Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who We're Talking To

Cappa is an interesting player. Has not faced anything like NFL level competition. But he totally dominated the poor saps he played against. Mayock said his was the nastiest tape he had ever seen.

Quote: @dadevike said:
Cappa is an interesting player. Has not faced anything like NFL level competition. But he totally dominated the poor saps he played against. Mayock said his was the nastiest tape he had ever seen.
He showed really well at the Senior Bowl too if I remember correctly.

I know this is only half of the top 30 they have confirmed, but Hughes and Reid are the only first round talent on
this list. I'm assuming Spielman won't even invite the top OLine prospects on their board in order to keep everything close to vest on who they really like and are targeting. 
  • CB – Mike Hughes, Central Florida
  • CB – Davontae Harris, Illinois State
  • DE – Kemoko Turay, Rutgers
  • DT – P.J. Hall, Sam Houston State
  • DT – Nathan Shepherd, Fort Hays State
  • G/C – Frank Ragnow, Arkansas
  • LB – Jack Cichy, Wisconsin
  • LB – Quentin Poling, Ohio
  • OT – Alex Cappa, Humboldt State
  • RB – Nyheim Hines, N.C. State
  • S – Justin Reid, Stanford
  • WR – Jeff Badet, Oklahoma
  • WR – Dante Pettis, Washington
  • WR – Jake Wieneke, South Dakota State

I like the idea of picking Justin Reid #1. He would help all DB positions and make our secondary potentially the best in the NFL. He's a Stanford player - if Denny Green were still coach, it would be a given we would pick Reid!! Except that he's a DB, and Denny thought those could be manufactured from failed WRs..
Or we could have Justin's older brother without using a draft pick.

What?  No QB's??  Wink

Quote: @Jor-El said:
I like the idea of picking Justin Reid #1. He would help all DB positions and make our secondary potentially the best in the NFL. He's a Stanford player - if Denny Green were still coach, it would be a given we would pick Reid!! Except that he's a DB, and Denny thought those could be manufactured from failed WRs..
I like the idea of signing Eric Reid and saving a high draft pick. There are 2 important counter-arguments: (1). E. Reid could be a bit expensive considering our cap space and the need to extend several players; and (2) signing Eric would likely cost us a decent comp pick in next year’s draft.  Other than these considerations, I would prefer to sign Eric and save the draft pick.

Quote:  @dadevike said:
@Jor-El said:
I like the idea of signing Eric Reid and saving a high draft pick. There are 2 important counter-arguments: (1). E. Reid could be a bit expensive considering our cap space and the need to extend several players; and (2) signing Eric would likely cost us a decent comp pick in next year’s draft.  Other than these considerations, I would prefer to sign Eric and save the draft pick.

Safeties are not getting FA offers this year: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/safeties-arent-getting-paid-this-offseason-and-eric-reid-could-be-a-big-reason-why/
It's pretty shocking when you consider we were in a bidding war for George Iloka - a more limited safety - two years ago.
I bet we could get Reid with a 2-year deal that would pay him $9M - exactly what Sendejo will be paid for 2018 and 2019. But we would have to waive Sendejo to pay a player who is 5 years younger and far better in coverage...
We would also be helping the NFL defeat the perception that they are colluding to keep certain players out of the league.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
 @dadevike said:
@Jor-El said:

Safeties are not getting FA offers this year: https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/safeties-arent-getting-paid-this-offseason-and-eric-reid-could-be-a-big-reason-why/
It's pretty shocking when you consider we were in a bidding war for George Iloka - a more limited safety - two years ago.
I bet we could get Reid with a 2-year deal that would pay him $9M - exactly what Sendejo will be paid for 2018 and 2019. But we would have to waive Sendejo to pay a player who is 5 years younger and far better in coverage...
We would also be helping the NFL defeat the perception that they are colluding to keep certain players out of the league.
I noticed that about FA safeties. I like Tre Boston, too.  It’s kinda cold to cut Sendejo who has gotten better every year, but RS’s job is to upgrade the talent on the team. If he can do that for even money, seems like a no brainer. Boston and Reid are both better in coverage than Sendejo. 

They would still cost us a comp pick in next year’s draft.