Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sheldon Richardson thinks Vikings’ defense will bring out his best
The Vikings were effusive in their praise of Sheldon Richardson when they signed the defensive tackle to a free-agent contract in March. General manager Rick Spielman went so far as to say “there’s no reason why he shouldn’t be in the Pro Bowl year in, year out.”
Richardson, 27, is fine with such lofty expectations. On Wednesday, he suggested his are even higher.
“I’d rather have all-pro than Pro Bowl,” Richardson said following a practice during organized team activities. “That’s more respectable, being an all-pro than a Pro Bowler.”
Richardson has yet to reach the level of all-pro in his five years in the NFL, but he did make the Pro Bowl in 2014 with the New York Jets. He says he only can imagine how good Minnesota’s defense could be in 2018 with another highly decorated player.
https://www.twincities.com/2018/05/30/fo...d-all-pro/

“I played against him last year in Seattle, and he’s an outstanding defensive lineman and has had a great career thus far,” Cousins said. “If he can really be a powerful force for us on the interior of the defensive line, it’s going to make a major difference.”
Vikings offensive lineman Mike Remmers called Richardson a “great pickup,” and figures going against such a “great athlete” in practice can only lift his game. Minnesota coach Mike Zimmer said Richardson has “done good” during the first two weeks of OTAs and has “been doing everything like we ask him to do.”

“I’m picking up (defensive line coach Andre Patterson’s) techniques and I’m learning a whole new way to pass rush,” he said. “It’s taken a little longer than what I expected, but I’m definitely coming along.”

Being between Linval and Hunter he'll be getting single-blocked all game long.  He's perfectly set up to wreak havoc. 

Quote: @purplefaithful said:
“I’m picking up (defensive line coach Andre Patterson’s) techniques and I’m learning a whole new way to pass rush,” he said. “It’s taken a little longer than what I expected, but I’m definitely coming along.”
Plus the guy is only 27 years old. He'll be a wrecking machine inside. Can't emphasize enough how important he's going to be on D.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@purplefaithful said:
Plus the guy is only 27 years old. He'll be a wrecking machine inside. Can't emphasize enough how important he's going to be on D.
Our biggest signing on the DL since JA...

Quote: @StickyBun said:
@purplefaithful said:
This was an A+ addition this off-season.  Zimmer finally has a "Geno Atkins" for his defense instead of platooning two one dimensional players at 3T.

We can't forget this guy was a top 10 draft pick just a couple years ago.  He was miscast a bit in the Jets 3-4 defense and still put up some big numbers.

It's hard to improve the #1 defense in the NFL, but the Vikings did just that.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
@StickyBun said:
@purplefaithful said:
This was an A+ addition this off-season.  Zimmer finally has a "Geno Atkins" for his defense instead of platooning two one dimensional players at 3T.

Yes sir. There is no substitute for pressure up the middle on a QB. It makes great QBs look bad, even the best of them. You chase a guy out from the pocket and then he's got to contend with athletic beasts like Griffen and Hunter. 4 straight up bad asses starting on the D-line.