Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Hughes
Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
My angst isn't so much about takING a CB at 30,  it's taking a short CB that high.  Recievers seen to get bigger ad taller every year,  I hate watching jump balls over top of defenders. 
He has a great vertical and broad jump. He plays taller than his size with his athletic ability. 

Quote: @TBro said:
@JimmyinSD said:
My angst isn't so much about takING a CB at 30,  it's taking a short CB that high.  Recievers seen to get bigger ad taller every year,  I hate watching jump balls over top of defenders. 
He has a great vertical and broad jump. He plays taller than his size with his athletic ability. 
He also has receiver like ball skills to go a long with his return game. 

Quote: @Poiple said:

A short and inexperinced CB.  The only thing BIG about Hughes is the questions about his CHARACTER issues.  
Why does everyone keep calling him "short" like it's something bad.  The dude was measured at 5'10 1/8 at the NFL combine.  You know who else was 5'10?  Terence Newman.  I don't hear anyone calling him short.  You know how many CBs are starting in the NFL that are under 6'0 tall?  A bunch of them. 

Quote: @KingBash said:
@TBro said:
@Poiple said:
Surprising how many think a nickle or dime corner is more important than a starting O lineman.  Well apparently some of the pros agree with them.  

I hate watching adults learn costly lessons the hard way.  I hope they have a better reason than we thought it was the better fit because thats just blowing smoke.
I wouldn't say more important. A 3rd or 4th corner in this scheme sees a lot of playing time, especially in crucial passing situations. The Vikings Nickle and Dime corners are more important than the 3rd LB position that Gedeon plays in my opinion. After Wynn and Price were gone, they probably didn't like what was left enough to draft them at 30 since they tried to trade down. I think they were just following their draft board and took the highest rated player at the 5 positions Spielman said they would consider with the 1st pick. 
I don't know nearly enough to say whether or not I like the pick, but unless they'd picked a punter or something, I trust Zimmer and Spielman for the reason I bolded.

In today's passing offense, you can't stress the importance of a deep secondary enough. If Rhodes blows a knee out, this first round pick suddenly becomes a major player in our defense and we're still possibly contenders. If we lose Rhodes or Waynes, our secondary becomse a major liability without this guy.

Fun pick? No. But a pick I think we needed.

And to everybody that says we're neglecting the O-line... it's just the first round. Kahlil was a first rounder and he's dog shit. I'm sure there are plenty of guys available in rounds 2-4 who can come in and start day one and upgrade our line significantly.
I also think that they are committed to moving Remmers to guard which is why they took a pass on Hernandez and Williams who were sitting there at 30. We will draft our new starter at Right Tackle tonight in my opinion. 

Sounds like Zimmer may play 4 corners and 1 safety in the nickel.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
A lot of people had Oliver as a Zimmer type guy, because he tall, long and has that attitude, but when I look at Oliver, I see a boundary corner.  I don't really see a guy who's going to be playing the slot receiver, so he's a guy that would get no playing time this year, you still have a weakness at nickle, and you're pretty much pushing Waynes out next year, so you aren't gaining anything roster-wise except he's cheaper.

A guy like Hughes can play the outside if Waynes can't be resigned, but also has the body type to play nickle which upgrades our defense in the short term if he outcompetes Alexander or an aging Newman.  If Waynes moves on, there's also a chance of Alexander playing outside in nickle which is probably his more natural spot and Hughes manning the slot.

@JimmyinSD said:

A 35.5" vertical from a 189-pound guy doesn't strike me as "great". It's good, but 40" or near is in the great category.

I also think that they are committed to moving Remmers to guard which is why they took a pass on Hernandez and Williams who were sitting there at 30. We will draft our new starter at Right Tackle tonight in my opinion. 
Ha, don't hold your breath. Some defensive lineman or even another DB will get picked at #2. Maybe - maybe! - offensive line in the 3rd, no sooner.

Which olineman left is better than our current starters or would they also be for depth and the future just like Hughes.  In Zim---I have faith.