Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
You think Richardson is one season and outta here?
Or will he have staying power? I suspect 1/2 of Viking fandom doesn't think this guy is going to be able to stick?

Not saying that's a wrong perspective, not after the nfl team parade he's already been on...

In terms of Xs and Os, he's perfect for this defense, so I think he's going to want to stay and I think the Vikings are going to want him back.  It makes a lot more sense that your 3T is the highest paid guy on your defense, rather than your 43 Sam. 

Whether we try to re-sign him or not is probably more about how he fits in the locker room, and that's something none of us can predict. Maybe the character of this team rubs off on him. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
In terms of Xs and Os, he's perfect for this defense, so I think he's going to want to stay and I think the Vikings are going to want him back.  It makes a lot more sense that your 3T is the highest paid guy on your defense, rather than your 43 Sam. 

Whether we try to re-sign him or not is probably more about how he fits in the locker room, and that's something none of us can predict. Maybe the character of this team rubs off on him. 

I agree with your outlook on this.   And I hope he resigns with the Vikings next year.

If he does well and likes it here, then yes, he could stay.  This is basically a one year try out to see how he does and fits in with the team.

I wouldn't assume its a one and done season. If he has a great 2018 the position value is so high for the Vikings scheme you could see them restructure deals and find a way to keep him. I don't think it would necessarily be at the expense of Barr though. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:

By all accounts, Anthony Barr is a great fit in the locker room. I'm so surprised how people are de-valuing Barr. Yes, LBs are not as glamorous (translation=lots of stats) in a 4-3 as they are in a 3-4, but it doesn't mean they are not vital. The Vikings' defense only uses 2 LBs the bulk of the time - but those 2 need to be damn good, and both smart and athletic enough to play all over the field. We have 2 of them, but almost nothing beyond Kendricks and Barr, so we better keep them.
As far as Richardson, I'm excited about his potential and to have a potentially dominant 3T here. But I fear he did a 1-year deal because he wants to hit free agency again next year, after Aaron Donald gets his new deal and pushes the market and/or franchise number a lot higher.

interesting little story I will add here since we are on the 3T.  I was visiting with a kid who grew up near Reiff,  played against him in HS,  works with and knows the family quite well.  He thinks the reason the Vikes werent interested in Suh may have to do with the fact that Riley and donkeykong actually dont like each other... at all.  I vaguely remembered hearing about this a few years back,  but apparently suh is not a well liked guy in the locker room,  anyway things boiled over in practice and Riley ended up kicking the shit out of Suh.  Now the Lions fined both players,  but Rileys fine was paid by his teammates.  so perhaps although this wasnt likely a determining factor,  it might be a reason why the team was not interested in waiting for Suh to come available to kick those tires... the dude is a turd.  

completely off topic,  but I thought it was an interesting bit to share.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
interesting little story I will add here since we are on the 3T.  I was visiting with a kid who grew up near Reiff,  played against him in HS,  works with and knows the family quite well.  He thinks the reason the Vikes werent interested in Suh may have to do with the fact that Riley and donkeykong actually dont like each other... at all.  I vaguely remembered hearing about this a few years back,  but apparently suh is not a well liked guy in the locker room,  anyway things boiled over in practice and Riley ended up kicking the shit out of Suh.  Now the Lions fined both players,  but Rileys fine was paid by his teammates.  so perhaps although this wasnt likely a determining factor,  it might be a reason why the team was not interested in waiting for Suh to come available to kick those tires... the dude is a turd.  

completely off topic,  but I thought it was an interesting bit to share.

Not necessarily completely off topic.  Thanks for posting.  Now we "know the rest of the story".
I love hearing these kinds of inside info.

Comes down to chemistry and cash if he is playing at an elite  level.  How well does he play within the system?  Eat up blocks and create the holes for his LBs.  Also is he consistently pushing in the pocket when asked to push nit up a notch

Until I see how he plays for/with the Vikings, it's impossible for me to even guess.