Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aviante Collins
Rick had mentioned in his recent post-draft interview with PA how impressed they are with Aviante Collins. 

I stumbled across this film session on you tube when he was used in the Jumbo package against the Bears last season. 

I like what I see. I think he has much better upside over Hill if Remmers moves to RG. 

Can't be a bad thing when your heavy package features a guy who did 34 reps and ran a 4.8. Sure looks good moving forward. Haven't seen him much in pass pro though. 

There is a reason they kept Collins on the 53 man roster all last year.

If both he and O'Neill work out the Vikings will have two of the most athletic tackles in the NFL.

Sounds good on paper.

They just need one of Hill, Collins, O'Neill to work out.  And the fact of the matter is Remmers can be serviceable at RT which unfortunately is a BIG improvement over the previous few years.  If Gossett or Isadora or?? can man the OG spot they can be at least above average with Remmers at RT, Elf, Easton, Reiff.

Quote: @NodakViking said:
They just need one of Hill, Collins, O'Neill to work out.  And the fact of the matter is Remmers can be serviceable at RT which unfortunately is a BIG improvement over the previous few years.  If Gossett or Isadora or?? can man the OG spot they can be at least above average with Remmers at RT, Elf, Easton, Reiff.
I'm seeing a lot of 53 man roster predictions with Easton and Compton being cut, Remmers to LG, Isidora and Gossett battling for the RG position, and Collins and Hill battling for the RT position. Not sure I agree with some
of those takes but it should be a very interesting battle in the offseason to see how it all plays out. 

Quote: @TBro said:
@NodakViking said:
I'm seeing a lot of 53 man roster predictions with Easton and Compton being cut, Remmers to LG, Isidora and Gossett battling for the RG position, and Collins and Hill battling for the RT position. Not sure I agree with some
of those takes but it should be a very interesting battle in the offseason to see how it all plays out. 
I've read those articles too.  They come from fans, and quite frankly, they don't know anything.  Easton is not going to be cut, they did not assign a 2nd round tender to him just to cut him.

Easton isn't getting cut.  I love Collins at Tackle long term

Quote: @Ponifan said:
@TBro said:
@NodakViking said:
I've read those articles too.  They come from fans, and quite frankly, they don't know anything.  Easton is not going to be cut, they did not assign a 2nd round tender to him just to cut him.
It was from a writer at SB Nation/Daily Norsemen so take it for what it's worth. I do find it interesting that when they were playing musical chairs with the OLine late last year, they moved Remmers from RT all the way over to LG. To me, that still seems very strange and disruptive when we had interior lineman on the roster that would seem to be a better fit. Boone was a surprise cut so you never know. I pulled the section from the article about Easton below. 

It may be surprising that I have Nick Easton being cut, but there are some ‘reading of tea-leaves’ behind it. First, the Vikings were hesitant about extending Easton under his restricted free agent deal. They did, at the last minute, but appeared to be struggling with what to do. Easton now is on a one-year, $3 million deal with no dead cap. The starting left guard last year, Easton is curiously listed as a center on the Vikings roster. Last, the Vikings met with a lot of guys that play center in the pre-draft process, and brought in Josh Andrews, who John DeFilippo knows from Philly, who could function as a backup interior lineman. All that, combined with the talk of moving Remmers to left guard- as they did late last season- and there is reason to believe Easton is not in the Vikings future plans. He was ranked #58 of 77 guards last year by PFF, and has never been rated above the low-40s overall (poor) in his two seasons with starting duty for the Vikings.

Why would you cut Easton?