Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Vikings and RS learning from past mistakes...
Rick Spielman has been with the Vikings since 2006, serving first as the vice president of player personnel and second, since the start of 2012, as the general manager. Others certainly have had input on personnel matters during the Spielman era, but he’s been a consistent decisionmaker for this franchise for a dozen years.
Those have hardly been perfect years. They’ve been filled with notable hits and misses — with the misses often coming at the most important position on the field, quarterback.
But say this for Spielman and the Vikings: Recent weeks have offered pretty consistent evidence on a few fronts that they are trying to learn from past mistakes.
• The Vikings have gone to the NFC title game twice since Spielman’s arrival: in 2009 and last season. From 2009 to 2010, the Vikings took the easy route with their roster, which might have seemed like the right thing but proved to be a disaster.
They retained all 22 starters — every single player from offense and defense — between the two seasons, banking on the idea that a veteran group that had come up just short of a Super Bowl berth in an overtime loss to New Orleans could duplicate the magic. The result? Their win total went from 12 to six, Brad Childress was fired and a rebuild began.
This offseason, they could have played it safe and assumed continuity would ensure duplication of success. The Vikings could have elevated Kevin Stefanski to offensive coordinator after Pat Shurmur left, and they could have brought back Case Keenum as the starting quarterback. They also could have decided veteran Tom Johnson was good enough as an interior lineman and sought to keep him.
Instead, they went outside the organization to hire an OC (John DeFilippo), spent big on Kirk Cousins and took a shot at an upgrade over Johnson with Sheldon Richardson. There are no guarantees these moves will pay off, but the idea of moving forward instead of standing still is a sound one.
• Though the Vikings have won 32 games the past three regular seasons with an extremely unsettled QB situation, it’s a hard way to achieve long-term franchise success. Travel back to 2013 — when the Vikings were so desperate for a franchise quarterback that they signed Josh Freeman midyear and immediately put him into a game — and you see just how bad it can be.
Spielman and Co. bought themselves the best chance of both success and stability by signing Cousins and eschewing the relatively unproven Keenum and the injury risks of Teddy Bridgewater and Sam Bradford.
• The 2012 Vikings made the playoffs thanks to Adrian Peterson’s amazing year and at least the calm offered by Christian Ponder starting all 16 regular-season games. But backup Joe Webb was thrust into duty for the postseason, and the results were not pretty.
The 2016 Vikings had to trade for Sam Bradford when they decided Shaun Hill wasn’t good enough to fill in after Bridgewater was hurt.
The Vikings this offseason acquired Trevor Siemian in a trade with the Broncos. So now they have a clear No. 1 in Cousins, a developing but experienced young backup in Siemian and a developmental QB in Kyle Sloter.
After years of fumbling around thanks to some poor decisions and even poorer luck, the Vikings and Spielman just might have figured things out.
http://www.startribune.com/vikings-and-g...477232213/

Fingers crossed. Siemian just turned 26 years old a few months ago, Sloter 24 a month ago. Good backup depth and a nice developmental prospect. Cousins could be in Minnesota 5-6 years for sure. 

Its about as solid as I've seen in some time. 

Been a fan waaaay too long to believe before I SEE. 

The "dream team" approach usually fails, and the Vikings, historically, have ALWAYS failed. We'll have to wait until late January 2019 to see for sure.

Being in the Mid-Atlantic area, I have seen numerous Cousins/Redskins games the past 3-4 years. Can't say that I have been overly impressed, but then, I lack the seer-like ability that many posters here obviously possess, to accurately predict Kirk's 2018 performance with this juggernaut Vikings offense. Time will tell. I'd be happy to eat my fair share of crow once KC is hoisting the Lombardi. But Cousins, in the 20 or so games in which I've seen him, has been what his record SAYS he's been...Average.

And in regards to "learning from your mistakes"? Isn't that a lesson learned EARLY in one's career? Spielman has been in scouting/personnel for what, 25-30 YEARS??!! Yikes!! How many mistakes can ya make? And how many lesson's from said mistakes is tolerable?

Are we gonna read an article 5 years from now, "Spielman learns from making .500 QB highest paid NFL player ever"?  I truly HOPE I'm not going to see that, but if the Vikings don't at least MAKE a Super Bowl by 2020, then this so-called "most talented roster" will have proven to be one of the most over rated teams of all time.

Just fucking win Playoff Games, Ricky. Fans do not give a rat's ass about how many Pro Bowlers or Starters you draft.

WIN PLAYOFF GAMES.....CONSISTENTLY.

Simple

On paper I'd say the Eagles are the most talented team in the NFC, not the Vikings

Dont see this as all chips-in by RS. Talented roster, built over time. Far from 09 & Bert

The hope for KC is how he does here, this system, this running game, this defense and WR's

All we can ask as fans is for the owenership and front office to give us a real chance over time @ a SB WIN. As a fan for 40+ years I'd say they've done that now. 

Quote: @njvike said:

The "dream team" approach usually fails, and the Vikings, historically, have ALWAYS failed. We'll have to wait until late January 2019 to see for sure.

Being in the Mid-Atlantic area, I have seen numerous Cousins/Redskins games the past 3-4 years. Can't say that I have been overly impressed, but then, I lack the seer-like ability that many posters here obviously possess, to accurately predict Kirk's 2018 performance with this juggernaut Vikings offense. Time will tell. I'd be happy to eat my fair share of crow once KC is hoisting the Lombardi. But Cousins, in the 20 or so games in which I've seen him, has been what his record SAYS he's been...Average.

And in regards to "learning from your mistakes"? Isn't that a lesson learned EARLY in one's career? Spielman has been in scouting/personnel for what, 25-30 YEARS??!! Yikes!! How many mistakes can ya make? And how many lesson's from said mistakes is tolerable?

Are we gonna read an article 5 years from now, "Spielman learns from making .500 QB highest paid NFL player ever"?  I truly HOPE I'm not going to see that, but if the Vikings don't at least MAKE a Super Bowl by 2020, then this so-called "most talented roster" will have proven to be one of the most over rated teams of all time.

Just fucking win Playoff Games, Ricky. Fans do not give a rat's ass about how many Pro Bowlers or Starters you draft.

Simple

Actually, when we're evaluating the GM... we FANS do care how many starters and Pro Bowlers he is able to attain for the team.  See, the GM doesn't COACH the team.  His job is to obtain PLAYERS.  And if he is obtaining good players, then he has done his job.  If we have a team stocked with draft picks who start and players that attend the Pro-Bowl every year, I wouldn't blame the GM if we're not winning playoff games consistently (whatever that means).  I'd blame the coach.

But, then again, I don't have a personal axe to grind against RS...

Pretty happy with the off season and direction the team has been moving the last few years.  Agree with the article about learning from mistakes.  One thing I kind of like is they are going a "Viking" way, not trying to be a "me too" organization.  It's all a matter of degree, the FO and ownership isn't dogmatic in it's approach, they seem to be looking to get max value for what the situation is at hand.  The KC contract with the guarantee amount seems radical now, but will look pretty normal in the near future, so they are on the leading edge of that curve, not following it.  Crap happens, but they move on, three fan favorable qb's, move on in one season with little drama, never would have predicted that. 

I don't have that desperate optimism,  of just one thing needs to go right for success.  Just get the feeling I am going to enjoy the next few years of this team.

Quote: @pumpf said:
@njvike said:

Simple

Actually, when we're evaluating the GM... we FANS do care how many starters and Pro Bowlers he is able to attain for the team.  See, the GM doesn't COACH the team.  His job is to obtain PLAYERS.  And if he is obtaining good players, then he has done his job.  If we have a team stocked with draft picks who start and players that attend the Pro-Bowl every year, I wouldn't blame the GM if we're not winning playoff games consistently (whatever that means).  I'd blame the coach.

But, then again, I don't have a personal axe to grind against RS...
This.

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
On paper I'd say the Eagles are the most talented team in the NFC, not the Vikings

Dont see this as all chips-in by RS. Talented roster, built over time. Far from 09 & Bert

The hope for KC is how he does here, this system, this running game, this defense and WR's

All we can ask as fans is for the owenership and front office to give us a real chance over time @ a SB WIN. As a fan for 40+ years I'd say they've done that now. 
Eagles are the team to beat, but on paper I think the Vikings are better. I think the Vikings were better last year, too. We didn't get blown out because we were less talented. We got blown out because we were outsmarted. That and Nick Foles played out of his mind. But if anyone thinks Nick Foles is now a perennial super bowl winning QB, I have a bridge to sell. 

I'd probably give the Eagles the edge at OL, and, amazingly enough, DL. Until we see what Richardson can do in our defense, ya gotta give it to the Eagles who added Michael Bennett. And their depth there is better. I do think they'll have to cut Curry though. Wentz gets the nod over Cousins, but anything can happen there. I give the Vikings the edge at WR, RB, DB and LB. 

Curry was released mid-march, he’s a Buc now...

Quote: @Kentis said:
Curry was released mid-march, he’s a Buc now...
See..I tolja! ;-) Guess I missed that in all the Cousins hoopla.