Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Live SKOL Show w/Geoff Nichols
Aside from the awesome bracket debate, just a reminder were going to be joined by Geoff Nichols tonight! Show starts at 9pm Central and you can interact and ask questions in the mixlr chat during the show. 
https://t.co/XzLm7Tqvum

For those who cant make it live, we’ll post a link tonight or in the morning!

Had a great time on the SKOL show. Give it a listen for some draft coverage 

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
I have to agree,  the greatest Viking ever has to be Page,  from what he did on the field in purple,  to what he did in his post playing days,  to what he continues to do, using the fame that his days as a Viking gave him with the connections and resources that came from both of his remarkable professional careers,  this has to be Page hands down, no questions asked.

Moss had a huge impact on the game itself, and largely was miscast by the media and wrongfully judged his first time here,  but as a Viking he really didnt do much positively to set himself apart and no offense to him as he was traded away and may have become that guy,  but being a sports commentator isnt really changing lives either.

Randall McDaniel kind of perfected the undersized athletic G IMO,  he was as dominant at that position as we will likely ever see,  add to that he was a great representative off the field and continues to give back to the community through various childrens groups makes him a close second IMO.

I have loved all those players,  some more than others,  but these 2 above really kind of set the bar for me when I think of truly "Great" Vikings.

I think Fran is a turd,  and as great of a football player as AD was, I dont think I could ever really think of him as an all time great in terms of a lifetime representing the team.  Not trying to diss the rest of the guys on the list,  they may be doing great things away from the game that I am unaware of and deserve more recognition.
I like your write up a lot and respect your opinion. I agree with all of it except For me it is still Moss by a large margin.

Quote: @Poiple said:
@JimmyinSD said:
I have to agree,  the greatest Viking ever has to be Page,  from what he did on the field in purple,  to what he did in his post playing days,  to what he continues to do, using the fame that his days as a Viking gave him with the connections and resources that came from both of his remarkable professional careers,  this has to be Page hands down, no questions asked.

Moss had a huge impact on the game itself, and largely was miscast by the media and wrongfully judged his first time here,  but as a Viking he really didnt do much positively to set himself apart and no offense to him as he was traded away and may have become that guy,  but being a sports commentator isnt really changing lives either.

Randall McDaniel kind of perfected the undersized athletic G IMO,  he was as dominant at that position as we will likely ever see,  add to that he was a great representative off the field and continues to give back to the community through various childrens groups makes him a close second IMO.

I have loved all those players,  some more than others,  but these 2 above really kind of set the bar for me when I think of truly "Great" Vikings.

I think Fran is a turd,  and as great of a football player as AD was, I dont think I could ever really think of him as an all time great in terms of a lifetime representing the team.  Not trying to diss the rest of the guys on the list,  they may be doing great things away from the game that I am unaware of and deserve more recognition.
I like your write up a lot and respect your opinion. I agree with all of it except For me it is still Moss by a large margin.

I agree and I respect the write up as well Jimmy.
That was a different era. IMO its like comparing Bill Russell to Michael Jordan. Many say its Bill... Well, many were not even on the planet in 69' and its Jordan with a bullet.
Good for Page. Different era where defenses dominated a passing game that was damn near non existent in comparison to the way Moss revolutionized offense.
I guess in an era where kickers kicked straight on... shouldn't be on the same level as how the game has evolved. IMO

Quote: @Canthony said:
@Poiple said:
@JimmyinSD said:

That was a different era. IMO its like comparing Bill Russell to Michael Jordan. Many say its Bill... Well, many were not even on the planet in 69' and its Jordan with a bullet.
Good for Page. Different era where defenses dominated a passing game that was damn near non existent in comparison to the way Moss revolutionized offense.
I guess in an era where kickers kicked straight on... shouldn't be on the same level as how the game has evolved. IMO

I guess you just had to be there.  Smile

Quote: @Canthony said:
@Poiple said:
@JimmyinSD said:

you are only weighing the on field part.  IMO there is much more to being a Vikings than just what they do between the lines.  This is about all time greatest Viking and IMO that doesnt stop when they take the jersey off.  Its about how they conducted themselves off the field and in their years away from the playing aspect of being a Viking.  Bud hasnt coached (or likely contributed much to the on field part of the game for a couple decades,  but is anybody going to say he isnt still a Viking?  Nope.

If I were a GM and created a check list of traits that I want a player to have that I am bringing into my organization I think Page checks about every box I could imagine,  and there are very few players that have played this game for any team that I think would do that.  A true role model of a human in all aspects of being a Viking.

Quote: @ArizonaViking said:
@Canthony said:
@Poiple said:
@JimmyinSD said:

I guess you just had to be there.  Smile
thats just it... I wasnt,  but I have seen enough footage, read enough on him, and heard enough from those that were there to think that Page and only a slight distance back McDaniel,  would have to be tops on that list for me.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
@Canthony said:
@Poiple said:
@JimmyinSD said:

you are only weighing the on field part.  IMO there is much more to being a Vikings than just what they do between the lines.  This is about all time greatest Viking and IMO that doesnt stop when they take the jersey off.  Its about how they conducted themselves off the field and in their years away from the playing aspect of being a Viking.  Bud hasnt coached (or likely contributed much to the on field part of the game for a couple decades,  but is anybody going to say he isnt still a Viking?  Nope.

If I were a GM and created a check list of traits that I want a player to have that I am bringing into my organization I think Page checks about every box I could imagine,  and there are very few players that have played this game for any team that I think would do that.  A true role model of a human in all aspects of being a Viking.
I never saw Page play so I'm 100% on the Moss train here.  I do however disagree with the post Viking involvement.  Its great that some of them want to be involved after the fact but that shouldn't have any bearing on how impactful they were as a player and as a Viking in my mind.  Course its only my opinion, sure to be wrong!!! 

Quote: @AGRforever said:
@JimmyinSD said:
@Canthony said:
@Poiple said:
@JimmyinSD said:

I never saw Page play so I'm 100% on the Moss train here.  I do however disagree with the post Viking involvement.  Its great that some of them want to be involved after the fact but that shouldn't have any bearing on how impactful they were as a player and as a Viking in my mind.  Course its only my opinion, sure to be wrong!!! 
so once a player is gone or even once they are off the field you dont factor in their actions in your opinions of them?  IMO (just one person speaking here)  part of what makes me cheer like hell for a guy as part of our team is who they are as a person.  Its hard to really say I am a fan of ,   you still cheer for the teams success when they are part of a great play, but I have a hard time saying player X was a great Viking.  ( I keep wanting to say smoot, but as he wasnt that great of a player his name really shouldnt come up)

Here is the itunes link to the show...
https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hrn/...3Fp%3D1642

You can also hit up HomersRadio.com and download the show there! Thanks again to Geoff for coming on! He dropped some solod draft knowledge!