Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Will Adrian Peterson play in 2018?
Quote: @comet52 said:
@mgobluevikes said:
Hard to believe Frank Gore is that far ahead of him. Classic turtle vs. the hare scenario.
Volume stats don't tell the story very accurately.   Gore isn't even top 20 in all time rush yards/game, but AD is 4th and he and Bell are the only active guys on the list:

RankPlayerY/GYearsTm
1Jim Brown+104.31957-1965cle
2Barry Sanders+99.81989-1998det
3Terrell Davis+97.51995-2001den
4Adrian Peterson92.32007-20173TM
5Eric Dickerson+90.81983-19934TM
6Walter Payton+88.01975-1987chi
7Clinton Portis87.82002-20102TM
8Le'Veon Bell86.12013-2017pit
9Billy Sims85.11980-1984det
10Curtis Martin+83.91995-20052TM
11O.J. Simpson+83.21969-19792TM
12Edgerrin James82.71999-20093TM
13Earl Campbell+81.81978-19852TM
14Arian Foster81.62009-20162TM
15Emmitt Smith+81.21990-20042TM
16Jamal Lewis81.02000-20092TM
17LaDainian Tomlinson+80.52001-20112TM
18Domanick Williams79.92003-2005htx
19George Rogers78.01981-19872TM
20Shaun Alexander76.92000-20082TM
But in this instance volume stats do tell the story very accurately...

Quote: @comet52 said:
@mgobluevikes said:
Hard to believe Frank Gore is that far ahead of him. Classic turtle vs. the hare scenario.
Volume stats don't tell the story very accurately.   Gore isn't even top 20 in all time rush yards/game, but AD is 4th and he and Bell are the only active guys on the list:

RankPlayerY/GYearsTm
1Jim Brown+104.31957-1965cle
2Barry Sanders+99.81989-1998det
3Terrell Davis+97.51995-2001den
4Adrian Peterson92.32007-20173TM
5Eric Dickerson+90.81983-19934TM
6Walter Payton+88.01975-1987chi
7Clinton Portis87.82002-20102TM
8Le'Veon Bell86.12013-2017pit
9Billy Sims85.11980-1984det
10Curtis Martin+83.91995-20052TM
11O.J. Simpson+83.21969-19792TM
12Edgerrin James82.71999-20093TM
13Earl Campbell+81.81978-19852TM
14Arian Foster81.62009-20162TM
15Emmitt Smith+81.21990-20042TM
16Jamal Lewis81.02000-20092TM
17LaDainian Tomlinson+80.52001-20112TM
18Domanick Williams79.92003-2005htx
19George Rogers78.01981-19872TM
20Shaun Alexander76.92000-20082TM
This is not the stat AP, thinks he can beat.

If he could manage to play more than a couple of games per season, that average would come down quickly.

2013 -2017
3,472 yards,
44 games (out of 80) 
3,472 / 44 = 78.9 yards per game

I hope he goes somewhere and has a good season. He was a joy to watch play here for many years.

Quote: @Montana Tom said:
To answer the original question...I don't care.  I feel that the Vikings were hamstrung by his demands to be the focus of the offense, instead of a team-approach to winning.  I felt different when he was at his peak, but with the increased perspective of time...he became an albatross around our neck.  So glad Rick said "don't let the door hit ya in the ass on yer way out".
Said it 2 years too late. 

I can't imagine who would sign him, outside of late in training camp/preseason when the surprise injuries start to hit some teams. His skills are eroded because of his age and his pass-block is at the bottom of the barrel. He's a dinosaur to today's modern NFL offenses.

Quote: @StickyBun said:
I can't imagine who would sign him, outside of late in training camp/preseason when the surprise injuries start to hit some teams. His skills are eroded because of his age and his pass-block is at the bottom of the barrel. He's a dinosaur to today's modern NFL offenses.

The missed block that ended Carson Palmer's career is going to hang over him - vivid demonstration that he is as much a potential danger to any team as a possible benefit. I wonder if cutting Peterson was a requirement in Bradford's contract, to improve his odds of staying upright??
My guess is he will get signed in the second month of the season by a team that has injuries or an early losing streak and wants to draw some fans even when it becomes obvious they are going nowhere in 2018. He won't be in camp with anyone and will act like that's of his own choosing, use his old attitude that he doesn't need training camp and his own workouts are so much tougher anyway.

Quote: @Jor-El said:
@StickyBun said:

The missed block that ended Carson Palmer's career is going to hang over him - vivid demonstration that he is as much a potential danger to any team as a possible benefit. I wonder if cutting Peterson was a requirement in Bradford's contract, to improve his odds of staying upright??
My guess is he will get signed in the second month of the season by a team that has injuries or an early losing streak and wants to draw some fans even when it becomes obvious they are going nowhere in 2018. He won't be in camp with anyone and will act like that's of his own choosing, use his old attitude that he doesn't need training camp and his own workouts are so much tougher anyway.
in the day of the cheap rookie deals,  does a team with a bad start to their season really want to bring in somebody that may help them win some meaningless games?   I dont know that I would want to see any desperation attempts anymore for salvaging a season.  I supported the Bradford trade at the time,  and yes it was a whirlwind of crazy circumstances that have led us to this point,  but in hindsight none of the scenarios that we originally envisioned with having 2 then 3 quality QBs has turned out.  maybe we will end up with 1 decent compensatory draft pick out of losing those 3 QBs,  but if you look at what we had invested in Teddy and Sam,  with no real hardware to show for it... that was a losing scenario for the team.   yes its hindsight,  but IMO the smart move would be to just take the loses and look forward to the draft.  sucks but it appears to be a better plan.  AD is not what he once was,  but he could go off for a game or two and really screw up draft positioning for a team just wanting to sell a few extra seats in a losing season.

Quote: @RushmoreVike said:
@Jor-El said:
@StickyBun said:

in the day of the cheap rookie deals,  does a team with a bad start to their season really want to bring in somebody that may help them win some meaningless games?   I dont know that I would want to see any desperation attempts anymore for salvaging a season.  I supported the Bradford trade at the time,  and yes it was a whirlwind of crazy circumstances that have led us to this point,  but in hindsight none of the scenarios that we originally envisioned with having 2 then 3 quality QBs has turned out.  maybe we will end up with 1 decent compensatory draft pick out of losing those 3 QBs,  but if you look at what we had invested in Teddy and Sam,  with no real hardware to show for it... that was a losing scenario for the team.   yes its hindsight,  but IMO the smart move would be to just take the loses and look forward to the draft.  sucks but it appears to be a better plan.  AD is not what he once was,  but he could go off for a game or two and really screw up draft positioning for a team just wanting to sell a few extra seats in a losing season.
Not arguing with you; no logic to bringing him in for any club, just as it made no sense for Arizona (or New Orleans) in 2017.

I sure hope the Vikings are not in any situation to be tempted to pull a PR stunt with Peterson.

Quote: @RushmoreVike said:
@Jor-El said:
@StickyBun said:

I was a big proponent of picking up a cheap vet and running with Hill and whoever, caught a lot of shit for that.  But in the end we netted at most 7 wins and I'd say Hill could have won at least a few.  Maybe Barnett would have helped vs the Eagles this year-just getting him off the field for them would have been a bonus.