Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Price or Daniels?
A lot of Mocks have Price falling out of the first with his Pec injury which I think is being overblown. 

I would jump at the chance to take him at 30 because he will not be there for us in Round 2. We might be able to trade down
into the early second and still get him, but that is a gamble. I'm assuming that Wynn, Hernandez, McGlinchey, Williams, Nelson will
all be gone. Daniels is a solid late first/early second pick with the same versatility as Price. 

If both are available at 30 and we don't trade down, who would you select? The question I have, is once you have a Pec injury like Price
suffered, are you susceptible to future injuries? A full blown tear could put a lineman out for an entire season. If he will be a consistent
injury risk, Daniels might be a safer option without much of a drop off in talent. 

Thoughts?

I've seen multiple mocks with Hernandez in our laps at 30.  I personally like the idea of Price for two reasons:  1) position flexibility...C/G (we no longer have Joe Berger to backup C), and probably more important, chemistry with former Buckeye Elflein.  The latter is assumed, but probably not a good enough reason.

The guy I really want at 30?  The best OLman available, whoever that is, that Zim Tsu can plug and play as a starter.  Cousins is too valuable to leave this need to a mid-round pick. 

Quote: @TBro said:
A lot of Mocks have Price falling out of the first with his Pec injury which I think is being overblown. 

I would jump at the chance to take him at 30 because he will not be there for us in Round 2. We might be able to trade down
into the early second and still get him, but that is a gamble. I'm assuming that Wynn, Hernandez, McGlinchey, Williams, Nelson will
all be gone. Daniels is a solid late first/early second pick with the same versatility as Price. 

If both are available at 30 and we don't trade down, who would you select? The question I have, is once you have a Pec injury like Price
suffered, are you susceptible to future injuries? A full blown tear could put a lineman out for an entire season. If he will be a consistent
injury risk, Daniels might be a safer option without much of a drop off in talent. 

Thoughts?
Yea I have been scrutinizing the same scenario as you with Price/Wynn/Hernandez/Daniels etc...

A lot of Mocks do have Price falling but as you said maybe down into the 45 range at the furthest.  Then again, a fair amount still have Price going in the first.

I have seen Wynn and Daniels both go in the teens and early 20's very frequently with Hernandez dropping to us at 30 the most frequent of the group.

Daniels is a pure Center and I don't want to move Elflein so I am not keen on him.  

Our in-house draft guru - Geoff - likes Wynn the most of the group and says that he is ideal for our ZBS.  Geoff indicates that he would be willing to move up for Wynn and give up a 3rd to get to the 23/24 spot and grab him.

I was liking Hernandez the best just because he is a Guard and always has been and is 6'3  330 so a run mauler.  But Geoff and others pointed out that he is best as a mono vs mono and not ZBS, so I will defer to them.  I think Geoff would still like Hernandez but just not as much as Wynn.  Wynn played a lot of Tackle so the versatility is always a positive.  

Then you have Price - kinda flip and flopped some like Elflein from Guard to Center and they did that together for 3 years and then Price took over for Elflein at Center last year.  I think both Elflein and then Price won the best Center in football awards back to back at OSU - pretty cool.  That all said, again I don't want to move a good thing like Elflein at Center so if Price is best fit at Guard then I am all for.  Price is another one who "some" folks indicate might be best at man to man.

Finally,  If we are sitting there at 30 and a guy like Hernandez and Price is still on the board do you take Hernandez or do trade down no more then 8-10 spots and take the chance on getting Price and picking up another 3rd rounder????  Interesting for sure!   I just want a day one starting Guard from this draft in the mold of Elflein last year!

Both are different types of interior lineman so its not an apples to apples comparison. Price is more of a mauler who wants to beat you up, Daniels is more of a finesse player who will beat you with speed/explosiveness and good technique. The only concern I have with Daniels is his play strength. He uses more leverage than strength to anchor and at times he appears to be working extremely hard on bull rushers. With bigger, faster, and stronger players in the NFL will he be able to sustain? Price's injury is unfortunate but it shouldn't impact him moving forward. I personally lean towards Price to give a bit of a different flavor to Easton, but it is very close and wouldn't have a problem with Daniels.  

Quote: @"Geoff Nichols" said:
Both are different types of interior lineman so its not an apples to apples comparison. Price is more of a mauler who wants to beat you up, Daniels is more of a finesse player who will beat you with speed/explosiveness and good technique. The only concern I have with Daniels is his play strength. He uses more leverage than strength to anchor and at times he appears to be working extremely hard on bull rushers. With bigger, faster, and stronger players in the NFL will he be able to sustain? Price's injury is unfortunate but it shouldn't impact him moving forward. I personally lean towards Price to give a bit of a different flavor to Easton, but it is very close and wouldn't have a problem with Daniels.  
From your description, I think Price would fit more at that RG spot and perhaps be a better backup center than Easton.  If nothing else, we have 3 guys with position flexibility on the interior.

As to his pec, it was a partial tear, correct?  Aren't those more likely to be re-injured?  Don't know for sure, but that is what came to mind when I saw that it was partial and he was letting it heal rather than surgery.

when talking about position flexibility and who can fit where.  What did we get in that G/C guy that we signed that was with the Eagles last year?  Is he simply a camp guy or is he a guy that we can expect to be in the mix for one of the starting guard positions?  If he and Easton both stick that right there gives us 2 back up centers so I really wouldnt be to worried about that in the draft if there is a G only guy that will dominate,  I wouldnt get to hung up on him not being able to play center at this time.

Quote: @minny65 said:
@TBro said:

Thoughts?
Yea I have been scrutinizing the same scenario as you with Price/Wynn/Hernandez/Daniels etc...

A lot of Mocks do have Price falling but as you said maybe down into the 45 range at the furthest.  Then again, a fair amount still have Price going in the first.

I have seen Wynn and Daniels both go in the teens and early 20's very frequently with Hernandez dropping to us at 30 the most frequent of the group.

Daniels is a pure Center and I don't want to move Elflein so I am not keen on him.  

Our in-house draft guru - Geoff - likes Wynn the most of the group and says that he is ideal for our ZBS.  Geoff indicates that he would be willing to move up for Wynn and give up a 3rd to get to the 23/24 spot and grab him.

I was liking Hernandez the best just because he is a Guard and always has been and is 6'3  330 so a run mauler.  But Geoff and others pointed out that he is best as a mono vs mono and not ZBS, so I will defer to them.  I think Geoff would still like Hernandez but just not as much as Wynn.  Wynn played a lot of Tackle so the versatility is always a positive.  

Then you have Price - kinda flip and flopped some like Elflein from Guard to Center and they did that together for 3 years and then Price took over for Elflein at Center last year.  I think both Elflein and then Price won the best Center in football awards back to back at OSU - pretty cool.  That all said, again I don't want to move a good thing like Elflein at Center so if Price is best fit at Guard then I am all for.  Price is another one who "some" folks indicate might be best at man to man.

Finally,  If we are sitting there at 30 and a guy like Hernandez and Price is still on the board do you take Hernandez or do trade down no more then 8-10 spots and take the chance on getting Price and picking up another 3rd rounder????  Interesting for sure!   I just want a day one starting Guard from this draft in the mold of Elflein last year!
If we trade down a few spots into the early second, one of Price, Daniels, or Kolton Miller should be available for us to select. I don't think Hernandez drops out of the first. I will disagree with you on Daniels as a pure center. He played both guard spots as a Freshman and was full time at Center his Sophomore and Junior seasons. Price and Daniels have great position flexibility for an Interior Lineman. Geoff is correct that they are two different athletes with Daniels being more of a finesse player with excellent technique. His ability to get to the second level and actually connect with his man is better than anyone in this draft IMO. As far as which one of Price or Daniels would make a better guard I think will depend on what type of blocking scheme our new offensive coordinator wants to run and from what I've read, DeFillipo incorporates multiple blocking schemes and formations to confuse opponents. That might actually make Daniels a better choice. Daniels Football IQ is amazing. He really impressed me with his interviews at the combine, and he is only 20 years old so he has the potential to fill out and add some more weight to his 6'4" 295 lb frame. 

Having said that, I like the idea of trading up to get Wynn vs trading down into the second for whichever OLineman is left on the board. Adding more picks in the later rounds isn't going to help this team win this year. Wynn is a beast who can play any position on the line including Tackle even though he is a bit short for NFL standards. He would immediately fix our Guard issues for many years to come.  

Quote: @greediron said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
From your description, I think Price would fit more at that RG spot and perhaps be a better backup center than Easton.  If nothing else, we have 3 guys with position flexibility on the interior.

As to his pec, it was a partial tear, correct?  Aren't those more likely to be re-injured?  Don't know for sure, but that is what came to mind when I saw that it was partial and he was letting it heal rather than surgery.
He had the surgery soon after the combine.
3-6-18Ohio State center Billy Price has surgery for pectoral injuryOhio State center and potential first-round NFL draft pick Billy Price underwent successful surgery on his "incomplete pec tear" Tuesday, a source told ESPN's Adam Schefter.
Price is expected to be sidelined four months but should be ready for the start of training camp. Surgery is not expected to alter his draft stock, a source said. A second medical opinion recommended the surgery.
http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2018/story/_/id/22669196/ohio-state-center-billy-price-surgery-pectoral-injury

Quote: @TBro said:
@minny65 said:
@TBro said:

Thoughts?

If we trade down a few spots into the early second, one of Price, Daniels, or Kolton Miller should be available for us to select. I don't think Hernandez drops out of the first. I will disagree with you on Daniels as a pure center. He played both guard spots as a Freshman and was full time at Center his Sophomore and Junior seasons. Price and Daniels have great position flexibility for an Interior Lineman. Geoff is correct that they are two different athletes with Daniels being more of a finesse player with excellent technique. His ability to get to the second level and actually connect with his man is better than anyone in this draft IMO. As far as which one of Price or Daniels would make a better guard I think will depend on what type of blocking scheme our new offensive coordinator wants to run and from what I've read, DeFillipo incorporates multiple blocking schemes and formations to confuse opponents. That might actually make Daniels a better choice. Daniels Football IQ is amazing. He really impressed me with his interviews at the combine, and he is only 20 years old so he has the potential to fill out and add some more weight to his 6'4" 295 lb frame. 

Having said that, I like the idea of trading up to get Wynn vs trading down into the second for whichever OLineman is left on the board. Adding more picks in the later rounds isn't going to help this team win this year. Wynn is a beast who can play any position on the line including Tackle even though he is a bit short for NFL standards. He would immediately fix our Guard issues for many years to come.  
Nice, between you and geoff I am jumping all over the move up for Wynn scenario - a Wynn/Win.  Hopefully is still on the board at 23 because that is where our 3rd rounder will get us close too - around 23rd pick.  

How about neither?

I would wait and draft Wyatt Teller int he 3rd or 4th.