Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Should the Vikings trade Anthony Barr?
I must have imagined that even with the record setting superstar contract we gave our average new QB that we would have no problem resigning Barr, Hunter, Kendricks AND Diggs

So is there a problem or are we playing the what if game?

I think that Barr has a pretty unique skillset and is a key part of what makes Zimmer's defense work. I agree that I wish he was more effective as a pass rusher, but it's hard to find 6'5 linebackers who can line up over the A gap, blitz, drop back into coverage, and break up plays on the edge. We've tried developing late round guys with similar tools and none of them have panned out, so I'd be careful about moving on from him, unless the front office really thinks they can find an adequate replacement. His chemistry with Kendricks is a really nice bonus too.

Quote: @Tyr said:
I think that Barr has a pretty unique skillset and is a key part of what makes Zimmer's defense work. I agree that I wish he was more effective as a pass rusher, but it's hard to find 6'5 linebackers who can line up over the A gap, blitz, drop back into coverage, and break up plays on the edge. We've tried developing late round guys with similar tools and none of them have panned out, so I'd be careful about moving on from him, unless the front office really thinks they can find an adequate replacement. His chemistry with Kendricks is a really nice bonus too.
Amen...

Some interesting takes in this thread, I just have a feeling Barr's best years are still ahead of him. I'm with Wetlander -- I think the Vikings have a plan and intent to keep the Big 4 (now Big, remaining 3). 

i think more than other sports, football depends on chemistry.  its very risky to trade, draft, cut or whatever players and expect to plug in a bunch of players like they they are just part of a big fantasy game.  these guys have trained together, played together, come up just a little short together, they know each other and by all reports like each other.  idmthink twice about wholesale changes.

I’d also love to here Pops on this issue.  Pops, if you’re out there— what do you think about a Barr trade?

No we should not trade Barr

Quote: @Norseman said:
I doubt anybody will give us much for Barr without him first agreeing to an extension with the new team.  If he refuses to sign a reasonable extension with us, I can't really see him doing the same with a suitor.  Possible exception would be if one of the teams with a lot of cap space are willing to overpay him, plus pay us a second or third round pick.  San Francisco might be a player, due to their recent character challenges.  A plug in replacement like Barr, who is also young and high character, might be very appealing to them.  They have two picks near the top of round three, so you never know.
i think you make great sense here.  i could see this with SF need and Barr is from Cali i think.   2 issues though. First, the draft is shaping up to have edmunds sitting there at their pick.  Second, my view of Barrs weakness is that he doesnt play the way John Lynch played.  That dude would straight blow a guy up.  i dont know what d they run in SFO, but i think Barr would be best suited as an edge rushing in a 3-4

I have been thinking for a number of days the Vikes would trade Barr for a second.  Here is the one question that needs to be answered -- will Barr continue to improve (or maintain a high level of performance) once he gets paid?  Does he love the game.  I think there is a real question (or two) there that must be answered.  I would lean towards trading him if i could get a second; trade would need to go down right about when the Vikes pick in the first round.

Do we have his replacement--no----keep him and build for the future.  Or we could keep rolling the dice and hoping the next one will be an instant probowlerWink

Quote: @VikingOracle said:
I have been thinking for a number of days the Vikes would trade Barr for a second.  Here is the one question that needs to be answered -- will Barr continue to improve (or maintain a high level of performance) once he gets paid?  Does he love the game.  I think there is a real question (or two) there that must be answered.  I would lean towards trading him if i could get a second; trade would need to go down right about when the Vikes pick in the first round.
I'm surprised how frequently fans comment on players' internal motivations, attitudes, how they get along with teammates (or not), whether they are leaders, whether they love the game. etc. These have been key discussion items around Ponder, Bridgewater, Bradford, Keenum, Cordarelle Patterson, Mike Wallace, Matt Kalil, many others, now Anthony Barr.
Isn't it presumptious to think any of us know the character, motivation, and relationships of others based on what amounts to seeing them for a matter of minutes each week, on television? Usually, if a player acts like he's at his first keg party after a big play, fans think he loves the game, has great heart, fires up his teammates, etc...but if he dares to give the appearance he's THINKING about something during a game, that boy just might not love football enough!
Show me a quote from a coach or a teammate of Barr's saying he doesn't love football. I have never heard one. What I have heard, is that he plays a complex role in Zimmer's defense and his contributions are not likely to show up in traditional stats. He had an off year in 2016 - when he was injured and the entire team was playing inconsistently.