Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Rookie Free Agents
It looks like the Vikings are putting together a strong rookie FA class, which helps take some of the sting out of the draft. We lost a lot of depth in FA, so these guys have a chance to make the roster and contribute this year. Here's an incomplete list of signings and keep in mind that these can change and some guys reported as being signed were really brought in for workouts:

https://twitter.com/ArifHasanNFL/status/...0535312384

There are some interesting names on this list. Holton Hill is a prototype Zimmer outside corner. 6'2 196 with 32" arms and 4.49 speed. Talent-wise he should have been an early round pick, but he's had some maturity and off the field issues. If they get him to buy into the system and stay out of trouble, then he has the talent to be a very good player.

Hercules Mata'afa is another player that I like. Undersized DT with a high motor who had 10.5 sacks and 2 FF fumbles last season. It's pretty clear that with the addition of Sheldon Richardson, Jalyn Holmes, and now Mata'afa, that the Vikings are really putting an emphasis on generating interior pressure. I think that is a good move, since as teams move to quicker passing attacks, the quickest way to the QB will be up the middle.

Quote: @Tyr said:
There are some interesting names on this list. 

Hercules Mata'afa 
No Kidding !

Love this part of the non draft 
one more legit shot for these kids

Quote: @Tyr said:
There are some interesting names on this list. Holton Hill is a prototype Zimmer outside corner. 6'2 196 with 32" arms and 4.49 speed. Talent-wise he should have been an early round pick, but he's had some maturity and off the field issues. If they get him to buy into the system and stay out of trouble, then he has the talent to be a very good player.

Hercules Mata'afa is another player that I like. Undersized DT with a high motor who had 10.5 sacks and 2 FF fumbles last season. It's pretty clear that with the addition of Sheldon Richardson, Jalyn Holmes, and now Mata'afa, that the Vikings are really putting an emphasis on generating interior pressure. I think that is a good move, since as teams move to quicker passing attacks, the quickest way to the QB will be up the middle.
I'm happy he gets a chance, but I don't see a place for him in the pros.  He's way too small to play DL, DE or DT.  He can only be a designated pass-rusher on 3rd down, and I would prefer him to be a stand-up player. 

I like Hercules, but he does not seem athletic enough for fis size for the NFL. But some guys just have a knack. I hope he is one of them.

Hill, on the other hand, has excellent size and skills. Could be a steal if his head is on straight.

For being awesome in college and even shredding upper level programs, Wieneke had poor workouts measurable wise. He ran a 4.67 which hurts even if he is 6-4 221. He only did 9 reps as well which is a bit of a headscratcher if you’ve seen him play. In games the guy makes plays all over the field even when well covered. He seems adept at getting open overall but next level he’ll have to do all the little things perfect. To me he is an interesting one. He’s big like a Brandon Marshall which may help him latch on for red zone mismatches. He excells in close and provides some value. I really like the guy as a player but he will have to work hard like Chris Carter did and carve out a chain moving role.

Quote: @Havoc1649 said:
For being awesome in college and even shredding upper level programs, Wieneke had poor workouts measurable wise. He ran a 4.67 which hurts even if he is 6-4 221. He only did 9 reps as well which is a bit of a headscratcher if you’ve seen him play. In games the guy makes plays all over the field even when well covered. He seems adept at getting open overall but next level he’ll have to do all the little things perfect. To me he is an interesting one. He’s big like a Brandon Marshall which may help him latch on for red zone mismatches. He excells in close and provides some value. I really like the guy as a player but he will have to work hard like Chris Carter did and carve out a chain moving role.
I liked this signing too, but his 40 speed is unimpressive to say the least.  He's like a TE minus 20 pounds.  No one is expecting him to make it, so he can only surprise.

He did 9 reps?  This guy's doesn't train at all during the off-season, he just shows up on the practice field.  If he doesn't get serious about football, he is wasting everyone's time coming to camp.

IMO Holton Hill is the most likely diamond - could have been a 3rd rounder, but that says a lot about how teams feel his attitude is poor.

Know what strikes me about Wieneke? His workout numbers are pretty similar to Laquon Treadwell's (though Wieneke is a couple inches taller). Both were big producers in college but only by outmuscling college DBs, not by getting separation. Signing a guy like that as a UDFA is fine...why the hell did we draft one 23rd overall??? I know, old wound, but I look at how the Vikings heavily emphasized measurables and physical potential in this draft (and most of their recent drafts), and Treadwell remains the most unexplainable pick.