Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NFLDG Mock 4.0 (The Finale)
1 (30) - In the end the Vikings decision to stay put at pick 30 will come down to how early the run on interior O-lineman begins in the late teens/twenties. My feeling is that unless the Vikings intend to trade up they likely will be on the back end of that run. Instead they could look at cornerback but I believe they’ll be more selective at that position and would really discuss trading down at that point. In this scenario the Vikings move back with the Colts who are interested in the running backs for picks 2(36) and high 4th round selection 4(104). 

2 (36) via IND - Austin Corbett (OT/OG Nevada): If the Vikings trade back they will have their choice of the second tier lineman. Corbett really fits the bill for what the Vikings want on the field and in the locker room. As a player Corbett does not have experience on the interior O-line but projects inside. As a former wrestler he understands the leverage game and has the mean streak to finish defensive lineman and put them on the ground. He also has enough foot speed to work well in space. The Vikings have shown that flexibility is added value for them and they could decide to try him at RT before moving him inside which may be worth a shot. In the locker room nothing has been given to Corbett earning his snaps at Nevada as a freshman walk-on. 

2 (62) - Donte Jackson (CB LSU): As the draft process has unfolded it is becoming apparent the Vikings want to draft a CB high in this years draft class. At this point the team needs depth behind their starting three and also need to hedge against Trae Waynes becoming overly expensive. Donte Jackson oozes athleticism and has the quick twitch gene to play sticky coverage. He is likely a slot corner in the league but has shown the flexibility to play on the outside if needed. Although he is lean and will need to add weight to become more effective in the run game, he is a willing tackler. When the ball is in the air he has the mentality that if he isn’t going to catch it, nobody is. Although he isn’t a finished product he could compete for snaps from day one and has a lot of upside to his game that can be realized with the coaching staff the Vikings provide. 

3 (84) via LAC - Uchenna Nwosu (DE/LB USC): The final six quarters of the season were a mess due to a disappearing pass rush, poor o-line play, and the secondary getting exposed. The Vikings FO attempt to rectify the third piece of the puzzle with Nwosu. To assure they can draft him they move up 10 picks in the 3rd round using their 5th round pick. The Vikings were on hand for USC’s pro-day to look at Nwosu and he fits the profile the Vikings look for in their edge rushers (length, explosiveness, speed). If it weren’t for questions on his play strength Nwosu likely would hear his name called much earlier. At USC Nwosu was in the backfield time and time again and also has a unique ability to get into passing lanes to tip passes. He does this with a quick jump off the snap and explosiveness to get himself around the edge. Initially he likely isn’t a 3-down player since he tends to get washed out against the run. But with an NFL conditioning program that shouldn’t be a long-term concern. Putting him in the pass rushing rotation behind Everson and Danielle makes the Vikings D-line one of the deepest and most talented in the league. 

3 (94) - Traded along with 5 (167) for 3 (84) 

4 (104) via IND - Nyheim Hines (RB N.C. State): I still hold that the loss of Jerrick McKinnon will be more meaningful than most fans believe. Just having an explosive change of pace back that can make plays in the passing game force defensive coordinators to gameplan a bit more. Hines brings that ability to create plays in the passing game the RB room currently lacks. In addition Hines is an explosive and talented return man. Although many may classify Hines as more of a track star than running back he should have no issue displaying his big play ability immediately. Without a designated kick returner on the roster he should win that competition with relative ease. His unique skills in the passing game will hopefully force John Defilippo to find ways to get him on the field sooner than later. 

5 (167) - Traded along with 3 (94) for 3 (84) 

6 (204) - Tony Adams (OG N.C. State): The Vikings like drafting players out of the ACC so it wouldn't be a major shock if they sourced back to back picks out of N.C. State. Adams is a pure interior lineman who plays with power but lacks the length to truly exert himself. On film he is solid in both pass protection and in the run game. On the ground he has enough athleticism to get out on pulls and uses his athleticism on the inside to find work. He isn’t a day one starter but later in the draft you can find O-lineman who are good in almost every area but lack a unique trait. It wouldn’t be a complete surprise to see Adams develop into a starter in a year or two. 

6 (213) - Kendrick Norton (DT Miami): Depending on how the draft ends up falling the Vikings would be in the market for a more well-rounded interior D-lineman but the value has to be there. At worst, Kendrick Norton provides value as a 2-down run stuffer who can get on the field as a late round draft pick. Although he doesn’t have much pass rushing ability and doesn’t display the traits to evolve in that area, he knows how to get into the backfield and stop plays before they begin. He would slide in behind Linval Joseph playing opposite of blue chip FA Sheldon Richardson and the developing Jaleel Johnson. 

6 (218) - Tyler Conklin (TE Central Michigan): Similar to DT the Vikings could easily look at TE’s earlier in the draft if the value presents itself. But with the need being a joker TE it does limit your options both early and late. If the Vikings end up selecting a TE in the latter portion of the draft Conklin deserves consideration. Although his 2017 was mostly lost due to a foot injury, he showed NFL potential as a TE in 2016. There are some question on the type of TE Conklin becomes in the NFL, but he showed the ability to make plays with the ball in his hands and displays good tracking skills with the ball in the air. Developing him as an outside TE who can go up and rebound the ball away from smaller DB’s and LB’s makes the most sense in my opinion. 

7 (225) - Jordan Lasley (WR UCLA): Although the Vikings have historically been very careful about who they bring into their locker room, they’ve taken more risks on talented players in more recent years. Part of this is a testament to the locker room currently in place, they think they have the leaders to straighten out these kids. But also because when you’re so close hitting on a late round HR can change the outcome of a season. Jordan Lasley is a talented outside receiver and should make an NFL roster out of camp if he can keep his head on straight. He has a good mix of speed and change of direction skills to get seperation on the boundary both at the LOS and down the field. The issue is that he has had multiple drinking issues during his time in LA. 

We'll have disappointed fans if we have to wait till tomorrow but if the board falls like you're suggesting and we end up with second tier OL or CBs we might just as well have several stabs at it hoping one or two hit.

Thank you so much for all you contribute on this site and to us Viking junkies who actually give a darn about football in March and April.  You're insights on pretty much everything Viking related is top notch!!

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
1 (30) - In the end the Vikings decision to stay put at pick 30 will come down to how early the run on interior O-lineman begins in the late teens/twenties. My feeling is that unless the Vikings intend to trade up they likely will be on the back end of that run. Instead they could look at cornerback but I believe they’ll be more selective at that position and would really discuss trading down at that point. In this scenario the Vikings move back with the Colts who are interested in the running backs for picks 2(36) and high 4th round selection 4(104). 

2 (36) via IND - Austin Corbett (OT/OG Nevada): If the Vikings trade back they will have their choice of the second tier lineman. Corbett really fits the bill for what the Vikings want on the field and in the locker room. As a player Corbett does not have experience on the interior O-line but projects inside. As a former wrestler he understands the leverage game and has the mean streak to finish defensive lineman and put them on the ground. He also has enough foot speed to work well in space. The Vikings have shown that flexibility is added value for them and they could decide to try him at RT before moving him inside which may be worth a shot. In the locker room nothing has been given to Corbett earning his snaps at Nevada as a freshman walk-on. 

2 (62) - Donte Jackson (CB LSU): As the draft process has unfolded it is becoming apparent the Vikings want to draft a CB high in this years draft class. At this point the team needs depth behind their starting three and also need to hedge against Trae Waynes becoming overly expensive. Donte Jackson oozes athleticism and has the quick twitch gene to play sticky coverage. He is likely a slot corner in the league but has shown the flexibility to play on the outside if needed. Although he is lean and will need to add weight to become more effective in the run game, he is a willing tackler. When the ball is in the air he has the mentality that if he isn’t going to catch it, nobody is. Although he isn’t a finished product he could compete for snaps from day one and has a lot of upside to his game that can be realized with the coaching staff the Vikings provide. 

3 (84) via LAC - Uchenna Nwosu (DE/LB USC): The final six quarters of the season were a mess due to a disappearing pass rush, poor o-line play, and the secondary getting exposed. The Vikings FO attempt to rectify the third piece of the puzzle with Nwosu. To assure they can draft him they move up 10 picks in the 3rd round using their 5th round pick. The Vikings were on hand for USC’s pro-day to look at Nwosu and he fits the profile the Vikings look for in their edge rushers (length, explosiveness, speed). If it weren’t for questions on his play strength Nwosu likely would hear his name called much earlier. At USC Nwosu was in the backfield time and time again and also has a unique ability to get into passing lanes to tip passes. He does this with a quick jump off the snap and explosiveness to get himself around the edge. Initially he likely isn’t a 3-down player since he tends to get washed out against the run. But with an NFL conditioning program that shouldn’t be a long-term concern. Putting him in the pass rushing rotation behind Everson and Danielle makes the Vikings D-line one of the deepest and most talented in the league. 

3 (94) - Traded along with 5 (167) for 3 (84) 

4 (104) via IND - Nyheim Hines (RB N.C. State): I still hold that the loss of Jerrick McKinnon will be more meaningful than most fans believe. Just having an explosive change of pace back that can make plays in the passing game force defensive coordinators to gameplan a bit more. Hines brings that ability to create plays in the passing game the RB room currently lacks. In addition Hines is an explosive and talented return man. Although many may classify Hines as more of a track star than running back he should have no issue displaying his big play ability immediately. Without a designated kick returner on the roster he should win that competition with relative ease. His unique skills in the passing game will hopefully force John Defilippo to find ways to get him on the field sooner than later. 

5 (167) - Traded along with 3 (94) for 3 (84) 

6 (204) - Tony Adams (OG N.C. State): The Vikings like drafting players out of the ACC so it wouldn't be a major shock if they sourced back to back picks out of N.C. State. Adams is a pure interior lineman who plays with power but lacks the length to truly exert himself. On film he is solid in both pass protection and in the run game. On the ground he has enough athleticism to get out on pulls and uses his athleticism on the inside to find work. He isn’t a day one starter but later in the draft you can find O-lineman who are good in almost every area but lack a unique trait. It wouldn’t be a complete surprise to see Adams develop into a starter in a year or two. 

6 (213) - Kendrick Norton (DT Miami): Depending on how the draft ends up falling the Vikings would be in the market for a more well-rounded interior D-lineman but the value has to be there. At worst, Kendrick Norton provides value as a 2-down run stuffer who can get on the field as a late round draft pick. Although he doesn’t have much pass rushing ability and doesn’t display the traits to evolve in that area, he knows how to get into the backfield and stop plays before they begin. He would slide in behind Linval Joseph playing opposite of blue chip FA Sheldon Richardson and the developing Jaleel Johnson. 

6 (218) - Tyler Conklin (TE Central Michigan): Similar to DT the Vikings could easily look at TE’s earlier in the draft if the value presents itself. But with the need being a joker TE it does limit your options both early and late. If the Vikings end up selecting a TE in the latter portion of the draft Conklin deserves consideration. Although his 2017 was mostly lost due to a foot injury, he showed NFL potential as a TE in 2016. There are some question on the type of TE Conklin becomes in the NFL, but he showed the ability to make plays with the ball in his hands and displays good tracking skills with the ball in the air. Developing him as an outside TE who can go up and rebound the ball away from smaller DB’s and LB’s makes the most sense in my opinion. 

7 (225) - Jordan Lasley (WR UCLA): Although the Vikings have historically been very careful about who they bring into their locker room, they’ve taken more risks on talented players in more recent years. Part of this is a testament to the locker room currently in place, they think they have the leaders to straighten out these kids. But also because when you’re so close hitting on a late round HR can change the outcome of a season. Jordan Lasley is a talented outside receiver and should make an NFL roster out of camp if he can keep his head on straight. He has a good mix of speed and change of direction skills to get seperation on the boundary both at the LOS and down the field. The issue is that he has had multiple drinking issues during his time in LA. 
So Geoff,

Who are the realistic players likely to be at 30, that if available, the Vikings would stay put and draft vs. moving down into the 2nd? 

My list that I would consider staying put for would include Hernandez, Williams, Wynn, Jaire Alexander, Hurst, Reid, Ragnow. I also like Goedert and Oliver although I think both can be had in the early 2nd. Any others you think I'm overlooking that they might have strong interest in at 30. 

Love Corbett in a trade down. Nwosu and Hines are great picks. Tony Adams is an intriguing player getting a lot of sleeper buzz right now. I have in my notes that he graded 98% with 48 knock down blocks and generated 6.5 yards per carry. I don't mind taking a corner early. I only have a problem if they take one first, in that area between 30 and 40 where there seems to be a lot of guards piled up. 

Quote: @TBro said:
So Geoff,

Who are the realistic players likely to be at 30, that if available, the Vikings would stay put and draft vs. moving down into the 2nd? 

My list that I would consider staying put for would include Hernandez, Williams, Wynn, Jaire Alexander, Hurst, Reid, Ragnow. I also like Goedert and Oliver although I think both can be had in the early 2nd. Any others you think I'm overlooking that they might have strong interest in at 30. 

For O-lineman I don't think they'd move out of Ragnow, Daniels, or Williams. Hernandez is a real maybe due to the length. I bet he is on the board but ranked lower due to it. I don't know where they ended up with Wynn since about 1/3 of teams red flagged his shoulder. 

At corner if the O-lineman go early I doubt they'd trade out of Jaire Alexander or Isaiah Oliver. Even in a slight reach the 5th year option value on a DB is worth the reach. Don't sleep on Ronnie Harrison or Justin Reid either. But for those two to come off the board at #30 the trade offer probably wasn't worth the drop. 

I would be really happy to add Corbett, less so with some of the rest of this draft. Drafting Donte Jackson means giving up on Alexander, and Nwosu is too similar to other "project" pass rushers the Vikings staff likes to collect but don't seem to develop.