Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Kicker Kai Forbath ‘shocked’ when Vikings drafted his potential replacement, Daniel Carlson
Barely a month after signing a nonguaranteed one-year, $775,000 contract to return to Minnesota, kicker Kai Forbath watched helplessly as the Vikings used a fifth-round pick in the 2018 NFL Draft on Auburn kicker Daniel Carlson.
While general manager Rick Spielman said the plan is for both kickers to compete for the starting job over the next few months, it’s rare for a team to draft a a kicker and then cut him.
“It was a little shocking,” Forbath said Wednesday after the Vikings’ second day of Organized Team Activities at the team’s new facility in Eagan. “I’m still here competing. It’s what I’ve always done.”|
Forbath sounded displeased about the current situation, noting that he’s always been forced to compete against someone else over the course of his six-year NFL career — not uncommon for NFL kickers. Forbath was signed mid-season in 2016 to replace struggling Blair Walsh and last season had to beat out Marshall Koehn in the preseason.
“Fortunately, I’ve never lost a competition,” Forbath said. “I’m not shying away from this one just because they drafted him. As long as I make my kicks, everything else should take care of itself.”
https://www.twincities.com/2018/05/24/ka...l-carlson/

That makes two of us that were 'shocked'. Spielman trading up to get two kickers in the 5th round in fairly recent times is a little odd. 

didnt forbath loose a kicking competion in new orleasns and thus was avalible to be signed mid season?

Walsh probably was “shocked” too when they brought Forbath in to replace him
Plenty of room for improvement in this department 
Making PATs a bit more routine would go a long way in building confidence with teamates & coaches too

Where did Forbath rank in (1) extra points; (2) touchbacks; (3) kick-off hang time; (4) accuracy inside 45 yards; (5) accuracy beyond 50 yards?  

I have not gone back to check, but I never felt like the extra point was automatic with Forbath. To his credit, he did make a huge kick in the divisional round vs. N.O.  I would guess he was better than average beyond 50 and below average in the other categories.

He also just watched the Vikings not even try to resign Keenum in the hopes of replacing him with Cousins on what was then the richest deal ever. And he was shocked they drafted a kicker?  

Maybe I am reading this wrong. Maybe he fully expected competition for the kicking job this year but was surprised the Vikings thought so little of him that they actually invested a draft pick in a kicker.

I am not really surprised. It is partly a function of Forbath’s play and partly a function of the Vikings’ very strong roster. The reality is that we did not have many positions open for a new starter from the draft: OL, LB? (probably not), nickle CB?, K.  

So getting the best college player at his position, a position of need, and a presumptive starter in the 5th round makes sense to me.

Quote: @dadevike said:
Where did Forbath rank in (1) extra points; (2) touchbacks; (3) kick-off hang time; (4) accuracy inside 45 yards; (5) accuracy beyond 50 yards?  

I have not gone back to check, 

I have not,  but would guess he is top 10 in most catagories
That used to be awesome
Now it’s a place for improvement

!

Quote: @Maple Surple said:
@dadevike said:

I have not gone back to check, 

I have not,  but would guess he is top 10 in most catagories
That used to be awesome
Now it’s a place for improvement

!

I had a quick look: overall FG percentage he was middle of the pack - 16th or 17th. On extra points he was second worst. I did not see touchback percentage or hang time. But it is possible that kickers do not always go for touchbacks.  Either way, on a SB contender, that leaves a lot if room for improvement.