Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
It's Confirmed - GM Rick Spielman Returning to VikeFans
OK, so what do we expect to hear from Spielman? Does anyone really think he will reveal anything that is not already either obvious or public information? I assume he will talk about how excited they are about the players they drafted and a couple of the players they signed immediately after the draft. He will say that last season did not end the way they wanted but they are really looking forward to this season with Cousins at QB.  I guess I really can't get to excited about it since we all know he is not going to share any inside info . . . and nobody would expect him to.  

Quote: @dadevike said:
OK, so what do we expect to hear from Spielman? Does anyone really think he will reveal anything that is not already either obvious or public information? I assume he will talk about how excited they are about the players they drafted and a couple of the players they signed immediately after the draft. He will say that last season did not end the way they wanted but they are really looking forward to this season with Cousins at QB.  I guess I really can't get to excited about it since we all know he is not going to share any inside info . . . and nobody would expect him to.  
While this is probably true, I guess for myself I enjoy just listening to Rick talk about the process and how the draft fell from the team's point of view. I don't think he needs to reveal anything considered insider info per se...and well, honestly he does sometimes reveal some things of interest that I guess I would consider insider info. For instance, last year he talked about how he personally called Dalvin Cook and talked to him for 45 minutes before we picked him. Those are small tidbits but I guess I enjoy hearing about them *shrugs*

Quote: @prairieghost said:
@dadevike said:
While this is probably true, I guess for myself I enjoy just listening to Rick talk about the process and how the draft fell from the team's point of view. I don't think he needs to reveal anything considered insider info per se...and well, honestly he does sometimes reveal some things of interest that I guess I would consider insider info. For instance, last year he talked about how he personally called Dalvin Cook and talked to him for 45 minutes before we picked him. Those are small tidbits but I guess I enjoy hearing about them *shrugs*
I am lamenting more than anything else. Don't get me wrong, if there is even a possibility of Vikings scraps, I'm tuning in.  But I do have a preference for listening to Zimmer. He seems like such a straight shooter, not quite as polished as Rick. Zimmer is not going to disclose any state secrets, either, but at least he will sometimes say things you just won't get from anyone else.  Like when talking about AD a couple of years ago when Dogra was trying to get the Vikings to release him and Zimmer talked about how being under contract means you have to do certain things, and that AD would play for the Vikings that season or not at all.  Or saying that Treadwell is a hard worker but directs his energy in the wrong direction - like running stairs at night and being tired for the next day's practice. 
I have not seen that kind of frank talk from Spielman.

@prairieghost said:
@dadevike said:
I am lamenting more than anything else. Don't get me wrong, if there is even a possibility of Vikings scraps, I'm tuning in.  But I do have a preference for listening to Zimmer. He seems like such a straight shooter, not quite as polished as Rick. Zimmer is not going to disclose any state secrets, either, but at least he will sometimes say things you just won't get from anyone else.  Like when talking about AD a couple of years ago when Dogra was trying to get the Vikings to release him and Zimmer talked about how being under contract means you have to do certain things, and that AD would play for the Vikings that season or not at all.  Or saying that Treadwell is a hard worker but directs his energy in the wrong direction - like running stairs at night and being tired for the next day's practice. 

Agreed, and I definitely loved hearing Zim say that AD would play for the Minnesota Vikings or not play at all. Big Grin

@prairieghost said:
@dadevike said:

Dade - have you heard our last 4 interviews with Rick?  He does drop his guard with us.  He won't tell us secrets, but he reveals more than you expect.

As for Zimmer, we simply can't get him for a 1-on-1.  Why?  He doesn't love doing press stuff, and us getting an exclusive would be unfair to the other full-time media.  We have never even asked.  We could get the O-Coordinator.  Starting QBs are off limits too, unless a pooled interview of a national media event.  Just the way things work across the NFL.

At the Pro Bowl, I had full access to Drew Brees (much more humble than you'd expect), Jared Goff (once guy) and Russell Wilson.  But, that is a much more relaxed atmosphere.

when do we hear this interview?  I like last years.  Lots of good questions and Rick was open to them.

I’d like to say to Rick;
 It was an incredible and brave decision to let the QB who had just taken you to the NFCCG go and then make a record breaking, first of its kind deal for a QB who hasn’t garnered a lot of accolades or accomplishments, yet.  How do you sleep at night?  Thanks for keeping life interesting. lol