Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFL Analyst Projects O'Neill as opening day starter
https://thevikingage.com/2018/05/16/anal...ings-2018/

NFL Media’s Gregg Rosenthal believes that rookie offensive tackle Brian O’Neill will open up the 2018 season as a starter for the Minnesota Vikings.
I'd say 6th rounder Colby Gossett has a better chance of starting on the line than Brian O'Neill. 

I've got a better chance of starting than O'Neill...

Well this certainly lowers the bar for what it takes to be an NFL analyst.  99% of the reviews have said hes a project and this guys predicting a starter. ..ok

But will he be ready?? I'm not going to worry one way or another.  With luck the coaches can decide and hopefully not necessity. 

When he's ready he'll be ready.

We'll see how much weight he can put on between now and camp. I'd say its an uphill battle but not impossible. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
We'll see how much weight he can put on between now and camp. I'd say its an uphill battle but not impossible. 
He needs strength and some more muscle density. Probably should be at 315 lbs., not sure he can get there in one year. 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
Well this certainly lowers the bar for what it takes to be an NFL analyst.  99% of the reviews have said hes a project and this guys predicting a starter. ..ok
Yeah, he's an NFL analyst. He's looking at a depth chart and a 2nd round pick and putting two and two together. If he were a draft analyst, or anyone who sat down and bothered to watch the Senior Bowl, he would have a different take. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
Maybe he can put on 10 more lbs before camp, but I'd say he needs more than just anchor weight. He needs pretty serious coaching before NFL pass rushers jack him up and push him into the QB. He gives up his chest too easily, and when he's upright, it's over.

The most alarming thing about O'Neill is that he comes from an offense at Pitt of bootlegs and rolling pockets, where he can look pretty good. No doubt, on the hoof he's fantastic. If all we do is have him pull and get in front of screens or outside runs, he'll be rookie of the year.

But sadly in the NFL he'll be asked to protect the QB in a stationary pocket. The Senior Bowl was the first time we saw him in an offense like that and it showed just how far away he is. 

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
He needs strength and some more muscle density. Probably should be at 315 lbs., not sure he can get there in one year. 
He was able to gain about 35lbs of good weight in 6 weeks when he was transitioning from TE to OT at Pitt. So I wouldn't call it a reach to think he can gain an additional 25 in the 8-10 weeks he's before training camp in an NFL strength & conditioning program.