Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings interest in Goedert at #30 is "genuine"
[Image: 138246.jpg]
Vikings beat writer Darren Wolfson believes the team's interest in South Dakota State TE is "genuine."
At pick No. 30, if the Vikings want Goedert they will have to select him with their first pick. Trading out of the first round is absolutely possible. The Vikings have Kyle Rudolph on the roster, as well as a tremendous duo of Adam Thielen and Stefon Diggs, but Goedert is a star in the redzone.

They've done a lot of work on him the past few weeks. I didn't put him in my Mock 2.0 as a coincidence. I don't think they'd take him at #30 though if Connor Williams or Jaire Alexander are still on the board. 

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
They've done a lot of work on him the past few weeks. I didn't put him in my Mock 2.0 as a coincidence. I don't think they'd take him at #30 though if Connor Williams or Jaire Alexander are still on the board. 
I have a hard time seeing this one, for reasons I've mentioned before. Just hard to see him having much of an impact early on. Same with corner. How many 1st rounders can one secondary bear? 

Then you consider that our clear and present need is on the OL, and the fact that so much of our money and hopes are invested in the two guys who will line up behind it (cousins and cook), and the fact that we really need to fully transition this line to a ZBS, and the fact that Williams, McGlinchey, Miller, Ragnow, Price, Wynn and Hernandez all seem to represent good fits and good value in the 25 to 35 range....I have to wonder if the TE and CB interest isn't just a smokescreen. 

Quote: @MaroonBells said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
I have a hard time seeing this one, for reasons I've mentioned before. Just hard to see him having much of an impact early on. Same with corner. How many 1st rounders can one secondary bear? 

Then you consider that our clear and present need is on the OL, and the fact that so much of our money and hopes are invested in the two guys who will line up behind it (cousins and cook), and the fact that we really need to fully transition this line to a ZBS, and the fact that Williams, McGlinchey, Miller, Ragnow, Price, Wynn and Hernandez all seem to represent good fits and good value in the 25 to 35 range....I have to wonder if the TE and CB interest isn't just a smokescreen. 

With Rudolph, Morgan and Bell, another TE isn't a pressing need in the first 2 rounds.  Depth at CB probably in the 2nd or 3rd round.

If Rudolph throws a shoe Week 1 and is gone for the season who gets his targets? Morgan?  Um, no. You don't rely on a blocking-first TE to be that guy.

And let's not forget that BOTH Cousins and Flipper like to have 2 legit Pass Catching TEs.

Yes, Morgan caught a couple of passes last year. So what. That's not even remotely projectible.

Philly used multiple pass threat TE looks against Minnesota a bunch last year. Don't be surprised if Flipper is pounding the table to get the same thing.

@"Geoff Nichols" said:

Look at how Spielman drafts and I don't think its a smokescreen. He drafts by tier which isn't always indicative of the actual BPA.

So when the Vikings say they took the BPA its within a particular position group rather than board as a whole. For example if they're looking at CB, TE's, and OL and they all have identical grades of 7.0 need will not dictate the pick, contrary to what most believe. They'll look at the board as a whole and project who'll be available at their second pick. to continue the example say they have grades on those players of CB - 5.0, TE - 6.0, OL - 6.5.

The gap between the round 1 and round 2 corner is the greatest at -2 so they'd take the corner in round one. If the TE and O-Line talent start to dry up before your next pick, that's where you start to consider moving up. It's exactly the approach they took with Dalvin Cook and Pat Elflein. This methodology is how you build a deep roster while still filling needs. The flaw is that you'll miss out on some potential pro-bowlers since you may not always take BPA. But the chances of hitting on picks in rounds 1-3 is greatly increased. 

I get it...  historically rookie TEs don't make a big splash.  Rob Gronkowski, Travis Kelce, Jimmy Graham, Greg Olsen, etc. didn't really break out until their 2nd or sometimes 3rd years.  However, Goedert could still provide value to the offense in his rookie year by being another mismatch on the field and making the occasional big play.  The real value will likely be in 2019 when Rudolph is entering his age 30 season with a 7.6 million cap hit and no dead money...
Let's face it... outside of RG (or RT depending on where you think Remmers fits) this team doesn't have any holes.  The Vikings can approach this draft looking to the future by just grabbing the best available players.  I think the draft is deep enough with interior OL that we could wait until our 2nd round pick and get a pretty damn good player to address that spot.  Typically C/OG don't go in the first round unless they are studs.  Most of the C/OGs you listed will go on Day 2.  Happens every year.  Cody Whitehair, Pat Elflein, Ethan Pocic, etc. were all talked up as potential 1st round picks and they all went late 2nd/early 3rd round when the actual draft rolled around.
If there isn't a stud OT prospect that falls to 30, I would argue that adding a guy like Goedert would be a great pick.  It would protect us a bit too if Diggs can't be re-signed.  I just don't want the Vikings to be reaching for a need at #30.

Quote: @FSUVike said:
If Rudolph throws a shoe Week 1 and is gone for the season who gets his targets? Morgan?  Um, no. You don't rely on a blocking-first TE to be that guy.

And let's not forget that BOTH Cousins and Flipper like to have 2 legit Pass Catching TEs.

Yes, Morgan caught a couple of passes last year. So what. That's not even remotely projectible.

Philly used multiple pass threat TE looks against Minnesota a bunch last year. Don't be surprised if Flipper is pounding the table to get the same thing.
I didn't say don't draft one. I said don't draft one in the first round. The guy I like is Chris Herndon from Miami and you can probably get him in the 4th round. Gronk was a 2nd, Kelce a 3rd. Reed a 3rd. 

@FSUVike said:

I didn't say don't draft one. I said don't draft one in the first round. The guy I like is Chris Herndon from Miami and you can probably get him in the 4th round. Gronk was a 2nd, Kelce a 3rd. Reed a 3rd. 
And one more thing, I'm not a huge fan of Goedert. I'm not even sure he's the best TE in the draft. I think he's a little overrated as a 1st rounder. He's got great hands, but this isn't a mismatch deep threat in the way of Gronk or Reed or Kelce IMO. The guy he's compared to most often is Jason Witten, which is great, but even Witten was a 3rd rounder. 

Lots of good point made above. For me, the two biggest needs are OL and CB. Assuming there is a close call at 30, I would do exactly what Geoff said of RS: look at what we will have to choose from when we pick in the second. 
That said, Goedert and Mo Hurst are pretty tough to pass on, especially Hurst. I'm not sure the dropoff between Goedert and the group behind him is all that great. If he had played in a major conference, it may be a different story. But there is that level of uncertainty with him. The dropoff between Hurst and Taven Bryan is pretty severe.
But taking Hurst or Goedert would likely mean CB in the second and no OL until the third. That may be OK.