Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Well, we knew this was inevitable; Mankato feeling the pinch
All too quiet: Businesses feel impact of losing Vikings training camp
http://www.mankatofreepress.com/news/loc...eb018.html

Mankato businesses quiet on Vikings' first training-camp weekendRather than a couple of thousand Vikings fans milling along Stadium Road and looking for a beverage and a sandwich as in years past, the streets and bars were quiet in Mankato on the first day of training camp.This was the first weekend of full-squad workouts for the Vikings. Considering the comfortable weather and the anticipation that the 42-year Super Bowl drought will soon end, there would have been more than 10,000 fans over the two days on “The Hill’’ to watch walk-throughs and practices and to seek autographs.

The upper campus of Minnesota State Mankato is located on The Hill, and that includes the dormitory, the fieldhouse, the office space, the practice fields and the stadium that was home to Vikings training camp from 1966 to 2017.
“This place would be wall to wall with customers,’’ Jon Mueller said. “The whole thing is over now. That’s the reality, and we have to adapt.’’
Mueller is the owner of Jonny B’s, a bar and restaurant at University Square, the small mall across the street from Blakeslee Stadium and the parking lots used by Vikings fans.
This was noontime on Saturday, and rather than a couple of thousand Vikings fans milling along Stadium Road and looking for a beverage and a sandwich, there were a handful of customers in Jonny B’s.
The two people at the bar were Jonny and an off-duty bartender. There was a cook and a pair of bartender/waiters, and that was it.
“I’m only here now to support my staff,’’ Mueller said. “We all know it’s a weekend when the Vikings would’ve been here, and I thought they would be feeling a little lonely.’’
The young woman behind the bar said: “We are. We’d be going crazy serving food and drinks right now, if the Vikings were in town.’’
Mueller has been involved in the bar business on The Hill since 1989. He was working for Universal Sounds/Market Systems, designing and setting up clubs and bars.
“We had a job with the Albatross, the legendary ’Tross that used to be right around the corner from this place,” Mueller said. “I did some work there in ’89, I was offered a job as a bar manager, and I’ve never left.’’
The Vikings were staying in Mankato for five or six weeks in those days, and the Albatross was a nightly stop for players. Mueller opened “Boomtown,’’ also around the corner, in 1994. The players, coaches and team officials tried to avoid operating on the same shift at Boomtown, which was a madhouse during training camp.
Mueller opened a second bar next door in 2004, and it was named Johnny B’s, as in Johnny Boom. He sold Boomtown a couple of years later, and that’s now called Bradley’s.
“This used to be a Burger King,’’ Mueller said as he sat in Jonny B’s. “Before that, it was a Hardee’s.’’
Mueller smiled and said: “Right out there, that’s where Keith Millard put his vehicle in the flower bed. I was with him that night … at the Albatross.’’
Millard, the great defensive tackle, missing the entrance for the Hardee’s drive-through. That’s an infamous tale in training camp lore.
There are dozens of photos on Jonny B’s walls — favorite Vikings, famous Vikings. Mueller has scores of Vikings friends (none more so than Mike Tice) from his 28 years of training camps on The Hill, and hundreds of great stories...
“Those shan’t be told,’’ Jonny said. “But we sure are going to miss having some new ones to not tell.’’

http://www.startribune.com/mankato-busin...489469421/

I found it a little polarizing. I'm excited for the team and fans moving forward; it's incredibly sad to see regular people lose relationships and business that made them thrive. I can't help but imagine that photo being taken while camp is going on...

The story the media couldn't wait to tell for a whole year. 

It's kind of a sad reality of sports. Some places get squeezed out. It kind of reminds me of spring training and minor league parks. Some MLB teams play one city against another. Build us a new facility or we move our team. The city is left weighing the cost over the loss. How long will minor league attendance and spring training alone take to make the money back. Some of these cities are not big enough to handle that cost. Or NFL/MLB teams force cities to build and contribute to their teams stadiums or they will relocate. Mostly an NFL ploy. It's nice to have that monkey off the Vikings back or mine. I would not be a Viking(or whatever they might be called)fan if they weren't the Minnesota Vikings. Selfishly I'm only happy they got a beautiful new facility for play and practice. Still I hate to hear about these small businesses owners feeling the pinch for things outside their control.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
The story the media couldn't wait to tell for a whole year. 

That is true. I feel for the town and they'll have to adjust as they all know. Won't ever be the same. Mankato's loss is certainly Eagan's gain, and frankly the Vikings gain too. 

I gotta get down to TCO one of these days after the crowds are gone. 

but its all good,  at least Zygi is able to profit more this way,  imagine how much better the team will be with those camp millions going into the team coffers now instead of mankatos.    :#

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
but its all good,  at least Zygi is able to profit more this way,  imagine how much better the team will be with those camp millions going into the team coffers now instead of mankatos.    :#
Lord knows what the Wilf's paid for TCO and it will grow over time too. It makes the Vikings a stronger organization in so many ways. I don't begrudge em on this, even though I'm still a bit pissy about my PSL fees. 

We all knew it was inevitable once TCO was announced...First year away is tough for us fans and the town for sure. OTOH, I'm sure there are new families going to Eagan who never would have made their way to Mankato. They'll make their own memories. 

For me? I'm grateful to have had the memories in Mankato TC for most of my life. I brought my son down there with his cousins when they were 5,8,10, now he's 25.

Stopping @ Emma Krumbee's for Pie on the way home, hanging out with the players @ Jakes stadium pizza (the first one, not the new one), that small town feel. Was awesome. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
@JimmyinSD said:
Lord knows what the Wilf's paid for TCO and it will grow over time too. It makes the Vikings a stronger organization in so many ways. I don't begrudge em on this, even though I'm still a bit pissy about my PSL fees. 

We all knew it was inevitable once TCO was announced...First year away is tough for us fans and the town for sure. OTOH, I'm sure there are new families going to Eagan who never would have made their way to Mankato. They'll make their own memories. 

For me? I'm grateful to have had the memories in Mankato TC for most of my life. I brought my son down there with his cousins when they were 5,8,10, now he's 25.

Stopping @ Emma Krumbee's for Pie on the way home, hanging out with the players @ Jakes stadium pizza (the first one, not the new one), that small town feel. Was awesome. 

I just dont like how the team is getting further and further away from the fans all the time.  its just the nature of the game I know, and the new facility will make them more competitive in the FA market,  but Kato was a way to introduce those players to the common fan,  not just the ones that can afford the premium seats or the fancy fund raisers with the players.  I know, I know,... get off my lawn and all that old guy shit,  but I am just wishing that not everything had to change for the money.

I feel for Mankato, I really do. But change is unavoidable. This facility in Eagan is top notch. It's absolutely beautiful. It is taking a little getting used to the size but they have added a lot of really nice touches. It has a different feel and vibe. It's all excitement in Eagan and sadness in Mankato.