Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Odds may be against Dalvin Cook returning to form in 2018
It is not really a surprise that Cook is expected to be back on the field for the Vikings regular season opener in 2018. The majority of NFL players are able to return to action after tearing their ACLs.
It’s just their performance after the injury that remains hard to predict.
In regards to running backs, there have been some recent cases of success after a torn ACL. But there are examples of rushers seeing a decline in production following their knee injury as well.
Los Angeles Rams running back Todd Gurley tore his ACL during his final season at the University of Georgia in 2014. Since then, Gurley has received a Pro Bowl invite during two of his three years with the Rams and he was a First-Team All-Pro selection in 2017.
Dion Lewis was in the middle of becoming the New England Patriots’ next offensive weapon in 2015 before he went down with a torn ACL. It took Lewis around a year to get back on the field for the Patriots and his production in 2016 (377 total yards in seven games) was significantly less than what he was able to do the year before (622 total yards in seven games).
Other running backs like Giovanni Bernard, Stevan Ridley, Vick Ballard, and Rashard Mendenhall all saw a decline in their on-field production after tearing their ACLs.
Based on the fact that Cook is still 22-years-old and he really has no previous history of knee injuries prior to the 2017 season, he seems to have a good chance to somewhat resemble the player he was last year for Minnesota.
https://thevikingage.com/2018/05/28/odds...form-2018/

So, basically, good running backs were once again good after their ACL. And oddly enough, bad running backs were once again bad after their ACL. 

We bet heavy he will beat the odds...imo. I sure hope he's ready for a monster season. Would have liked them to bring in another vet backup to replace Jet or drafted one.

22 years old is a baby. I got underwear older than that.

I suspect he'll come back 100% - least I hope so. 

Question in my mind is more how long it takes him to get going? Hell, we haven't seen anywhere near this kids ceiling yet - only 4 games in last year. Ugh.

Then we have Cousins getting up to speed as well. Going to be interesting to watch the offense jell as the season progresses.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
22 years old is a baby. I got underwear older than that.

I suspect he'll come back 100% - least I hope so. 

Question in my mind is more how long it takes him to get going? Hell, we haven't seen anywhere near this kids ceiling yet - only 4 games in last year. Ugh.

Then we have Cousins getting up to speed as well. Going to be interesting to watch the offense jell as the season progresses.
Doesn't help that the Vikings schedule is front loaded. @Rams and @Eagles, by far the toughest two games on the roster, are weeks 4 and 5. 

But Wobby recently made a pretty good point about Cousins and his receivers getting on the same page. Last year, Bradford was the QB, so during the OTAs and training camp, the receivers were catching passes from Sam. Then had to switch to Keenum week two. But they made that transition pretty easily.

And Wobby didn't mention this, but now that I think about it, same thing happened the year before too....when Sam took over for Teddy/Hill week two and had his best year ever...

So it could be argued that for the first time in 3 years, the Vikings QB and his weapons will have a full offseason and training camp together. 

I am hoping that they dont try and lean on Cook as hard this year.  He is a dynamic player,  but it seemed that they really wanted to showcase him early last year and really put a lot of action on him early.  Even with a full TC and preseason schedule that knee will still be in the back of his mind,  I am hoping that we see a good mix of Murray and the passing game to ease DC back into pro football.  I am sure he is going to be fighting the reins,   but I think giving him about half the snaps in the first part of the season and then sitting him down when we dont need him will keep him fresher later in the year when we will hopefully need him more.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
I am hoping that they dont try and lean on Cook as hard this year.  He is a dynamic player,  but it seemed that they really wanted to showcase him early last year and really put a lot of action on him early.  Even with a full TC and preseason schedule that knee will still be in the back of his mind,  I am hoping that we see a good mix of Murray and the passing game to ease DC back into pro football.  I am sure he is going to be fighting the reins,   but I think giving him about half the snaps in the first part of the season and then sitting him down when we dont need him will keep him fresher later in the year when we will hopefully need him more.
Agree. Vikings gave him a lot of preseason and early season carries. Hopefully one of Brown, Thomas or Boone steps up and can be relied upon as our 3rd back. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Vikings add one from training camp cuts. Fringe-roster backs are a dime a dozen in this league. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Agree. Vikings gave him a lot of preseason and early season carries. Hopefully one of Brown, Thomas or Boone steps up and can be relied upon as our 3rd back. Wouldn't be surprised to see the Vikings add one from training camp cuts. Fringe-roster backs are a dime a dozen in this league. 
I would like this as well. A vet to take a few carrys and not over work Cook. Maybe one of the UDFA's steps up. I would feel better with some experience though.

I'd definitely like to see a lighter load for Cook...Maybe a 60/40 split with Murray...Murray was damn effective once he got over his ankle...Not exactly a guy who is going to thrill you with his open field wiggle, but he'll get his...keep Cook fresh for the playoffs...

I'd like to see Cook eased into the season the first 2-3 games, but then release the hounds. He's got a strong build, he can handle the workload. If the team doesn't eventually settle into a 85/15 split, they are wasting a huge asset in Dalvin Cook.