Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kirk Cousins getting big dose of Vikings' intense focus on red-zone offense
Kirk Cousins is looking sharp in spring practices, but he’s learning precisely what “open” means in his new offense.
Cousins passed up Vikings tight end Kyle Rudolph during a red-zone drill in Wednesday’s organized team activity practice. Rudolph wouldn’t have been the first receiver to say he was left open. But quarterbacks coach Kevin Stefanski thought Cousins missed the window for a big play and let him know afterward.
“Hey, in that situation, you might want to give Kyle a chance,” Cousins recalled hearing from Stefanski, “even though he looks covered. You have to throw him the ball. He’s open.”
The Vikings’ passing game remains an obvious work in progress after just five 11-on-11 practices into Cousins’ tenure. While the veteran quarterback found receivers Adam Thielen and Laquon Treadwell for impressive strikes, he’s still adapting to nuances of each target. They range from an effective close-quarters tight end such as Rudolph to some shifty receivers.
Jump-starting that chemistry is a continued emphasis in the red zone, where the Vikings will rely on a new quarterback and new coordinator to maintain their 2017 success.

http://www.startribune.com/kirk-cousins-...484105961/

Still very odd for me to see him as QB of our team...

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Being a Viking's QB is such a revolving door, haven't had a drafted QB since Daunte Culpepper that's lasted even a few years and had more than 1 season of real success. 

Obviously, would love to see Cousins 3 year contract in Minnesota turn into 5 or 6 and lend real consistency to the position. Also would like to see Kyle Sloter move into the #2 backup spot in 2019....would be great to see him develop and improve to that point. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@purplefaithful said:
Being a Viking's QB is such a revolving door, haven't had a drafted QB since Daunte Culpepper that's lasted even a few years and had more than 1 season of real success. 

Obviously, would love to see Cousins 3 year contract in Minnesota turn into 5 or 6 and lend real consistency to the position. Also would like to see Kyle Sloter move into the #2 backup spot in 2019....would be great to see him develop and improve to that point. 
So true about seeing a different face looking over the center. Having the same face 2 years in a row is even strange. 3 years almost unheard of. In recent terms. It's been a life time for some since we had a guy go 10+ years.

I recently started a new job, new career, new industry after 30 years of being a Market Researcher and 20 years at the same Consumer Packaged Goods Co. 

I can really empathize with what Cousins is going through right now. It's a lot to take in and it is just going to take time, no other way around it. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@purplefaithful said:
. Also would like to see Kyle Sloter move into the #2 backup spot in 2019....would be great to see him develop and improve to that point. 
I wonder about him a bit.  Hope to see some good things from the mystery man during preseason

well the last time the Vikings had the same QB start all the games in consecutive seasons is Tark in 72-73 so it would be cool to see that stat updated.

Quote: @kmillard said:
well the last time the Vikings had the same QB start all the games in consecutive seasons is Tark in 72-73 so it would be cool to see that stat updated.
That stat is almost impossible to believe!

Quote: @kmillard said:
While probably true, didn't fact check, I don't even think at this point many Viking fans would even complain about missing a game in season. What has really been missing, for me at least is having the same guy opening day starter after his 2nd season is over. All to often we get 1 year then the 2nd something always happens by the 3rd we're looking again. 5 years from 2000-2004 seasons we had Daunte. The 6th he got badly injured and it was over. Other then that the new millennium hasn't been kind to us. Much like the end of the last one...jeez.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
I recently started a new job, new career, new industry after 30 years of being a Market Researcher and 20 years at the same Consumer Packaged Goods Co. 

I can really sympathize with what Cousins is going through right now. It's a lot to take in and it is just going to take time, no other way around it. 
I hadn't heard that....good luck in your new venture.