Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Final takeaways from the Vikings’ draft weekend
The Minnesota Vikings came away from NFL Draft weekend with a cornerback, two O-linemen, two D-linemen, a kicker, a tight end and a linebacker. There’s no telling this soon whether any or all will become key players this year and beyond, but there are plenty of storylines to take away. Here are five…:The long-term impact of Round 2 will be worth watching

The Vikings stuck with their philosophy of not using significant draft capital to move up in the second, even when there was a run on guards to start the round. It appeared to take the team off guard as both lead scout Jamaal Stephenson and GM Rick Spielman said they had never seen so many interior offensive linemen get picked so early.
The question is whether they will regret either not taking a guard in the first or not spending to move up into the middle of the second. \

Terence Newman may be coming back
As soon as the Vikings picked a corner in the first round – especially with some concerns surrounding his background – the next call should have been to Terence Newman. The 39-year-old DB has essentially been a player/coach over the past few years and his presence could pay dividends with Hughes and developing corner Mackensie Alexander alone. 
The Vikings improved their depth at key positions
No matter the drama surrounding the first and second rounds, it’s clear the Vikings are now stronger overall in several key spots. At worst, O’Neill would be a better than average backup to Hill. If he wins the starting job, Hill has proven to be a terrific backup. Also Mike Hughes gives the Vikings a talented rotational player or a potential starter at nickel, which could keep Alexander as a rotational guy, where he was solid last season.
The division got tougher

The Bears, Packers and Lions all had terrific drafts. Chicago pulled in a haul by landing Roquan Smith, James Daniels and Anthony Miller with their first three selections. The Packers, who had the second worst QB rating against in the NFL, picked two highly-rated corners in Jaire Alexander and Josh Jackson. Detroit nabbed center Frank Ragnow, making their offensive line appear stacked to take on the Vikings’ D-line.
UDFAs could have a shot to make the roster
The Vikings only had eight picks, meaning there will be a little more room for competition. Last year, two undrafted free agents made the team, there could be even more this year. So don’t dismiss players signed after the draft, especially CB Holton Hill, who was rated by some as a top 100 prospect. 
http://www.1500espn.com/vikings-2/2018/0...t-weekend/

Granted, I'm infamously not a draftnik, but my overall take is that the team feels pretty good with most of its existing starters, and drafted "malleable" athletes that could take a bit of time to get immersed in the team's systems.  Zimmer seems to put the most faith in players that he develops, so it's not surprising that he wants raw talent to work with.

Not a splashy draft, and we likely won't know its true value for 2-3 seasons. 

I think it's a bit of a stretch to say the Bears, Lions, and Packers had "terrific" drafts...
I thought the Bears had the best draft of the three.  They did a good job of adding some potential impact players on offense and defense in the early rounds.  Easy to do when you pick in the top 10 of each round.  However, they still look like they are a year or two away from competing in the division unless Trubisky makes a monumental jump in Year 2.
The Lions didn't have many total picks, but the ones they did make should help give them the best running game they've had in years (with the addition of some free agents).  That said, I don't think they did much to improve any of the holes they have on defense.  The Lions are a solid team, but I don't think any of the moves they made this offseason will help them surpass the Vikings in the division.
Finally, the Packers...  I think they missed a real opportunity to improve their pass rush by passing on both Tremaine Edmunds and Marcus Davenport in the first round.  The first round pick they received from New Orleans softens the blow, but I was really surprised they didn't grab Edmunds when they traded back up to 18.  It looks even worse when they took CBs with back-to-back picks.  I like both Alexander and Jackson, but one would have been sufficient to address their secondary issues when you consider they have 2nd year CB Kevin King and signed Tramon Williams and Davon House.  Overall, I thought GB had a solid draft, but I don't know that they did enough to address some of the holes on their defense.  They better pray that Clay Matthews and Nick Perry stay healthy all season.
Overall, I think the Vikings still have the best roster in the division.

The more holes you have on your roster the easier it is to find guys capable of contributing early.
4 years ago Hughes would be a day one starter, O'Neill probably would have had a shot 2 years ago.

Yep.

We weren't desperate to find four starters in this year's draft.

It's a different perspective when your roster is rich.  I love that my team has an elite secondary, for instance.  I accept that the price for upkeep on it is going to be high.
Also, this team has never had such a deep coaching staff, and they are using it to full advantage in their selections.

Anyone remember the Wasawa Serwenga years? 

I do...

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
Anyone remember the Wasawa Serwenga years? 

I do...
Didn't he play opposite WR Robert Tate under Coach Green?

Point Taken

Quote: @Wetlander said:
I think it's a bit of a stretch to say the Bears, Lions, and Packers had "terrific" drafts...
I thought the Bears had the best draft of the three.  They did a good job of adding some potential impact players on offense and defense in the early rounds.  Easy to do when you pick in the top 10 of each round.  However, they still look like they are a year or two away from competing in the division unless Trubisky makes a monumental jump in Year 2.
The Lions didn't have many total picks, but the ones they did make should help give them the best running game they've had in years (with the addition of some free agents).  That said, I don't think they did much to improve any of the holes they have on defense.  The Lions are a solid team, but I don't think any of the moves they made this offseason will help them surpass the Vikings in the division.
Finally, the Packers...  I think they missed a real opportunity to improve their pass rush by passing on both Tremaine Edmunds and Marcus Davenport in the first round.  The first round pick they received from New Orleans softens the blow, but I was really surprised they didn't grab Edmunds when they traded back up to 18.  It looks even worse when they took CBs with back-to-back picks.  I like both Alexander and Jackson, but one would have been sufficient to address their secondary issues when you consider they have 2nd year CB Kevin King and signed Tramon Williams and Davon House.  Overall, I thought GB had a solid draft, but I don't know that they did enough to address some of the holes on their defense.  They better pray that Clay Matthews and Nick Perry stay healthy all season.
Overall, I think the Vikings still have the best roster in the division.
And drafting 3 WR's seems like a huge stretch.  More than back to back CB's IMO.

Quote: @Zanary said:
Granted, I'm infamously not a draftnik, but my overall take is that the team feels pretty good with most of its existing starters, and drafted "malleable" athletes that could take a bit of time to get immersed in the team's systems.  Zimmer seems to put the most faith in players that he develops, so it's not surprising that he wants raw talent to work with.

Not a splashy draft, and we likely won't know its true value for 2-3 seasons. 
I think that is a great point.  Not a draft geek here either.  But we seemed to focus on the raw talent that the coaches can mold.  Not looking for the immediate starter allows the players to be coached first.  Interesting concept, hope it works.  I think the biggest issues is that our roster has always been so full of holes, we haven't seen this approach by our team before.  NE seems to have it down.