Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Hughes
He clearly was BPA and the oline starters went earlier.  And there is depth in the oline draft. They will get a few.

Well this should certainly signal the end of Marcus Sherels time here,  othewise I think we could label this pick a fail on its first year.  or maybe this means Newman isn't returning?

I don't like the pick,  I agree there was maybe greater need elsewhere, but they stuck to their draft board and I think that's important.  Have a plan and execute it.  It's that same plan that got us Cook and Elflein last year on day 2.

Sherels could still handle punt returns and Hughes kickoff returns.   Sherels still has to play CB on occasion due to injuries so he is still depth.  I assume Newman will be back too.    I think it does make Sherels more questionable than in past years but we think this every year.

So much hand wringing over a pick...  it was pretty clear that the Vikings were going to take a CB at some point in the draft...  and likely within the first 3 rounds.  Would it have made some of you feel better if we waited until Day 3 to grab a lesser player?  Mike Hughes is a pretty damn good prospect AND he's an electric return man.  Even if he can't crack the starting lineup in his rookie season, he can step right in if we have an injury to one of our top 3.  He'll add some juice to our return game as well, which we didn't really have last season at KR.  His presence will be felt as a rookie.
I guess we could have grabbed the 4th or 5th best interior OL, but I don't think that would have the same type of impact that this pick could have not only this season, but in the future.  And hey, guess what???  Those OL are still available right now.  They Vikings could easily trade up to grab one or have a good chance one of them falls to us at 62.
Sky isn't falling...  Hughes wouldn't have made it to 62 and there is no guarantee we could get the same type of player later in the draft.  Some of these OL will still be on the board around our pick.  Thank God the draft is more than one round...

Lots of angst over this pick. Most of the media experts think it was a great pick, but most of you on this
board strongly dislike it. Based on all of the pre-draft buzz, I wasn't at all surprised that they took Hughes
when his character concerns dropped him to 30. Zimmer already said he will be our starting kick returner,
and will also challenge Sherrels for starting punt returner. If he can come in and contribute day 1 at nickle
or dime, that would be great value at that pick and a potential replacement for Waynes if they can't resign
him. Plus, we don't know what Rick will do today. Does he trade up and go after the starting OLineman they
want? 

Rick said when interviewed that they may move up or down in the second. They are looking for their guy, not for our guy.
Geoff had said from the get-go that CB could very well be our first pick. I don't know why this is coming as such a shock. It's a perception of those who think they know what is best but can't possibly know everything there is to know about our team, I guess. We all want an O-lineman. We'll still get one. I suspect it'll happen tonight. We may also get a TE tonight. Those are my guesses.
My initial disappointment in picking another CB high has waned pretty quickly. I trust the team to find who they think fits best over anything the armchair committee thinks.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
So much hand wringing over a pick...  it was pretty clear that the Vikings were going to take a CB at some point in the draft...  and likely within the first 3 rounds.  Would it have made some of you feel better if we waited until Day 3 to grab a lesser player?  Mike Hughes is a pretty damn good prospect AND he's an electric return man.  Even if he can't crack the starting lineup in his rookie season, he can step right in if we have an injury to one of our top 3.  He'll add some juice to our return game as well, which we didn't really have last season at KR.  His presence will be felt as a rookie.
I guess we could have grabbed the 4th or 5th best interior OL, but I don't think that would have the same type of impact that this pick could have not only this season, but in the future.  And hey, guess what???  Those OL are still available right now.  They Vikings could easily trade up to grab one or have a good chance one of them falls to us at 62.
Sky isn't falling...  Hughes wouldn't have made it to 62 and there is no guarantee we could get the same type of player later in the draft.  Some of these OL will still be on the board around our pick.  Thank God the draft is more than one round...
Well said my friend!

Before the draft, most of everyone I know (personal life and this board) talked about O-line, DT & CB were top needs for the team. Now we get a playmaker at one of those positions but I hear so much talk of sour milk? Yes, I feel like a lineman is our biggest need. Hey, there are still good ones available who will help our team & we will probably grab a couple of them. I don't like the CB depth as much.

My angst isn't so much about takING a CB at 30,  it's taking a short CB that high.  Recievers seen to get bigger ad taller every year,  I hate watching jump balls over top of defenders. 

Quote: @TBro said:
@Poiple said:
Surprising how many think a nickle or dime corner is more important than a starting O lineman.  Well apparently some of the pros agree with them.  

I hate watching adults learn costly lessons the hard way.  I hope they have a better reason than we thought it was the better fit because thats just blowing smoke.
I wouldn't say more important. A 3rd or 4th corner in this scheme sees a lot of playing time, especially in crucial passing situations. The Vikings Nickle and Dime corners are more important than the 3rd LB position that Gedeon plays in my opinion. After Wynn and Price were gone, they probably didn't like what was left enough to draft them at 30 since they tried to trade down. I think they were just following their draft board and took the highest rated player at the 5 positions Spielman said they would consider with the 1st pick. 
I don't know nearly enough to say whether or not I like the pick, but unless they'd picked a punter or something, I trust Zimmer and Spielman for the reason I bolded.

In today's passing offense, you can't stress the importance of a deep secondary enough. If Rhodes blows a knee out, this first round pick suddenly becomes a major player in our defense and we're still possibly contenders. If we lose Rhodes or Waynes, our secondary becomse a major liability without this guy.

Fun pick? No. But a pick I think we needed.

And to everybody that says we're neglecting the O-line... it's just the first round. Kahlil was a first rounder and he's dog shit. I'm sure there are plenty of guys available in rounds 2-4 who can come in and start day one and upgrade our line significantly.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
My angst isn't so much about takING a CB at 30,  it's taking a short CB that high.  Recievers seen to get bigger ad taller every year,  I hate watching jump balls over top of defenders. 
A short and inexperinced CB.  The only thing BIG about Hughes is the questions about his CHARACTER issues.