Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings' Mike Remmers willing to play guard or tackle
The reconfiguration of the offensive line is probably the most pressing decision for the Vikings coaching staff will face this offseason.
The retirement of Joe Berger, who was extremely versatile on the line, means that where Mike Remmers plays is probably the most important call for coach Mike Zimmer and offensive line coach Tony Sparano.
Yes, it’s an amazing transformation for Remmers, who wasn’t recruited at all coming out of high school — he weighed only 225 pounds — and walked on at Oregon State.
“Now I weigh like 310, so a little bit of a difference,” he said.
It took Remmers a few years to establish himself in the NFL. He signed with the Broncos as an undrafted rookie free agent and then bounced around with four clubs — including a brief stay with the Vikings in 2013 — before sticking with the Carolina Panthers in 2014. He then signed a five-year, $30 million contract to rejoin the Vikings in March 2017.
While dealing with a few nagging injuries last season, Remmers played 10 games at right tackle. But in Week 16 against Chicago, he was moved to right guard for a 23-10 victory. Of his 675 snaps in the regular season, 600 came at tackle.
Remmer has taken snaps during organized team activities (OTAs) at right guard and right tackle, while the team works in Tom Compton, the free-agent guard from Rosemount last with the Bears, and second-year guard Danny Isidora.

http://www.startribune.com/vikings-mike-...484913161/

I'm not a big Remmers guy. I've seen him manhandled at times at guard and OT. Maybe if he focuses on just guard he can make some incremental growth. 

So Hill has been playing RT?  I hope he improves over his crappy play in the playoffs.  Maybe O'Neill can step up at RT sometime this year?

Worrisome I think. Wish we still had Berger's versatility.

Quote: @suncoastvike said:
Worrisome I think. Wish we still had Berger's versatility.
Berger was done 2 years ago.  He got worked himself to often last year and there has always been communication issues with Berger and his line mates that seemed to occur at a greater frequency than among other OL members.  he worked his ass off for the team, but he was never really what we wanted to see in a starting player.  His versatility was great in terms of a back up player,  but they really should have been looking for his replacement sooner than when he started contemplating retirement.

Wouldn't be surprised to see the Vikings try Colby Gossett at right tackle. 6-5, 311, 34 inch arms (fwiw, Remmers has 31 inch arms). Gossett played over 600 snaps at RT in 15 and 16. Not saying he's going to end up there because I doubt he will, but I'll bet he gets reps.