Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Mike Hughes
Quote: @Jor-El said:
@"Geoff Nichols" said:
@purplefaithful said:
Someone convince me a rook corner can come-in and play slot effectively in Zimm's D...
Someone convince me that Mac was actually bad in the slot last year  :#  (yes, I'm serious)

EDIT - my point here isn't that Mackensie isn't replaceable. Its that he was still adjusting to the role and that he often got picked on being the weakest link in a good defense. So while he wasn't a lock down corner, he is being picked on way too much both here and across Vikings media land. 
I actually agree with this; I thought Alexander was OK. Probably better than Waynes was in his 2nd season.
On many NFL teams, a safety helps with slot coverage. I think Smith is fine when called on for that role, but is Sendejo very good against a slot WR or quick RB? I would sure rather add a fast S than a CB.

Smith can cover in the slot really well but occasionally has issue with TE's. Sendejo has made strides in the past few years but still struggles in man-to-man coverage. In Zimmer's D he is much better in a two high look or in a 1-high robber look. Instead of being in man situations it protects him and allows him to either make sure nobody gets behind him, or moves him towards the box to play the run. 

Depending on how the draft board falls Justin Reid is a very intriguing options for MN at the end of round one. He can play all 5 DB spots and is very good both high and low as a safety. He's in the mold of Harrison Smith on the field. He can cover over the top, play man in the slot, and can blitz off the edge. They don't "need" a replacement for Sendejo, but Reid could be an upgrade and save them a good chunk of money in 2019 if he takes over full time for Dejo who would be in the last year of his current deal.