Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hughes justification
Pure speculation on my part, but does passing on Hernandez and Williams at 30 indicate that the Vikings have no intention of keeping Remmers at
RT this year? Hernandez is purely a guard, and Williams also fell because he projects as a guard in the NFL. In a very weak OT draft that saw Kolton Miller go to the Raiders at 15, there were zero 1st round tackles on the board at 30. That could explain why they took a pass on those two and will
find their Right Tackle in the 2nd. 

I think you are correct that they want to move Remmers to RG, and I also think that the Vikings in general values OTs more than OGs (when they do draft offensive linemen relatively high).
But this theory is weakened by Connor Williams, because the idea he "must" move to OG is hardly definite. Williams played LT - tougher than RT - throughout college and until his injuries in 2017, played it extremely well. The ideas of him switching to OG are primarily due to his arm length. Williams' arms measured 33" at the combine - a whopping 1/4" shorter than those of our LT, Riley Reiff.
I wasn't personally set on drafting OL (partly because I have given up on Spielman doing so). But Hughes looks like a project and/or a part-time player even if he works out. A safety, WR, TE, or DL would seem much more likely to become a full-time starter.

It really is amazing what Zimmer was able to do despite having a roster that is totally devoid of any talent whatsoever...Furthermore, I've heard Spielman doesn't recycle and he parks in handicap spots.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
I think you are correct that they want to move Remmers to RG, and I also think that the Vikings in general values OTs more than OGs (when they do draft offensive linemen relatively high).
But this theory is weakened by Connor Williams, because the idea he "must" move to OG is hardly definite. Williams played LT - tougher than RT - throughout college and until his injuries in 2017, played it extremely well. The ideas of him switching to OG are primarily due to his arm length. Williams' arms measured 33" at the combine - a whopping 1/4" shorter than those of our LT, Riley Reiff.
I wasn't personally set on drafting OL (partly because I have given up on Spielman doing so). But Hughes looks like a project and/or a part-time player even if he works out. A safety, WR, TE, or DL would seem much more likely to become a full-time starter.
Remmers is even worse at 31.25" so it does make sense that they have decided to kick him to RG. I would have taken my chances with Williams and stuck him at RT, but we have zero depth at Corner, and there is no guarantee we will resign Waynes after his option, or that Alexander will ever develop into a reliable slot corner so I understand why they took Hughes as they claim he was the highest rated player on their board at a position of need. Hopefully he will develop and contribute faster than just a part-time nickle/dime, and return man. We will need his coverage skills against the better teams with potent passing attacks like the Saints, Patriots, Eagles, etc. as that was really exposed in the playoffs last year. Our pass rush also was terrible after Griffin's injury. Don't be surprised if they decide to take a pass rushing DE with 62 if they feel that value is better than the Oline prospects. We will really see some melt downs on this board after that. 

Hi.  My name is Mike, and I'm addicted to justifying the Mike Hughes Pick.

First of all we have the same first name.  How cool is that?

Secondly, he project for me as more than a part-timer First Year.  Good players get on the field.  Danielle Hunter was green as grass and got over 600 snaps rookie season.

He will help reinforce an elite Secondary for years to come.  Like I said about Justin Reid, who I thought would be the pick, 'He Completes The Set'.

Thirdly, he can locate the ball and high point it and even catch it.

I really expect Offense to be the focus for Rounds 2 and 3.

Quote: @kahsmick said:
Hi.  My name is Mike, and I'm addicted to justifying the Mike Hughes Pick.

First of all we have the same first name.  How cool is that?

Secondly, he project for me as more than a part-timer First Year.  Good players get on the field.  Danielle Hunter was green as grass and got over 600 snaps rookie season.

He will help reinforce an elite Secondary for years to come.  Like I said about Justin Reid, who I thought would be the pick, 'He Completes The Set'.

Thirdly, he can locate the ball and high point it and even catch it.

I really expect Offense to be the focus for Rounds 2 and 3.
Mike, I just want you to know that it's OK to not like the pick. IT'S OK!!