Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who could be a breakout vet?
IMO a team's biggest improvement is usually not the latest draft, but young veterans with high potential who have not yet emerged as key contributors. This year I think we have a lot of guys coming off a "redshirt year" (or two):
OT Aviante Collins & OG Danny Isadora: I see both of these guys with a better chance to contribute in 2018 than Brian O'Neill, with potential to be good starters.
S Jayron Kearse: It's about time Kearse takes a step forward to challenge for a starting role - if he ever will.
S Jack Tocho: He just converted from CB last year. Probably not ready to push Sendejo but if neither Kearse or Ant Harris improve, Tocho has a nice opportunity.
LB Eric Wilson: It's a stretch to call him a "poor man's Mychal Kendricks", but there are physical similarities, and wouldn't it be awesome to have a fast LB on the weakside?
DE Stephen Weatherly: We need another effective rotational DE, so he has a great opportunity - but also several other players (Bower, Odenigbo, Aruna) vying for that role.
WR Laquon Treadwell: I almost hesitate to list him for fear Treadwell debate will take over, but...obviously, there is still some hope he could develop.
WR Kendall Wright: Not sure a 28-year-old who already had a 1,000-yard season counts, but his career has regressed since 2013 and he could be a pleasant surprise.
WR Stacy Coley: We need a #3 WR...AND a #4 WR..so there is room for any or all of these receivers to emerge. Just based on physical talent, Coley might be the best.

Early bets on who will surprise in 2018? Anyone else I missed?

Bower might be a good one to add to your list...but the obvious low hanging fruit is Treadwell...He's getting 1st team reps...He's got enough talent to have warranted a 1st round selection...And I know I'm hoping he is one of those guys who makes the jump from year 2 to year 3...40 catches, 450 yards, and 3 scores would look pretty good...Maybe he turns into our Dwayne Bowe...He's got the blocking part down...

I would also add Jaleel Johnson.

My top five young player who may make the jump to impact player (in no particular order):
  • Aviante Collins
  •  Danny Isadora
  • Jaleel Johnson
  • Tashawn Bower
  •  Laquon Treadwell

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
I would also add Jaleel Johnson.

My top five young player who may make the jump to impact player (in no particular order):
  • Aviante Collins
  •  Danny Isadora
  • Jaleel Johnson
  • Tashawn Bower
  •  Laquon Treadwell
Very good list. Collins and Isadora would be huge if both broke through this year. Treadwell is running out of time. At what point is he just a bust. I'm a little tired of 1st round WR draft picks not being worth a 2nd contract. Laquon is treading into that territory. I think the guard and tackle would help the team more back breaking out. Treadwell would just make me feel better.

Mac Alexander?  He has not exactly set the CB world en fuego his first couple of years. I’m not predicting it, but he has a shot.

A lot of these players only have one or two years in the league...

If we're going that route, I really hope at least one of these young DEs emerges.  Weatherly, Bower, Aruna, or Odenigbo...

It would be nice to go four deep at DE and keep our top 3 guys fresh late in games (and hopefully late this season).

Quote: @Wetlander said:
A lot of these players only have one or two years in the league...

If we're going that route, I really hope at least one of these young DEs emerges.  Weatherly, Bower, Aruna, or Odenigbo...

It would be nice to go four deep at DE and keep our top 3 guys fresh late in games (and hopefully late this season).

Totally agree with that. I was a bit surprised that the Vikings kept 6 DEs on the roster last year - but hardly played 3 of them. Then they chose another, Aruna. I really think 2 of those 4 will be gone by opening day this year - but I have no idea which will remain Vikings.

Quote: @dadevike said:
Mac Alexander?  He has not exactly set the CB world en fuego his first couple of years. I’m not predicting it, but he has a shot.

Good addition. There is a theme within this topic: 2016 Draftees. Treadwell, Alexander, Weatherly, and Kearse are all hanging on to this roster primarily due to unrealized potential. Willie Beavers and MoBo are gone, and Kentrell Brothers is nothing but a ST player who is suspended for 4 games (that must be his second violation?) There is a very good chance that the "prize" of the Vikings 2016 draft will end up being a blocking TE (David Morgan)...

Quote: @dadevike said:
Yea good one. He needs to step up. I think he will actually. The tools are there.

Can't consider him a breakout candidate, per se, but I think Kendall Wright is going to be the player that surprises us all. And if that happens, it's going to be hard for Treadwell to make much of an impression as the #4 receiver, even if he makes big strides this year. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
Can't consider him a breakout candidate, per se, but I think Kendall Wright is going to be the player that surprises us all. And if that happens, it's going to be hard for Treadwell to make much of an impression as the #4 receiver, even if he makes big strides this year. 
I like your thinking. I agree KW wouldn't be a true break out at this point. Maybe more a comeback. Either way. If he and Treadwell both emerged. WOW could you imagine Wright and Treadwell 3&4 along with Diggs, Thielen and Rudolph... Sorry, I just drooled a little bit.