Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brian O'Neill see food diet

Sorry to be a downer on this guy, but he's just an oversized TE. Its not natural weight and the guy has to fight like hell to just maintain it. His athleticism, which is very good, won't translate to the position because he's going to get handled physically. He's got no anchor, IMO. He's been at the position a very short time. A project, really.

Just my little fan's perspective, but I don't see this guy doing much.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
Sorry to be a downer on this guy, but he's just an oversized TE. Its not natural weight and the guy has to fight like hell to just maintain it. His athleticism, which is very good, won't translate to the position because he's going to get handled physically. He's got no anchor, IMO. He's been at the position a very short time. A project, really.

Just my little fan's perspective, but I don't see this guy doing much.
Speak it. I agree. I didn't get excited by this pick. I was hoping we get some Oline help for maybe this year in the draft. A plug and play. I don't see him being that. The guard draft just didn't break our way like I hoped. So we take a tackle that most view not NFL ready. No blame, just not what I hoped for. If he can, as the article states, add true muscle and not just weight he could be ok. If we answered our questions at the Tackle position for the next 10 seasons is yet to be seen. Still raw.

Disagree

Watching college game highlights like when he went against Chubb and NC State he had no problem blocking him with quick feet.  He had Chubb on the ground numerous times mostly because of his feet and lateral quickness.  I can see the criticism of him not being a power blocker and he lacks the explosiveness/power that you need at RT but I see a potential pure LT in a couple years and they are hard to come by.

I think the team sees that potential as well.  he certainly has the frame to easily put on another 10 lbs and is young enough to carry it as well - IMO.  Again, when watching the tape, he moves like a 300lb TE and I don't think weighing 310 will affect him at all.

Their are a decent amount of LT's that lack explosiveness/power that are very good LT's like Barkari (GB??).  I see O'Neill as an ideal fit in a ZBS screen game at LT in a year or two and a replacement for Reiff.  

We will see but he is a coaching up opportunity for Sparano and the training staff that could be a startying LT in two years - IMO

Quote: @minny65 said:
Disagree

Watching college game highlights like when he went against Chubb and NC State he had no problem blocking him with quick feet.  He had Chubb on the ground numerous times mostly because of his feet and lateral quickness.  I can see the criticism of him not being a power blocker and he lacks the explosiveness/power that you need at RT but I see a potential pure LT in a couple years and they are hard to come by.

I think the team sees that potential as well.  he certainly has the frame to easily put on another 10 lbs and is young enough to carry it as well - IMO.  Again, when watching the tape, he moves like a 300lb TE and I don't think weighing 310 will affect him at all.

Their are a decent amount of LT's that lack explosiveness/power that are very good LT's like Barkari (GB??).  I see O'Neill as an ideal fit in a ZBS screen game at LT in a year or two and a replacement for Reiff.  

We will see but he is a coaching up opportunity for Sparano and the training staff that could be a startying LT in two years - IMO
Thoughtful response. I hope you are right about him. 

It took All-Pro LT Jordan Gross everything he had just to keep his weight up in the NFL.  He lost 70 lbs. a year after he retired and went from 305 to 235 in about 7 months.

All-Pro Jason Peters was a former TE who made the transition to LT in the NFL.  He needed to add a bunch of weight to play offensive line.

The NFL is littered with offensive linemen who need to sustain high calorie diets to maintain a target playing weight. O'Neill is the norm, not the exception.  Very few guys in the NFL are naturally 300+ pounds with the type of athleticism we see.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
It took All-Pro LT Jordan Gross everything he had just to keep his weight up in the NFL.  He lost 70 lbs. a year after he retired and went from 305 to 235 in about 7 months.

All-Pro Jason Peters was a former TE who made the transition to LT in the NFL.  He needed to add a bunch of weight to play offensive line.

The NFL is littered with offensive linemen who need to sustain high calorie diets to maintain a target playing weight. O'Neill is the norm, not the exception.  Very few guys in the NFL are naturally 300+ pounds with the type of athleticism we see.
Glad to read this as the OP was quickly harkening me back to Kalil and his struggle to keep some anchor weight. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@Wetlander said:

Glad to read this as the OP was quickly harkening me back to Kalil and his struggle to keep some anchor weight. 
To me, Kalil's downfall is/was staying healthy.  If I remember correctly he had both knees scoped after his second season and had injections etc then he had the hip surgery 3 years ago.  He lost his lateral quickness and fast feet really after his all pro rookie year when he was downfield on blocks consistently.

That is the way I see O'Neill - LT with excellent athleticism with fast feet and lateral quickness to always be in front of the DE.  Will not overpower but won't get beat like a drum like Kalil started too after injuries. 

Some blame Kalil's breakdown to trying to keep his weight up but he certainly had the frame to hold the weight going 6'6 plus like O'Neill.  I don't necessarily blame the weight for Kalil's regression after rookie year I just blame injuries and loss of speed.

O'Neill's combine numbers were better then Kalil's other then BP so he clearly does lack some strength and will be over powered but IMO he has the feet to always be in front on the DE.  I watched all the snaps of him vs Chubb at NC State and he had him on the ground a few times and did an excellent job vs him all game.  

I think O'Neil is ideal for the ZBS and screen game at LT - maybe in a year or two.  

Quote: @minny65 said:
@purplefaithful said:
@Wetlander said:

To me, Kalil's downfall is/was staying healthy.  If I remember correctly he had both knees scoped after his second season and had injections etc then he had the hip surgery 3 years ago.  He lost his lateral quickness and fast feet really after his all pro rookie year when he was downfield on blocks consistently.

That is the way I see O'Neill - LT with excellent athleticism with fast feet and lateral quickness to always be in front of the DE.  Will not overpower but won't get beat like a drum like Kalil started too after injuries. 

Some blame Kalil's breakdown to trying to keep his weight up but he certainly had the frame to hold the weight going 6'6 plus like O'Neill.  I don't necessarily blame the weight for Kalil's regression after rookie year I just blame injuries and loss of speed.

O'Neill's combine numbers were better then Kalil's other then BP so he clearly does lack some strength and will be over powered but IMO he has the feet to always be in front on the DE.  I watched all the snaps of him vs Chubb at NC State and he had him on the ground a few times and did an excellent job vs him all game.  

I think O'Neil is ideal for the ZBS and screen game at LT - maybe in a year or two.  
I would also speculate that Kalil's lack of dedication in the offseason may have hindered his ability to stay healthy and progress as well.