Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So... this changes everything... or does it? New tackling Rule
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/nfl/opi...li=BBnba9I

The newest NFL rule is short and sweet. "It is a (15-yard) foul if a player lowers his head to initiate and make contact with his helmet against an opponent." 

This is going to be a mess.

Flag football.  It's coming...

the rule in principal makes sense,  but I doubt the refs will enforce it in spirit,  it will end up being like holding or pass interference,  it will end up being open to interpretation and get used as a way for the refs to influence the outcome of a game.

also i suspect that it will get enforced very lopsidedly.   They enacted this rule about 10 years ago when they told the offensive players that they couldnt lower their heads to meet contact,  but I never once saw it enforced that I recall.  we as Vikings fans were buzzing about it because that was when AD was at the height of his attacking the tacklers and he often used his head as a way to initiate contact.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
the rule in principal makes sense,  but I doubt the refs will enforce it in spirit,  it will end up being like holding or pass interference,  it will end up being open to interpretation and get used as a way for the refs to influence the outcome of a game.
Was just reading about that.  Seems the coaches really wanted this and got it added to the agenda.

Yes, in principal, it makes sense.  But as with many things in the NFL, I doubt it will be properly enforced.  And hopefully it goes both ways.  If an offensive player drops his head, it should be treated the same.

The biggest problem is how fast the NFL is.  A defender may have to layout to make the tackle, not to initiate contact with the head, but in laying out, their helmet is out there and if the offensive player changes direction, suddenly the "intent" is being judged by the ref.

They want defenders to use a missile drop kick; ball carriers wont be ruled down until theyve been pinned for a 3 count.

So if they lead with their helmet but initiate contact with their shoulder pads its all good correct?

Quote: @AGRforever said:
So if they lead with their helmet but initiate contact with their shoulder pads its all good correct?
we already have trouble with that and they hadnt made it a rule not to do it yet.  I see several calls a year where the defender gets flagged,  but the illegal contact is because of a reaction or what ever by the ball carrier.

and in case there wont be enough referee created drama for this year... they are currently working on an NFL version of the targeting rule they hope to enact soon.   thats a shit ass rule when it comes to ruling on intent and being open to interpretation.... pacman and burfict might as well retire right now....Dejo is likely going to get beat up as well on it.

Quote: @JimmyinSD said:
and in case there wont be enough referee created drama for this year... they are currently working on an NFL version of the targeting rule they hope to enact soon.   thats a shit ass rule when it comes to ruling on intent and being open to interpretation.... pacman and burfict might as well retire right now....Dejo is likely going to get beat up as well on it.
They may have to cancel the entire Steeler-Bengal rivalry...