Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
So, Taking All The FA Contracts We Signed, Vs The FA Contract Lost
And I think we get a couple of sweet comp picks in 2019...I believe SporTrac accurately figured we'd get two 6 th rounders this year...I have to think we land at least one 3rd rounder next year...

Overthecap has a chart that they are updating to try and predict the compensatory picks next year.

https://overthecap.com/compensatory-draf...ion-chart/

Right now it has the Vikings getting a 3rd for Keenum, a 6th for Teddy, and two 7th round picks for Johnson and Stephen.

It does not list Sirles as a qualifying free agent so that means compensatory picks do not apply to RFAs lost.

I am not a big fan of hoping for compensatory picks in terms of how the team approaches free agency.

I prefer the team to do whatever they need to do to get better but it is clear that some teams actually plan to try and get as many of those compensatory picks as possible.  Could be smart considering many free agents do no pan out and the cost is high at times.

I prefer the Vikings were proactive like the Patriots and trade away a player they are not going to keep like a Percy Harvin.  They really should have traded Allen instead of letting him get 14.28 mil (with a 17.1 mil cap hit) prior to the 2014 season.

The Patriots traded away Chandler Jones for a 2nd round pick and Jamie Collins for a high 3rd instead of waiting and hoping on a compensatory pick and then handcuffing themselves in free agency even if they do not do much.

If the Vikings do not believe they can extend Barr or Diggs or Kendricks or Hunter and are not going to use the franchise tag on one of them then they need to trade them now as long as they can get a 3rd round pick or higher.

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
Overthecap has a chart that they are updating to try and predict the compensatory picks next year.

Right now it has the Vikings getting a 3rd for Keenum, a 6th for Teddy, and two 7th round picks for Johnson and Stephen.

It does not list Sirles as a qualifying free agent so that means compensatory picks do not apply to RFAs lost.

I am not a big fan of hoping for compensatory picks in terms of how the team approaches free agency.

I prefer the team to do whatever they need to do to get better but it is clear that some teams actually plan to try and get as many of those compensatory picks as possible.  Could be smart considering many free agents do no pan out and the cost is high at times.

I prefer the Vikings were proactive like the Patriots and trade away a player they are not going to keep like a Percy Harvin.  They really should have traded Allen instead of letting him get 14.28 mil (with a 17.1 mil cap hit) prior to the 2014 season.

The Patriots traded away Chandler Jones for a 2nd round pick and Jamie Collins for a high 3rd instead of waiting and hoping on a compensatory pick and then handcuffing themselves in free agency even if they do not do much.

If the Vikings do not believe they can extend Barr or Diggs or Kendricks or Hunter and are not going to use the franchise tag on one of them then they need to trade them now as long as they can get a 3rd round pick or higher.
No. Just... no.

Quote: @claykenny said:
@MarkSP18 said:

No. Just... no.
So if they cannot extend all of them what is your solution? 

Let them leave in free agency then hope for a compensatory pick the following year?

I hope that they can reach agreements on all 4 and keep them as Vikings.

But if there is no deal then they should be proactive.

A 3rd, 6th, and two 7ths sounds about right.  I think we would have been in line for another 4th or 5th for McKinnon if we didn't sign Richardson.

Bottom line, the Vikings should have some nice draft capital next year with a few extra comp picks...  good opportunity to replenish our depth and find some cheap starters.

Quote: @Wetlander said:
A 3rd, 6th, and two 7ths sounds about right.  I think we would have been in line for another 4th or 5th for McKinnon if we didn't sign Richardson.

Bottom line, the Vikings should have some nice draft capital next year with a few extra comp picks...  good opportunity to replenish our depth and find some cheap starters.
Bradford's deal in AZ was really a boon. It allowed them to keep their 3rd round pick from losing Keenum. But anytime you can max out with 4 comp picks you are going to have some real flexibility. 

Quote: @MarkSP18 said:
@claykenny said:
@MarkSP18 said:

No. Just... no.
So if they cannot extend all of them what is your solution? 

Let them leave in free agency then hope for a compensatory pick the following year?

I hope that they can reach agreements on all 4 and keep them as Vikings.

But if there is no deal then they should be proactive.
The goal is to win this year. Trading any of these four will have a significant impact on their ability to win this year. Who is going to step in and equal or exceed production of any of those players in 2018?

I would rather lose all four with compensatory picks and a Super Bowl win in return than start trading away key pieces of the team for lottery tickets that may or may not contribute in 2019 and beyond and reduce the chance of winning a Super Bowl now.