the right side pash rushers make more money so if he is going to get paid like one can he play the spot at the same level.  Or maybe the team will try and use that leverage with his cotract,  it's pretty evident that spielman and co. arent always on the up and up with their contract dealings with players.  

I can see him getting hit with the Tag, cant see us letting him leave as he is still very young and has a ton of potential to grow, if anything, I can see them releasing or trading Griffen as he is getting up there in age and has become a little injury prone.  JMO

I think thats the grand, master plan Bob...DH is the heir apparent to EG - not BRob. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
I think thats the grand, master plan Bob...DH is the heir apparent to EG - not BRob. 
I also like this Tashawn Bower kid, he is another Raw natural freak like Hunter

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Before we pay him like a top DE I would like to see how productive he is on the right side agaisnt the better left tackles in the game.  It's not LDE is easier and is with its own difficulties,  but the right side pash rushers make more money so if he is going to get paid like one can he play the spot at the same level.  Or maybe the team will try and use that leverage with his cotract,  it's pretty evident that spielman and co. arent always on the up and up with their contract dealings with players.  
Yeah, kind of assume they will keep him at LDE and pay accordingly.  Just like BRob.

Quote: @greediron said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Yeah, kind of assume they will keep him at LDE and pay accordingly.  Just like BRob.
it may be what they want,  but I would imagine his agent has other thoughts on his ability and potential worth.