Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What to watch in Vikings OTAs: Kirk Cousins leads the list
Quote: @dadevike said:
@Wetlander said:
I think there is some recency bias with Rashod Hill...  I mean the guy is just entering his 3rd season and has what, 7 starts under his belt?  He has all the athletic traits and long arms you look for in a starting OT.  I don't think it is crazy to think he still has some upside and ability to improve.  I think too many have made up their minds about him and dismiss him as a potential starting option at RT.
Nick Easton is a good example.  He started a couple games in his 2nd year due to injuries and then locked down the starting LG spot in his 3rd season.  I know many fans want to call him the "weak link" on the line, but the Vikings tendered him at the 2nd round level this offseason.  Teams don't do that for a fringe starter/backup OL.  He played pretty well last year in his first season as a starter.
Hill could make a similar leap...  it's not like he's a 5th or 6th year veteran that has likely peaked.

Completely agree.  I don't get writing off Hill because he struggled against Cameron Jordan and the Eagles' D-Line.  They are among the best in the League.  Hill is still a young guy. He may have plenty of room to improve.  And who can say that Remmers would have done any better at RT?
As for Easton, when he got injured, his absence was felt. I think he is precisely the type of guard/OL the Vikings want and why they passed on Will Hernandez. He is not a weak link on the O-line.
who is writing Hill off?   Its hard to argue though that he doesnt need to show better than he did in the playoffs to say that there shouldnt be a competition for the RT spot if they plan on kicking Remmers inside.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:

who is writing Hill off?   Its hard to argue though that he doesnt need to show better than he did in the playoffs to say that there shouldnt be a competition for the RT spot if they plan on kicking Remmers inside.
Quite a few fans have written him off as a swing tackle only...  go back and read any of the 8 million threads about the offensive line since the season ended.
As far as your second comment, of course he needs to show better.  That's like the biggest "duh statement" of the offseason.  The only thing me and dadevike were pointing out is that it seems some are being overly critical of a 2nd year player with about a half season's worth of starts under his belt.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@JimmyinSD said:

Quite a few fans have written him off as a swing tackle only...  go back and read any of the 8 million threads about the offensive line since the season ended.
As far as your second comment, of course he needs to show better.  That's like the biggest "duh statement" of the offseason.  The only thing me and dadevike were pointing out is that it seems some are being overly critical of a 2nd year player with about a half season's worth of starts under his belt.

Ive seen people say that is possibly his ceiling,  Ive seen people call for another OT to try and improve that position if Hill doesnt improve,  but I dont think I have seen anybody say definitively that he is a bust or what ever.   there are always going to be chicken littles,  but for the most part people just wanted to see better competition brought in at RT.

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@StickyBun said:
It will be interesting to watch the offensive line development. They have some bodies there, but will any rise up? I think it makes sense to hope a guy like Josh Andrews can make it as a backup C/G because he's played center and if you make Easton the primary backup for center, well he's the starting LG. So then he would need to be replaced. Its problematic: center goes down, 2 players on the line need to be replaced. Its not the right thing. Rashod Hill seems to have plateaued. Remmers seems to be deemed by the team a better fit for RG than RT. Brian O'Neill has upside but he appears to be very raw right now. Need a guy like Austin Corbett to shock the world. 

Lots of questions. 
Well, Austin Corbett shocking the world isn't going to help us much since he plays in Cleveland. :-) I think you mean Colby Gossett. And that would not surprise me too much. I'm convinced this kid will eventually be a very good starter for us. 
LMAO, yes that's who I meant. 

It all depends on how he's getting beat.  I'm not good enough at judging line talent to say whether he's lost out there or is it a situation of needing more core strength to hold the POA.  Does he get caught lunging because of poor footwork causing him to be out of balance and late resetting.