Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What predraft scouting reports said about the Vikings' first-round pick
"Despite being a little short, he is likely to stay outside in coverage. While teams wait for him to gain coverage experience, they can certainly lean on his tremendous talents as a return man. Hughes has potential, but there is still work to be done in coverage." -- NFL.com.
"Hughes is a natural cover corner with speed, quick feet, and agility. He is very fluid and does a good job of running the route with receivers to prevent them from gaining separation. Hughes keeps wideouts from coming open and is quick to recover if they get a step. Hughes has nice hips to turn to run downfield with speed receivers. He also is a willing tackler." -- WalterFootball.com
"His one season at UCF was filled with impressive coverage, returns and interceptions. He does a great job utilizing the trail technique to stay in position for pass break ups and baiting quarterbacks into ill-advised throws. His ability to play the ball in the air really makes this technique work for him and his 35-inch vertical certainly helps. When playing off, which happened often in the Knights' scheme, he has quick feet to mirror his man but there is room for improvement." -- NFLdraftbible.com
"Mike Hughes is cornerback prospect in the 2018 NFL Draft who can also be categorized as a playmaker. This is an explosive athlete who jumps off the screen with his quickness. His burst shows up both on defense and special teams. Hughes is an electric return man with 3 touchdowns this past season. He is ready to contribute immediately on both kick and punt returns." -- Fansided.com

Sounds good to me. 

I'm okay with this pick.  There are three potential first-round grade OLs who were not picked up in the first round.  What round did we pick up Dalvin Cook last year?  The world has not ended.

Quote: @Montana Tom said:
I'm okay with this pick.  There are three potential first-round grade OLs who were not picked up in the first round.  What round did we pick up Dalvin Cook last year?  The world has not ended.
Yep, we also got our starting center (that most everone here loves) in the 3rd.  

to be fair theyll all be long gone by the time we pick even if we were to package our 2+3 to move up. 

Where did we get Pat Elfline?

I'm with you Tom, still time to address Oline and DLine.

Quote: @Bolstad79 said:
@Montana Tom said:

Last yrs 2nd rd pick.

Quote: @ATXVIKE said:
@Bolstad79 said:

Last yrs 2nd rd pick.
It was actually an early 3rd round pick.  We took Dalvin Cook in the 2nd round.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
"Despite being a little short, he is likely to stay outside in coverage. While teams wait for him to gain coverage experience, they can certainly lean on his tremendous talents as a return man. Hughes has potential, but there is still work to be done in coverage." -- NFL.com.

How is he expected to help quickly in slot coverage? This is just another case like Josh Robinson and Mac Alexander: played outside CB in college, but since they are all 5'10", they would be eaten alive by the big outside WRs in the NFL, so they are FORCED to become nickelbacks. Problem is, that doesn't always translate. How did being undersized become an attribute??

Quote: @ATXVIKE said:
@Bolstad79 said:
@Montana Tom said:

Last yrs 2nd rd pick.
It was a rhetorical question, but the answer was the 3rd.

There's still good lineman in the draft, there's still good Dlineman in the draft.